Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Interesting helmet

Default Re: Interesting helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Yea, right. You quote my post and comment on it but its not directed at me.

As for your point suggesting that we stop donating, that's a real formula for success. (That was sarcasm in case you didn't pick up on it.) Money drives college sports today. If you want the level of success that you claim then you better be ready to step up. And that goes for all of us. Whenever the administration gets off its ass and starts up the Cajun Athletic Foundation we all better be ready to contribute or we can expect more of the same on the field. If you want a significanlty superior product on the field you had better be willing to contribute to greatly enhance our budget in order to eventually see it happen. And the investment needs to be made NOW. Like anything else the investment must be made first in order to see the results at a later date.
    It might pain you to realize that the world does not revolve around you. You have made it a point to make this about you but it is not. You and several others complain so much about the vast amounts of money you give to the program, one can only say perhaps you should stop. I was always taught that if you give something to someone you are not to speak about because then it is not a donation. The team has to win to garner the support we all seek. McNeese and ULM have less but beat us on the field so it isn't all about money. This is a helmet thread and I thought how sad it is that we are worried so much about how we look. We could have plain red helmets and as long as we win I would be happy. Bustle has had plenty of time and we are going into another season with him at the helm and I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope we are successful but I highly doubt it. Then we will have to look for a new coach and start all over. On the bright side, look for short lines in the bathrooms and concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    We raised $150M without winning.

We were the first school to make Doc II in Louisiana without winning.

We'll be the first school to make it to Doc I & rival State, without winning.

We've grown R&D here to $50M/year (and still going) without winning.

We've continually grown our campus without winning.

We've added innovative PhD & research programs without winning.

And those things prove-- correction, they are the very things that prove-- that we're certainly no community college.

On the other hand, McNeese & Tech & others have won more than we have, but they aren't doing any of these things.

Sports don't make a great University. Being a great University makes a great University.

There are different flavors of Kool-Aid. I guess the one that bothers me the most is not the one that's a different color from mine, it's the one that leads people to start with a conclusion and build their arguments from there, the one that convinces people that there is only one way to do anything, the one that keeps them from ever admitting to any data that suggests that there might be another way to approach a problem, the one that makes one question the value of a college education.

Anyway, I have one great advantage over you; at least mine's vermilion:

Isn't that what you guys wanted to hang Dr. A on? He cared more about academics than athletics. The school is growing even with a terrible football team. Just think how much better we would be with a competitive team! That would help complete the college experience for our students. Around these parts they are calling UL the new LSU. In my mind that is a positive especially if we can start producing on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ It might pain you to realize that the world does not revolve around you. You have made it a point to make this about you but it is not. You and several others complain so much about the vast amounts of money you give to the program, one can only say perhaps you should stop. I was always taught that if you give something to someone you are not to speak about because then it is not a donation. The team has to win to garner the support we all seek. McNeese and ULM have less but beat us on the field so it isn't all about money. This is a helmet thread and I thought how sad it is that we are worried so much about how we look. We could have plain red helmets and as long as we win I would be happy. Bustle has had plenty of time and we are going into another season with him at the helm and I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope we are successful but I highly doubt it. Then we will have to look for a new coach and start all over. On the bright side, look for short lines in the bathrooms and concessions. _
    Exactly, its not about me. It about UL and supporting this program if you expect success. Petey, you still have not answered the question of what YOU contribute to this program. As usual you dance around the question, change the subject and try to turn it into a personal argument. And if by the statement highlighted above you are trying to imply that you secretly donate, escuse me if I don't buy it. You have stated repeatedly that you will not give to this program. So I guess your answer by ommission is: you give NOTHING. So don't be disappointed when that is what you get in return.

When I brought up the subject of increased funding I fully expected you to bring up mcneese and monroe. The argument that they beat us with less is flawed because the mcneese budget is not significantly less than ours and the monroe budget is virtually the same. In addition listening to a mcneese alum whose son just recently finished playing baseball for mcneese, the complaint is that they put the majority of their resources into football and allow the other sports to suffer. So their actual football budget may be even closer to our football budget. But the main point is that if you want a successful program we (all of us including you) need to contribute and increase the budget exponentially. That will be especially true if the current staff does not turn it around and we do need to find a new coach. Afterall, you were the one who cried that we needed to hire Steve Spurrier. Think he is going to work for peanuts? Where do you expect to get the money to pay for ANY coach that is better than Bustle, much less to pay for a Spurrier-type coach?

_ Exactly, its not about me. It about UL and supporting this program if you expect success. Petey, you still have not answered the question of what YOU contribute to this program. As usual you dance around the question, change the subject and try to turn it into a personal argument. And if by the statement highlighted above you are trying to imply that you secretly donate, escuse me if I don't buy it. You have stated repeatedly that you will not give to this program. So I guess your answer by ommission is: you give NOTHING. So don't be disappointed when that is what you get in return.

