Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cinderella?NOT

Default Cinderella?NOT

www.espn1420.com

Click on sports blogs.

Default Re: Cinderella?NOT

Good stuff Jay. You would think that respect would come making the tournament for the 5th time, or consistently being in the top 25, however, as you mentioned, we are still waiting on it. Maybe it is the fact that our name is not heard in other sports as much, but talking about softball, the University of Louisiana will always have something to say when it comes time at the end of the year.

Thanks Jay. I am so glad that someone said it!

That has been annoying the hell out of me too. It has been bugging me that this team/school has been there 5 times! And within the last 20 years, and yet they are still percieved as some team that is just playing over its head and lucky to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Good stuff Jay. You would think that respect would come making the tournament for the 5th time, or consistently being in the top 25, however, as you mentioned, we are still waiting on it. Maybe it is the fact that our name is not heard in other sports as much, but talking about softball, the University of Louisiana will always have something to say when it comes time at the end of the year.
    Hate to say it, but until the bracket says Louisiana and not La-Lafayette, our accomplishments will always be considered cinderella-ish. That attachment affects people's perception tremendously. Just watch, when UC-Irvine makes it to the men's CWS again. It will be well publicized how amazing it is that they are there. And so nobody comes in and tries to argue it, UCLA does not fall under this same category.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Cinderella?NOT

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ Hate to say it, but until the bracket says Louisiana and not La-Lafayette, our accomplishments will always be considered cinderella-ish. That attachment affects people's perception tremendously. Just watch, when UC-Irvine makes it to the men's CWS again. It will be well publicized how amazing it is that they are there. And so nobody comes in and tries to argue it, UCLA does not fall under this same category. _

Nope, cannot agree. There is a new championship series every year. Well in case nobody noticed we came here unseeded. It is not the name, but the seeding, that makes you Cinderella to those who do not know the sport. Unless your name is UCLA or Arizona and I think they have earned their special spot in the sport with 19 championships between the two.

In retrospect I have to adjust my comment. Cinderella Not is exactly correct. Underdogs sure that makes sense, but this girl has been to the ball before.

Perhaps some thought Florida deserved the number one seed, but I think they are nowhere near a number one seed, that should be UCLA who IMO has the look of a champion. Now Apallo Creed had the look of a champion, and this is going to be the second fight. Probably not a good analogy as that happens to be the one where the Eye of The Tiger came into vogue.

6. UL Baseball Re: Cinderella?NOT

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    www.espn1420.com

Click on sports blogs.
    Very nice piece Jay.

Brian

7. UL Softball Re: Cinderella?NOT

Great angle Jay, enjoyed the read.

I heard your stance on BEV yesterday and I agree with you from a program point of view, which is what I think you are referring to.

However from a season and seeding point of view Cinderella status might be a different matter.

Even you stated you thought they were a couple years away from the World Series. So looking at this team strickly from the vantage point of this seasons expectations and predictions and current results. . . . I can see where "feeling like a Cinderella" fits.

jmo

Great article, Jay.

This is so COOL Re: Cinderella?NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Great angle Jay, enjoyed the read.

I heard your stance on BEV yesterday and I agree with you from a program point of view, which is what I think you are referring to.

However from a season and seeding point of view Cinderella status might be a different matter.

Even you stated you thought they were a couple years away from the World Series. So looking at this team strickly from the vantage point of this seasons expectations and predictions and current results. . . . I can see where "feeling like a Cinderella" fits.

jmo _
    What a difference a year makes. Last year we were losing to ULM in extra innings 1-0, and in the regional. Batters were in a funk, not pitching.

Brignac comes in with all the glitter, and does a good job early, Bourgeois does a whole lot better than projected in her freshman year. All of a sudden Brignac truly becomes the ACE everybody expected as she just gets better and better as the competition gets better.

Our team is loose, and there in is the difference in last year and this.

_ www.espn1420.com

Click on sports blogs. _

Jay I think your blog in dead on right, except for one thing. Florida with it's gaudy 67-3 record would be the media favorite against any team not named Arizona or UCLA. Also when we are talking sports media we need to remember ESPN does not want Cinderella in the finals. They want 20 million plus Florida and 30 million plus UCLA in that final game.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ www.espn1420.com

Click on sports blogs. _
    Good article Jay. I have to give Michael Lotief a free pass on the "Cinderella" portrayal for a few reasons. First, it garners favor in some circles of national media (as you mentioned) and what's the point of correcting these numbskulls. Second, it may make a team or two underestimate you (remember, these Florida, Arizona, California young ladies aren't hearing about the Ragin Cajuns in many other sports circles). Third, it may actually help the team, aside from Vanessa's comments, have an underdog, overlooked, unappreciated approach. Actually, I think they just go do their thing and have a blast doing it.

Most UL people know how good our softball team is. I think the underdogging in softball we may or may not do is a result of our status in most other sports and/or the lack of respect achieved and sustained in those sports. It's a carryover effect. I think our legacy has us saddled with "Cinderella" as a athletic program. If it's the historical "allowance" Cinderella has gotten as opposed to her ugly sister, then we certainly deserve the name. Oh, I forgot, the ugly sister inherited the gold mine and is now financially independent.

Regardless, you do make a point. I'm basking in the light of our current success, and think that our young ladies are also doing so. and don't really care whether they are called Cinderella, U L L, Louisiana (hyphenated with Lafayette) or anything else. In the end, no matter how this turns out. they are champions. I'm not sure I'm more proud that they are successful at what they do, or just the way they handle themselves (what a fun bunch of young ladies).

Outstanding. It should be sent to the DA as a guest column. Hell, send it to every media outlet in Louisiana.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cinderella?NOT

Whether it is the reason or not.

GIVE US OUR DAMN NAME. It was the University of Louisiana when I grabbed my diploma. It will be again, someday. Why not TODAY?

Excellent piece. FWIW, the national media loves a Cinderella story, but fact or fiction is irrelevent to them. It wouldn't shock me if they were the last team standing in OKC. They probably don't need that chip on their shoulder to do it, though.

www.espn1420.com

Click on sports blogs. _
    I agree with everyone else that read it. You got it right on point.

Not that I would mind folks calling the Cajun football team Cinderella next season when they play in a bowl. Not at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information