Thread: Looking forward to November 1

1. UL Football Looking forward to November 1

I'm looking forward to Louisiana coming to The Rock this fall! Y'all are a class act and I always enjoy our athletic meetings. Wish we could work things out and make basketball and baseball a regular thing as well.

Best of luck in the Sun Belt Tournament and hope baseball turns around by the time conference play starts.

2. Default

Thanks, Southern Miss Alum, for the kind words. We are looking forward to a return engagement as well.

I wouldn't mind going back to meeting you every year, like we did from 81-90 and 93-99.

Although if I had my choice I would take an outcome similar to the 87-93 matchups where Louisiana actually won 3 of 5.

Unfortunately (for us) you have won the last 6 meetings, most rather handily. In fact Louisiana hasn't defeated Southern Miss since Jake Delhomme was a freshman.

Still I agree with you, I always enjoy our athletic meetings, and think it would be real nice if we could work things out and make basketball and baseball a regular thing.

My understanding is that our basketball teams no longer play because the two coaching staffs had a falling out when schedules could not be worked out for a series a few of years ago.

4. Default

I'd like to go back to meeting every year in football - home and home - as well. As far as basketball is concerned - both coaching staffs are grown men; they need to get over it and get to the rescheduling!

Originally posted by Southern Miss Alum
    As far as basketball is concerned - both coaching staffs are grown men; they need to get over it and get to the rescheduling!
    I can't disagree with that, especially since we have a tough time filling out our home schedules every year.

Ragin' Cajuns

It would really be nice to be in the same conference.

7. Default

Originally posted by icbaril
    It would really be nice to be in the same conference.
    Can't say I'd put up an argument if the opportunity came up. I think it would be a boost to your overall athletic program, and would eventually be a win-win for all. Your basketball is already solid; same for baseball. Football would, I think, gain the biggest benefit.

And admit it; you'd love having Tulane having to face you - home and home - as a conference opponent!

And admit it; you'd love having Tulane having to face you - home and home - as a conference opponent!
    Sure we'd love it. Only one problem:

They would HATE it. They've done everything in the world to avoid spoiling their delusions of superiority.

9. Default

So? That's what would be so fun about it!

Oh, and something else that would be fun to watch if y'all joined C-USA; the impending UL rivalry - Louisiana vs. Louisville. I really think that would become a massively heated hoops rivalry.

I'd love to dream about a UL - UL rivalry, but this UL still has a long way to go.

Default Re: Looking forward to November 1

I'm looking forward to Louisiana coming to The Rock this fall! Y'all are a class act and I always enjoy our athletic meetings. Wish we could work things out and make basketball and baseball a regular thing as well.
    Southern Miss Alum, do you think most USM fans feel the same way as you? If not what are their thoughts on our program (overall)?

Do you use EaglePost.net?

12. Default

I occasionally use EaglePost, but I spend more of my time on EagleTalk (our Rivals site). That's where the majority of our traffic goes - unfortunately, that means that's where the majority of our AHs go too. Still, I try to weed through their garbage because the most updated info is also posted there.

Now, about your real question...

Of course, opinion varies widely, from the "you're not worthy" to the "you are equal", as you would expect with any large group. To be honest, the thought of UL as a member of C-USA - I don't think it's really entered the minds of too many people. I don't think it's a slam, but a lot of people are looking in a different direction - for instance, I've heard a lot of mention about maybe snatching up West Virginia and Virginia Tech if/when the oft-rumored Big East blowup takes place.

In terms of non-conference opponents; you have your share that fuss about it, because you're not Nebraska or Texas A&M (of course, we're not either, but that's beside the point). Overall though, I think people enjoy the series in all sports and would like to see it continued. From a football standpoint, I do think that there are a lot of people that aren't too crazy about you coming to The Rock - the trip to Lafayette is much too fun to pass up, and they'd rather play you at your place!

they'd rather play you at your place!
    Hey, that is fine with us. You guys are welcome anytime

Thread Information