When I brought up the subject of increased funding I fully expected you to bring up mcneese and monroe. The argument that they beat us with less is flawed because the mcneese budget is not significantly less than ours and the monroe budget is virtually the same. In addition listening to a mcneese alum whose son just recently finished playing baseball for mcneese, the complaint is that they put the majority of their resources into football and allow the other sports to suffer. So their actual football budget may be even closer to our football budget. But the main point is that if you want a successful program we (all of us including you) need to contribute and increase the budget exponentially. That will be especially true if the current staff does not turn it around and we do need to find a new coach. Afterall, you were the one who cried that we needed to hire Steve Spurrier. Think he is going to work for peanuts? Where do you expect to get the money to pay for ANY coach that is better than Bustle, much less to pay for a Spurrier-type coach? _
    I give exactly zero dollars to the program. There is no dancing around that. I haven't been to a game in a very long time. Don't plan on going to one anytime soon unless they start winning. You blow off McNeese and ULM but it does prove that money alone will not get the program where it should be. McNeese not only beat us but blew us out at home. As far as getting a Spurrier type coach well some of you guys seem to be daddy warbucks so pony up some more money. Actually someone on here pointed out that a named coach doesn't always work. ASU had some guy I forget his name but he was a named coach and he didn't workout so well. The one they got from NWST is doing very well. If Bustle doesn't win then almost anyone would be better. Just to give fans hope. Isn't Coach Tate coaching at a high school right now? He did well for McNeese for a while. He started to lose so they got rid of him also I believe there a few other problems. We need to find a young hungery coach with potential and here is a key thing. He should have experience at being a head coach. When was the last time we actually hired a head coach?

_ I give exactly zero dollars to the program. There is no dancing around that. I haven't been to a game in a very long time. Don't plan on going to one anytime soon unless they start winning. You blow off McNeese and ULM but it does prove that money alone will not get the program where it should be. McNeese not only beat us but blew us out at home. As far as getting a Spurrier type coach well some of you guys seem to be daddy warbucks so pony up some more money. Actually someone on here pointed out that a named coach doesn't always work. ASU had some guy I forget his name but he was a named coach and he didn't workout so well. The one they got from NWST is doing very well. If Bustle doesn't win then almost anyone would be better. Just to give fans hope. Isn't Coach Tate coaching at a high school right now? He did well for McNeese for a while. He started to lose so they got rid of him also I believe there a few other problems. We need to find a young hungery coach with potential and here is a key thing. He should have experience at being a head coach. When was the last time we actually hired a head coach? _
    No one argues that money alone will get it done. It also takes the right people. But money is a key component to getting the facilities that will bring in upper echelon players and help lure a good coach. As for the type of coach to hire, there have been many discussions here with many of the particpants agreeing that an up and coming successful head coach from a lower division (d1aa) is probably the way to go rather than a BCS coordinator. But are you seriously suggesting hiring Tate? You just stated that he was fired from a lower division team for losing and other problems. I don't thaink that hire would generate much fan interrest.

And you don't have to be Daddy Warbucks to contribute to UL athletics. You just have to be willing to put your money where your mouth is.

"I give exactly zero dollars to the program."

RCAJUN90

Now, who woulda figured

PS Zero is what your opinions on UL athletics are worth as well.

_ No one argues that money alone will get it done. It also takes the right people. But money is a key component to getting the facilities that will bring in upper echelon players and help lure a good coach. As for the type of coach to hire, there have been many discussions here with many of the particpants agreeing that an up and coming successful head coach from a lower division (d1aa) is probably the way to go rather than a BCS coordinator. But are you seriously suggesting hiring Tate? You just stated that he was fired from a lower division team for losing and other problems. I don't thaink that hire would generate much fan interrest.

And you don't have to be Daddy Warbucks to contribute to UL athletics. You just have to be willing to put your money where your mouth is. _
    Tate happened to come to mind. I do agree that since we can't pull a super star down to Lafayette a good up and coming 1-AA head coach could be the way to go.

