Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5

Thread: Interesting helmet

Default Re: Interesting helmet

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    _ I think I have mention this before and maybe even in this thread but here's our main problem with uniforms, logos etc. Who exactly are we? Are we UL, ULL, Louisiana Lafayette, UL Lafayette, Louisiana, Lafayette, UL Ragin Cajuns, Ragin Cajuns, ULL Ragin Cajuns or whatever other names you've heard. You get the point. If you take a look at any university whether it be Texas, Florida, Notre Dame, Duke, UNC, and hell even ULM and McNeese you will notice that they have pretty much one or two identifying logos. If I were to guess we would have about 10. We need Logos and Licensing to buckle down and use no more than 3 official logos. Whether it be the pepper (which I would hope not), the interlocking UL w/ or w/o Lafayette below, Louisiana, Ragin Cajuns, Cajuns, etc. We will never be nationally known because someone who watches a lot of sports in say New York sees us on TV one month and we are UL. The next month he sees us and we the name on the bottom is UL LAF. This is a huge problem. We must restrict television, both local and national, to use one name and logo. We seek national recognition but have established our own idendity. _
    Your post is right on target. Those who want us to use the Ragin Cajuns logo exclusively forego any connection with the university. And, when a connection is made, it is with a wide range of names: "Louisiana Lafayette", "UL Lafayette", "ULL" (these 3 are the predominent ones outside of Lafayette), Lafayette, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns, UL, and Louisiana. That is some identity.

At the WCWS, we had Ragin Cajuns on our uniforms, shirts, etc. and what were we called - "Louisiana Lafayette". That is our national identity. Our logo, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns, does not even look or sound like it is associated with a university. It is more like Ragin Cajuns from the state of Louisiana, not the University of Louisiana. And, our SID still puts out mixed messages as to who we are, so the "Louisiana Lafayette" name is still out there as our top reference.

We have the #1 moniker in the country in Ragin Cajuns, but with an identity problem as to what university this is connected to. "Louisiana Monroe" has solved their identity problem as they are now ULM, an acronym that is quickly catching on like UAB, UTEP, and UCF.

This will hopefully be a major issue for our new President to address when he takes office in a few weeks. After 8 years of these kind of mixed messages, it is time for our university to take a stand and be recognized for who we are. And, please don't say who cares as long as we win. Let's win as Louisiana and UL, not as "Louisiana Lafayette" and "ULL". It is an identity long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    Having great looking uniforms that effectively display who you are is a great marketing tool that should be appealing to the public. And, effective marketing generates revenue. Winning is critical, obviously. Why not win while looking good and be attractive to the public? The two are not mutually exclusive. It's the total package. You don't have to eliminate one to be successful in the other.
    My point was there are bigger things to discuss than what helmet should we wear etc. but this is that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    At the WCWS, we had Ragin Cajuns on our uniforms, shirts, etc. and what were we called - "Louisiana Lafayette". That is our national identity. Our logo, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns, does not even look or sound like it is associated with a university. It is more like Ragin Cajuns from the state of Louisiana, not the University of Louisiana. And, our SID still puts out mixed messages as to who we are, so the "Louisiana Lafayette" name is still out there as our top reference.

You have to be referring to the ESPN announcers. So, do we control what they say? I'm betting our people provided them exactly what they should have. What I saw was "Louisiana" on the helmets and Ragin' Cajuns on the jersies.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    You have to be referring to the ESPN announcers. So, do we control what they say? I'm betting our people provided them exactly what they should have. What I saw was "Louisiana" on the helmets and Ragin' Cajuns on the jersies.
    Sugarland has a good point. All the Jihad about a name I don't think we deserve right now has got us nowhere. Who cares what we look like or what they call us as long as we become winners? Would you rather a beautiful Cadillac Escalade without an engine or a Honda Civic with an engine? Looks a names are nice but we need to get to the heart of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Sugarland has a good point. All the Jihad about a name I don't think we deserve right now has got us nowhere. Who cares what we look like or what they call us as long as we become winners? Would you rather a beautiful Cadillac Escalade without an engine or a Honda Civic with an engine? Looks a names are nice but we need to get to the heart of the matter. _
    I don't think that was his point at all.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Interesting helmet

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ You have to be referring to the ESPN announcers. So, do we control what they say? I'm betting our people provided them exactly what they should have. What I saw was "Louisiana" on the helmets and Ragin' Cajuns on the jersies. _
    The answer to that is yesI think we do control what they say. I don't think announcers have a choice in what name to call a team. The could come out and call us something we don't go buy. There are restrictions on names that can be used by announcers and the media. Our problem is that we have too many choices for the media to use. We need to buckle down and make them use ONE name. And honestly I don't care which one it is (UL, ULL, UL Lafayette, Louisiana) even though I'm not a fan of ULL or UL Lafayette. One way or the other and whether it's a name I like or not we need to restrict media to use one name.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5

Thread Information