Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Albertson's Support

Default Re: Albertson's Support

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    But to suggest that being a true fan means you must get angry at every media outlet when they call us "U L L" is misguided IMO. _

Speaking for myself, it depends upon the underlying reason (if it can be determined). In the case of, for example, the Advocate, it is obvious what their reasoning is. Many do it without malice.

Mine is the very same attitude I have seen expressed about "UAB" and "UCF". Those are the popular names their fans have chosen and prefer. I feel exactly the same way about "UL".

True fans are the ones who buy tickets, attend games, make donations, wear the colors and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ If you are comparing UL to ULM then we already are the dominant university in everything (academically and athletically) except football. The only ULS school even close to UL in an across the board comparison is Louisiana Tech University. _
    I thought a good opportunity was missed with the name game at the WCWS. All of the schools had the name of the school written across their tops. Would have been a good time to have just Louisiana printed across the front to show case the name on a national level. I have absolutely no objection to having RC on the front and being relatively new here I don't quite understand the name issue but that was just a thought for those of you who have an issue with it. JMO

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Albertson's Support

University of Texas at Austin = TEXAS
    University of California at Berkeley = CALIFORNIA

University of Louisiana at Lafayette = LOUISIANA

posted via mobile device
    you cant sell the name ifyou are hung up on a mascot

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    _ Posted via http://igeaux.mobi
    you cant sell the name ifyou are hung up on a mascot _
    I don't see it as "selling" the name. I was a student in 84 when "UL" was legally approved by the board that had the authority to do so. and witnessed the state rape that followed. The name is ours. period.

The name I personally go by is an abbreviation of my middle name. I do not see thousands lining up to make sure I'm not called by that "nickname". of which I am one of many who use it. I say this is my name and 99%, family, friends and others, use it. If someone calls me a name I don't like, I either ignore it, or I have been known to crack their jaw (bad habits die hard).

But, "selling" the name isn't the issue. It is not about what outsiders think, say, or do. It is about what "we" do. Our administration should be the first to enforce every opportunity to use "UL" or "Louisiana" up to the absolute legal edge of official requirements. Anyone wishing to align with us, the UL people, needs to know the sentiment and where it comes from. Everyone else. well, Turbine doesn't like that kind of language on here.

Posted via http://igeaux.mobi
    you cant sell the name ifyou are hung up on a mascot

You're right on the money with that one.

I spoke to this subject on Scout here:http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=345&f.&t=2186216&p=3

Scroll dowl a little.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

You're right on the money with that one.

I spoke to this subject on Scout here:http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=345&f.&t=2186216&p=3

Scroll dowl a little.
    i cant read scout can you post here

Posted via Mobile Device

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Just register.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Just register.

Z _
    if i cant read it how am i going to register never mind i will at a pc in the morning i will go then

posted via mobile device

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

if i cant read it how am i going to register never mind i will at a pc in the morning i will go then

you're doing that igeaux thingy. sorry.

Balls in your court, Nation!!

Z

Here ya go. I posted this towards the end of baseball season.

<< There is nothing we could do that would forward our identity as UL more than puting UL on the helmets just like we have them on the baseball caps.

The Ragin Cajuns nickname is great, but we are obsessed with it, to the point that we have almost abandoned the marketing of our university name in athletics.

For example, look at Marshall. They have a big fat M on their helmets, and you have to be standing within 2 feet of a player to be able see the word HERD on their jerseys.

Their very popular slogan is "We Are Marshall".

They have a great nickname in Thundering Herd, but they understand that the actual name of your university is way more important than a nickname.

The main reason why there is so much confusion about who we are or what exactly is our name among the general public is because WE are more confused than them.

We have the marketing of our school athletically completely backwards.

Also, when we do get it right, like with LOUISIANA on the baseball jerseys yesterday, we manage to screw that up as well. Watching on TV, you couldn't read what was on the jersey due to the silly lettering and the usage of black on red. It looked like somebody splashed a can of paint on there. It's the same problem when we wear the Ragin Cajun jerseys.

We have an out of control marketing department that is clueless as to what sells and what advances your agenda.

