Thread: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

1. UL Softball ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

By the numbers: Louisiana

Co-coaches: Michael Lotief, Stefni Lotief
    Record: 51-13
    Road/Neutral record: 29-12
    Sun Belt record: 19-3

Road to Oklahoma City (unseeded)

vs. East Carolina, 2-1 W (Baton Rouge Regional)
    vs. LSU, 9-4 W (Baton Rouge Regional)
    vs. LSU, 6-3 W (Baton Rouge Regional)
    vs. Houston, 6-4 W (Houston Super Regional)
    vs. Houston, 3-6 L (Houston Super Regional)
    vs. Houston, 4-0 W (Houston Super Regional)

Notable nonconference wins: BYU, Louisiana Tech (2), North Carolina, Texas A&M
    Notable nonconference losses: Arizona, Arizona State, Iowa, Michigan, Texas A&M

Lineup YR AVG HR RBI R SB
    Vallie Gaspard, RF So. .411 0 11 47 13
    Vanessa Soto, 2B Sr. .340 9 65 32 1
    Holly Tankersley, DP Sr. .452 21 72 57 2
    Melissa Verde, 3B So. .291 7 42 31 0
    Lana Bowers, C So. .267 9 49 31 0
    Gabriele Bridges, 1B Fr. .242 11 40 21 4
    Brooke Brodhead Sr. .229 2 25 29 4
    Karli Hubbard, CF Jr. .392 0 10 47 15
    Katie Smith, LF Fr. .377 0 9 39 20

Pitchers YR IP W-L ERA K BB
    Ashley Brignac Fr. 213.1 30-6 1.38 308 94
    Donna Bourgeois Fr. 145 16-4 0.97 172 33
    Brittany Cuevas So. 57.1 5-3 2.32 79 26

Getting to know the Ragin' Cajuns

Oklahoma City may represent the longest road trip of the NCAA tournament for Louisiana, but no team took a more arduous route to the World Series. Unseeded in the initial NCAA draw despite winning the Sun Belt regular season and conference tournament titles in convincing fashion, the Ragin' Cajuns first knocked off No. 9 seed LSU on their in-state rival's home turf in Baton Rouge during regionals and then took two of three on the road against No. 8 seed Houston in a super regional.

Whether or not Louisiana merited a seed, with regular season wins against Texas A&M and North Carolina as well as close losses against Arizona and Arizona State (not to mention a 1-0, extra-inning loss against the United States Olympic team that didn't factor in the mix) merited a seed, the Ragin' Cajuns have proved they belong in Oklahoma City as an equal. So hold the Cinderella references.

The Ragin' Cajuns are a balanced team, both in respect to their balance between hitting and pitching and within those respective areas. A few teams heading to Oklahoma City used two pitchers in the NCAA tournament, but this is the only team that started three different pitchers. Freshmen Ashley Brignac and Donna Bourgeois split most of the innings during the regular season, but sophomore Brittany Cuevas, who battled injuries early this season but also four-hit the Olympic team through 8 and 1/3 innings, also got a start in the Houston Super Regional.

Player to Watch: Ashley Brignac, P

One of four freshmen pitchers who may wind up with the ball in their hands to start the World Series (although two of them play for Louisiana), Brignac didn't disappoint after arriving with a lofty reputation. One of the stars of a junior national team that won a world championship last summer -- alongside the likes of Arizona's Brittany Lastrapes and UCLA's Donna Kerr -- Brignac got the ball with Louisiana's season on the line in Houston and two-hit the hosts in the decisive third game. Brignac also struck out 11 in eight innings in the team's win against Texas A&M in March and averages 10.1 strikeouts per seven innings.

Star Power: Holly Tankersley

Louisiana's biggest star during the program's last run to the World Series was slugger Danyele Gomez, and Tankersley is a worthy heir to lead the return trip. Even in the company of standouts like Kaitlin Cochran, Samantha Findlay and Charlotte Morgan, Tankersley enters the season's final week tied with Findlay as the active home run leader (21) after hitting a pair in the Houston Super Regional. With just 10 strikeouts alongside 43 walks (12 of the intentional variety), Tankersley also outpaces Cochran, Findlay and Morgan as the toughest slugger to strike out.