I give exactly zero dollars to the program. There is no dancing around that. I haven't been to a game in a very long time. Don't plan on going to one anytime soon unless they start winning. You blow off McNeese and ULM but it does prove that money alone will not get the program where it should be. McNeese not only beat us but blew us out at home. As far as getting a Spurrier type coach well some of you guys seem to be daddy warbucks so pony up some more money. Actually someone on here pointed out that a named coach doesn't always work. ASU had some guy I forget his name but he was a named coach and he didn't workout so well. The one they got from NWST is doing very well. If Bustle doesn't win then almost anyone would be better. Just to give fans hope. Isn't Coach Tate coaching at a high school right now? He did well for McNeese for a while. He started to lose so they got rid of him also I believe there a few other problems. We need to find a young hungery coach with potential and here is a key thing. He should have experience at being a head coach. When was the last time we actually hired a head coach?
    I don't think we have hired someone with previous college head coaching experience in my lifetime. Therefore it is something that should be looked at the next time that decision has to be made. We all know your opinion that Bustle should not have been retained. That is moot as he is the coach for this season. If the Cajuns have a good season he will return. If not, he won't. He won't get an extension with a 4 and 8 record as you state he will. Continually telling people we need a change does absolutely no good at this stage. Regardless where our next hire comes from, we will have to make a significant financial commitment to attract a quality candidate. That commitment does involve facilities as well as salary. As far as folks who participate here and contribute to the program, none of them are Daddy Warbucks. This is a group of people putting up 50 bucks here and there for various projects.

Bottom line if you want a winning program (not a 6 and 6 like ULM was this past year), additional dollars will have to be found.

One advantage to "Louisiana" on the jersey versus the helmet is that fans can purchase replicajersies which are worn at games or just as casual wear around town and give good exposure outside of the game environment. And as Petey and Mike stated winning is the improtant thing. Win more and people wanting to get on the bandwagon buy the merchandise which further promotes the name. And of course, more purchases also leads to more revenue which contributes to more success if used wisely.
    I'll never buy a replica of our current jerseys. Too hideous.

This is nice:

I don't like the style they went to this past year. I did like the first "Louisiana" style with the shoulder "flashes" that were worn the previous year. They seemed to be popular and had a somewhat classic look. I don't know why we changed.

I don't like the style they went to this past year. I did like the first "Louisiana" style with the shoulder "flashes" that were worn the previous year. They seemed to be popular and had a somewhat classic look. I don't know why we changed.
    Those uniforms, while not my choice either, were better than the current ones.

I remember the MT game from that year. Their uniforms were EXACTLY the same only blue and white.

One day someone in the administration will have an apple fall on their head and realize that traditional uniforms are the only way to go and suggest we "go back to our roots" with these unis:

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _

_
    Those pictures are amazing [ ]

UL Football Re: Interesting helmet

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Those uniforms, while not my choice either, were better than the current ones.

I remember the MT game from that year. Their uniforms were EXACTLY the same only blue and white.

One day someone in the administration will have an apple fall on their head and realize that traditional uniforms are the only way to go and suggest we "go back to our roots" with these unis:

_
    I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!

I think I have mention this before and maybe even in this thread but here's our main problem with uniforms, logos etc. Who exactly are we? Are we UL, ULL, Louisiana Lafayette, UL Lafayette, Louisiana, Lafayette, UL Ragin Cajuns, Ragin Cajuns, ULL Ragin Cajuns or whatever other names you've heard. You get the point. If you take a look at any university whether it be Texas, Florida, Notre Dame, Duke, UNC, and hell even ULM and McNeese you will notice that they have pretty much one or two identifying logos. If I were to guess we would have about 10. We need Logos and Licensing to buckle down and use no more than 3 official logos. Whether it be the pepper (which I would hope not), the interlocking UL w/ or w/o Lafayette below, Louisiana, Ragin Cajuns, Cajuns, etc. We will never be nationally known because someone who watches a lot of sports in say New York sees us on TV one month and we are ULL. The next month he sees us and we the name on the bottom is UL LAF. This is a huge problem. We must restrict television, both local and national, to use one name and logo. We seek national recognition but have established our own idendity.

Attached Images Attached Images              

_ It might pain you to realize that the world does not revolve around you. You have made it a point to make this about you but it is not. You and several others complain so much about the vast amounts of money you give to the program, one can only say perhaps you should stop. I was always taught that if you give something to someone you are not to speak about because then it is not a donation. The team has to win to garner the support we all seek. McNeese and ULM have less but beat us on the field so it isn't all about money. This is a helmet thread and I thought how sad it is that we are worried so much about how we look. We could have plain red helmets and as long as we win I would be happy. Bustle has had plenty of time and we are going into another season with him at the helm and I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope we are successful but I highly doubt it. Then we will have to look for a new coach and start all over. On the bright side, look for short lines in the bathrooms and concessions. _

Having great looking uniforms that effectively display who you are is a great marketing tool that should be appealing to the public. And, effective marketing generates revenue. Winning is critical, obviously. Why not win while looking good and be attractive to the public? The two are not mutually exclusive. It's the total package. You don't have to eliminate one to be successful in the other.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information