Michael Lotief coaches the Ragin' Cajuns along with his wife, Stefni Lotief, a former Louisiana-Lafayette pitcher. Under the duo's leadership, the mid-major Ragin' Cajuns have continued to leave their mark on the softball world, reaching the Women's College World Series in 2003 and again this year.

Thursday, Louisiana-Lafayette upset No. 1-seed Florida. The Ragin' Cajuns fell 2-1 to Texas A&M on Friday. Lotief stopped to talk with The Oklahoman's Zach West afterward.

Q: What are some of the positives of coaching alongside your wife?

A: I've never been asked that question – it's a good question. Let me think about that for a while (pauses) … Our kids get to be with us. Obviously, we get to do something that we both love and have passion for. We get to make a difference in our community. We get to fight for a cause we both believe in, passionately: opportunities for female athletes. We get to grow a sport that we both love. There's a lot positives. We both get paid — two paychecks. It's always good when you and your spouse both have common interests and you're both passionate about them and they both give you intrinsic satisfaction. We both get a lot of satisfaction out of what we do, and we get to do it together. It's a win-win.

Q:Today was the first time I've seen you guys play …

A: That's your fault then.

Q: I know. Do you always argue with umpires that much? (Lotief went out on the field numerous times during Friday's game)

I never argued with them one time — I asked them a question.

The rest of the story

By Zach West