*Rest of teams can be read about here.

2. UL Softball Re: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

Very informative.

I wondered if any other team had 3 starters in tourney play.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

NO. In fact, the rest of these teams, as far as I know, have 1 starting pitcher and a back-up. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) The CAJUNS WILL have a HUGE advantage on the mound. It will be up to the Lotiefs to use our THREE STARTERS to their fullest advantage!!!

UL Softball Re: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ NO. In fact, the rest of these teams, as far as I know, have 1 starting pitcher and a back-up. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) The CAJUNS WILL have a HUGE advantage on the mound. It will be up to the Lotiefs to use our THREE STARTERS to their fullest advantage!!! _

Problem is that none of our starters have sub 1.0 ERA. The dominant teams have at least one girl like a Brooke Mitchell between .50 to .75 ERA. Our freshman will get there they are just not there yet. And I know what Donna brings, but a lot of that was against less than stellar competition.

This is not to say we cannot win it all, all three of these young women can bring an a $$ wuppin on anybody on a given day.

the pitcher the cajuns faced in houston had an era of .66 and had given up only 24 earned runs all season.

the cajuns pounded her for 29 hits and 13 earned runs in 3 games.

our pitching staff will surprise the non believers on how good they are and the hitters will all do their jobs.

GEAUX CAJUNS!!

Default Re: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

Quote Originally Posted by KingRob View Post
    _ the pitcher the cajuns faced in houston had an era of .66 and had given up only 24 earned runs all season.

our pitching staff will surprise the non believers on how good they are and the hitters will all do their jobs.

GEAUX CAJUNS!! _
    I agree with you, but Shamblin is not in the same class as NELSON and TINCHER.

Bottom Line We have to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee View Post
    _ By the numbers: Louisiana

Co-coaches: Michael Lotief, Stefni Lotief
    Record: 51-13
    Road/Neutral record: 29-12
    Sun Belt record: 19-3

Road to Oklahoma City (unseeded)

vs. East Carolina, 2-1 W (Baton Rouge Regional)
    vs. LSU, 9-4 W (Baton Rouge Regional)
    vs. LSU, 6-3 W (Baton Rouge Regional)
    vs. Houston, 6-4 W (Houston Super Regional)
    vs. Houston, 3-6 L (Houston Super Regional)
    vs. Houston, 4-0 W (Houston Super Regional)

Notable nonconference wins: BYU, Louisiana Tech (2), North Carolina, Texas A&M
    Notable nonconference losses: Arizona, Arizona State, Iowa, Michigan, Texas A&M

Lineup YR AVG HR RBI R SB
    Vallie Gaspard, RF So. .411 0 11 47 13
    Vanessa Soto, 2B Sr. .340 9 65 32 1
    Holly Tankersley, DP Sr. .452 21 72 57 2
    Melissa Verde, 3B So. .291 7 42 31 0
    Lana Bowers, C So. .267 9 49 31 0
    Gabriele Bridges, 1B Fr. .242 11 40 21 4
    Brooke Brodhead Sr. .229 2 25 29 4
    Karli Hubbard, CF Jr. .392 0 10 47 15
    Katie Smith, LF Fr. .377 0 9 39 20

Pitchers YR IP W-L ERA K BB
    Ashley Brignac Fr. 213.1 30-6 1.38 308 94
    Donna Bourgeois Fr. 145 16-4 0.97 172 33
    Brittany Cuevas So. 57.1 5-3 2.32 79 26

Getting to know the Ragin' Cajuns

Oklahoma City may represent the longest road trip of the NCAA tournament for Louisiana, but no team took a more arduous route to the World Series. Unseeded in the initial NCAA draw despite winning the Sun Belt regular season and conference tournament titles in convincing fashion, the Ragin' Cajuns first knocked off No. 9 seed LSU on their in-state rival's home turf in Baton Rouge during regionals and then took two of three on the road against No. 8 seed Houston in a super regional.

