Thread: Big Brown

Default Big Brown

kent took bb to the outside just as the rail opened what did you see

Posted via Mobile Device

2. Default Re: big brown

Kent said in an interview after the race, "I had no horse." That tells me Big Brown was out of gas. It was obvious Kent Desormeaux was urging Big Brown on and BB was not responding. I think it was a combination of the hoof injury, less time to prepare for the race because of the injury, the heat, the length of the race, and possibly not having he benefits of Winstrol.

Default Re: big brown

That was the most anticlimatic 2 minutes of my life. I was sure I was going to see the trip crown today and just realized that horses are athletes just like humans, they have really amazing days, and sometimes they come out and lay an egg.

Yea I watched the race a few times and it really looked as though Big Brown wasnt as sharp as he has been. Seemed like he fought Kent for the first part of the race, but settled in rather nicely, but was just out of gas when he was asked to run on two different occasions. Just wish we could have seen a triple crown winner today.

Would have loved to have seen the Triple Crown today, but I guess nature just wasn't having it. I'm frankly just glad that Desormeaux didn't push the horse at the end and there be some sort of disaster like at the Kentucky Derby or Barbaro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    kent took bb to the outside just as the rail opened what did you see

Posted via http://igeaux.mobi
    My guess is that Kent followed the gameplan given to him. Especially after all of the criticism he received for maybe going too early with Real Quiet.

BB probably would have been in the lead turning for home had Kent let BB take the lead down the backstretch. Kent said BB wanted it a couple of times and he held him steady.

But, I believe BB still would have run out of gas down the stretch no matter what Kent did.

The quarter crack in the hoof cost too many days of training leading up to the race.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Having a crack in your hoof is bad. but having a hoof in your crack is worse. You wouldn't being taking a "big brown" too fast either.

8. Default Re: big brown

A million different scenarios could have played out. There was a fair amount of jockeying going on. . . .

Big Brown had what it took to take the early lead but because of Real Quite he was held back, it looked like being held back and maneuvered was a little draining on Big Brown.

While it’s obvious Big Brown did not have what it took to catch the leaders it does not mean if he were in the lead he wouldn’t have had enough to maintain his lead.

We will never know though, I do know he is better than a last place finish. I hated seeing him go Real Quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    While it’s obvious Big Brown did not have what it took to catch the leaders it does not mean if he were in the lead he wouldn’t have had enough to maintain his lead.

That's a real possibilty as well.

I've been around horse racing enough in my life to know that some horses just have a tremendous competitive instinct and don't want another horse to pass them once they're in the lead.

It is also true that holding a horse back too many times when they want to break free can kill that competitve instinct.

The other factor could have been the heat Saturday. If the hoof problem did lead to BB being less than conditioned for the race, the heat could have just sucked the life from him, thus Kent "having no horse" when he turned for home.

Either way, it was just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Having a crack in your hoof is bad. but having a hoof in your crack is worse. You wouldn't being taking a "big brown" too fast either.
    Now that there is funny! Hahaha

Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Information