There is no way they test marketed this stuff. The majority of Cajun fans would never choose the flaming vegetables, flames, yellow, using 5 different colors, hotwheels, batwings, beanie caps, etc. etc.

It's all one big train wreck, and few people want to admit it. >>

To further bolster my argument, let me now if you ever see a schedule released for any sport, by any university, that lists their opponnents by just their nicknames.

You won't.

In fact, more often than not, you won't see any nicknames on most schedules.

I just remembered something else from the World Series games on TV.

I had mentioned earlier about what a waste it was to only see Ragin Cajuns every time they did a closeup of Brignac, which was quite often. No UL. No Louisiana.

It was worse than that. We had to stick that idiotic, flaming vegetable on the collar right below her neck.

Now, you people tell me, what would have been better for this university to promote right here, a flaming vegetable, or an interlocking UL?

Then, they almost showed Coach Lotief as much as Ashley. What was he wearing? A Cajuns hat with a Ragin Cajuns shirt.

Why didn't we just put Ragin Cajuns on a softball bat and beat everybody that walked into the stadium on the head with it.

Sometimes, it's almost like we just don't care what they call us.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I just remembered something else from the World Series games on TV.

I had mentioned earlier about what a waste it was to only see Ragin Cajuns every time they did a closeup of Brignac, which was quite often. No UL. No Louisiana.

It was worse than that. We had to stick that idiotic, flaming vegetable on the collar right below her neck.

Now, you people tell me, what would have been better for this university to promote right here, a flaming vegetable, or an interlocking UL?

Then, they almost showed Coach Lotief as much as Ashley. What was he wearing? A Cajuns hat with a Ragin Cajuns shirt.

Why didn't we just put Ragin Cajuns on a softball bat and beat everybody that walked into the stadium on the head with it.

Sometimes, it's almost like we just don't care what they call us.
    FYI, the batting helmets did say LOUISIANA on them. They were seen frequently. I do agree, Louisiana should be seen more prominently on our uniforms

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    But, "selling" the name isn't the issue. It is not about what outsiders think, say, or do. It is about what "we" do. Our administration should be the first to enforce every opportunity to use "UL" or "Louisiana" up to the absolute legal edge of official requirements. Anyone wishing to align with us, the UL people, needs to know the sentiment and where it comes from. Everyone else. well, Turbine doesn't like that kind of language on here. _
    By golly, you've got it.

Just look at the Cajuns athletic site and compare with what was there just a couple of years ago. Maybe we don't do everything some feel we need to or do everything as fast as some feel we need to but the direction in which we are headed is unmistakable.

Quote Originally Posted by FTBLFN View Post
    _ Before I start, I graduated from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and I was an LSU fan growing up. For that reason, I support both UL and LSU. I know, hard to believe. I think the problem with the UL community is threads like this. You get ____ed because UL stuff is not displayed and LSU was when they won the national championship. UL needs to be concerned with UL and not LSU, and I think when that happens, it will show. I an new to the page, and I have noticed threads coming up comparing the 2 regularly. I moved down here in 95 and while at UL went to every home football game while I was in school. In the first few years, they were fun to watch and it was never a foregone conclusion they would lose. They have come a long way since the Baldwin days and I think the program is on a good track. The basketball team is beginning to get their swagger back, the softball team keeps the winning tradition alive, and the baseball team was supposed to be top notch, even though they had a little trouble this year. Be happy for what you have, not what you don't. LSU is a powerhouse, they will be for a long time. I think their conference, quality of opponent, facilities, and atmosphere helps give them that edge. (If any of you have been to tiger stadium on saturday night, it is hard to argue). They also have the money to bring this in. The football team and fans need to concentrate on dominating their competition, then the rest will fall into place.
    As far as the UL-L, That is our name, as much as I would love to have the UL instead of UL Lafayette, this won't happen until we become the dominant UL and quit letting ULM beat us. How can we be the true UL when we can't seperated ourselves from ULM. These are my 2 cents. _
    And the name of the university you are a fan of is LSUA&MC. If they can just shorten that to LSU then what is the problem with us shortening our popular reference to UL?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information