Whether or not Louisiana merited a seed, with regular season wins against Texas A&M and North Carolina as well as close losses against Arizona and Arizona State (not to mention a 1-0, extra-inning loss against the United States Olympic team that didn't factor in the mix) merited a seed, the Ragin' Cajuns have proved they belong in Oklahoma City as an equal. So hold the Cinderella references.

The Ragin' Cajuns are a balanced team, both in respect to their balance between hitting and pitching and within those respective areas. A few teams heading to Oklahoma City used two pitchers in the NCAA tournament, but this is the only team that started three different pitchers. Freshmen Ashley Brignac and Donna Bourgeois split most of the innings during the regular season, but sophomore Brittany Cuevas, who battled injuries early this season but also four-hit the Olympic team through 8 and 1/3 innings, also got a start in the Houston Super Regional.

Player to Watch: Ashley Brignac, P

One of four freshmen pitchers who may wind up with the ball in their hands to start the World Series (although two of them play for Louisiana), Brignac didn't disappoint after arriving with a lofty reputation. One of the stars of a junior national team that won a world championship last summer -- alongside the likes of Arizona's Brittany Lastrapes and UCLA's Donna Kerr -- Brignac got the ball with Louisiana's season on the line in Houston and two-hit the hosts in the decisive third game. Brignac also struck out 11 in eight innings in the team's win against Texas A&M in March and averages 10.1 strikeouts per seven innings.

Star Power: Holly Tankersley

Louisiana's biggest star during the program's last run to the World Series was slugger Danyele Gomez, and Tankersley is a worthy heir to lead the return trip. Even in the company of standouts like Kaitlin Cochran, Samantha Findlay and Charlotte Morgan, Tankersley enters the season's final week tied with Findlay as the active home run leader (21) after hitting a pair in the Houston Super Regional. With just 10 strikeouts alongside 43 walks (12 of the intentional variety), Tankersley also outpaces Cochran, Findlay and Morgan as the toughest slugger to strike out.

*Rest of teams can be read about here. _

Tankersley will be named to the ALL-American Team tonight. Congrates Holly!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I agree with you, but Shamblin is not in the same class as NELSON and TINCHER.
    While that may be true, I think that if we can pound out 3+ runs against any team in the CWS we may win the whole thing. But we have to score. Our real big advantage comes in once we get a lead. If a team adjust to Brignac we can pull her and pitch Donna who has a completely different style of pitching and will keep them off balance same goes in reverse. Cuevas is an enigma, we know what she is capable of but her stamina is not there yet. No other team in the CWS has the ability to change pitchers like we can so if our hitting can find a way to produce 3 or more runs we will make a run in the CWS.

I really believe we will upset Florida.

11. Default Re: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

Turbine, why did you remove the illegal pitch thread? It wasn't taking a bad turn.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRob View Post
    _ the pitcher the cajuns faced in houston had an era of .66 and had given up only 24 earned runs all season.

GEAUX CAJUNS!! _
    Megga ditto my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyR View Post
    _ I really believe we will upset Florida. _
    I sure hope you are correct! We used to beet out Florida all the time for the number one seed in the region. Geaux Cajuns!

14. UL Softball Re: ESPN Lady Cajuns Team Capsule

Hopefully we can catch them sleeping and enjoying their stats. I don't think our girls will be intimidated by anyone with the schedule they have played. Also, isn't this Florida's first trip? I know none of our current kids have been here, but our coaches have, and that goes a long way in being able to explain to the kids what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    I sure hope you are correct! We used to beet out Florida all the time for the number one seed in the region. Geaux Cajuns!
    Actually, Daddy, I think that might have been Florida State. Additionally, South Carolina was also in the top two or three at that time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information