Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

UL Softball WCWS has just about all you could ask for

Tue May 27, 2008

WCWS has just about all you could ask for

By Scott Wright
    Softball Insider

This Women's College World Series has all a softball fan could ask for.

The mid-major Cinderella.

The sentimental favorite.

The dominant upstart.

The hometown hero.

The two-time defending champ looking for a three-peat.

The long-time power pushing for a return to prominence.

And enough sno-cones to turn 10,000 tongues blue.

The WCWS festivities get going tonight with an opening ceremony of sorts at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium. The Party at the Park begins at 7:30 p.m. and includes a concert by country singer Luke Bryan. The softball show kicks off Thursday at noon, with every game being televised by the ESPN networks.

But dull moments look to be rare between now and the best-of-three championship series that begins Monday night. Here's a look at some of the excitement that could be generated by this WCWS:

•The mid-major Cinderella: Louisiana is no stranger to the WCWS, but the Ragin' Cajuns had some work to do to get to OKC. They first had to beat No. 9 national seed LSU twice on the Tigers' home field to escape regional play. Then they knocked off eighth-seeded Houston on its home field in the best-of-three super-regional.

The husband-wife coaching tandem of Michael and Stefni Lotief have the Cajuns in their fifth WCWS, but they're the big underdog, especially in their opening-round matchup against No. 1 seed Florida.

•The sentimental favorite: A little more a year after an on-campus shooting that took the lives of 33, the Hokie softball team is proudly carrying the banner for a university still healing from the devastating event.

And Virginia Tech knows a little about success in OKC. Pitcher Angela Tincher and the Hokies no-hit Team USA in an exhibition game at Hall of Fame Stadium in March. Now they're back looking for similar success.

•The dominant up-start/hometown hero: Former Oklahoma Sooner baseball player and softball assistant coach Tim Walton has the Florida Gators in their first WCWS, capping a brilliant rebuilding project at the Southeastern Conference school.

The 67-3 Gators are the No. 1 seed and Walton knows a little about winning championships. He was on OU's 1994 national championship baseball squad and helped coach the Sooners to the 2000 WCWS title.

•Chasing the three-peat: Arizona might be without head coach Mike Candrea this season while he tours the country in preparation for the Olympic Games with USA Softball, but the Wildcats still have Taryne Mowatt in the circle. She's not the biggest pitcher around, but she carried Arizona to the title last year.

•Long-time power: UCLA is back in the WCWS act this season after missing the show last year. The Bruins' last title came in 2004. A year later, they lost to Michigan in the championship series. Now they're looking to make it a dozen titles since 1982 and they've never gone more than three years without winning the national championship.

Who wants a sno-cone?

http://newsok.com/wcws-has-just-abou.?tm=1211862633

UL Softball Re: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

Interesting mid major Cinderella? I guess when you win a few titles they drop the mid major Cinderella stuff. I gather that because I never hear anything like that about Cal State Fullerton. The Titans are always solid, and I think we can become the Titans of softball.

3. Default Re: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

I wish they were going up there with their cleanlier id "Lady Cajuns"

Default Re: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I wish they were going up there with their cleanlier id "Lady Cajuns" _
    Our team may be the only Cinderalla there. I just found out they have another unique characteristic. That piece of info is they are taking a bus to Oklahoma City rather than flying. I can almost guarantee that all of the other teams are flying to the tournament. If this is not an indication that our athletic program is in need of a large funding increase, I don't know what is. After what those girls have accomplished, they should not have to take a 10 hour bus ride.

the tournamnet pays for all travelnot the team

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by KingRob View Post
    _ the tournamnet pays for all travelnot the team _
    Maybe some of them prefer not to fly. These girls probably have a blast taking a 10 hr bus ride together. You can haul more luggage, jam out on the bus and have a load of fun. The parents and fans can caravan with them. It may not seem to be traveling "high end" but I think it's a fun way to enjoy their entire WCWS experience.

Maybe the tournament gives everyone a set travel budget and they wanted to use it differently than blowing it all on travel.

Just throwing out possibilities.

the tournamnet pays for all travelnot the team
    that seems to be a gigantic slap in the face. We're the only team the tournament didn't fly to the tourney.

I'm not exactly sure which places we actually flew to, but it doesn't look like we fared well on those trips.

Columbus, GA - lost 3 out of 5
    Fullerton, CA - lost 4 out of 5
    College Station, TX - lost 2 out of 5
    Bowling Green, KY - lost 2 out of 3

Our only other losses are 2 at Houston and 1 at home against ULM. Maybe superstition is taking over here and the girls want to stay connected to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    _ that seems to be a gigantic slap in the face. We're the only team the tournament didn't fly to the tourney. _

Not a slap in the face, you are missing his point. They all travel at same level of support from the NCAA. The NCAA does not want less affluent schools to be subject to cost issues. Like others I think this was a decision based on other things than money.

Frankly they would not be on a charter with only about 25 players and coaches, and I know I would rather bus 10 hours than the misery that goes with a short flight.

_ the tournamnet pays for all travelnot the team _
    I know the NCAA is paying for the trip. In our case they are paying for a bus trip, not a charter plane flight. I understand some may prefer to bus. If the majority want it that way, fine. We also happen to play the first game on Thursday. I would prefer a later game after traveling all day Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ I know the NCAA is paying for the trip. In our case they are paying for a bus trip, not a charter plane flight. I understand some may prefer to bus. If the majority want it that way, fine. We also happen to play the first game on Thursday. I would prefer a later game after traveling all day Wednesday. _
    "f this is not an indication that our athletic program is in need of a large funding increase, I don't know what is. After what those girls have accomplished, they should not have to take a 10 hour bus ride."

Mike your original pretty much makes it clear you believe it is a money issue, but man come on it is something else. Talk about taking a five hour bus ride to Houston to sit in the air port to take a forty minute flight to OKC, and probably sitting in the airport for over an hour or running to make a flight. Security, and on and on. Many people simply will not fly where they can drive in a reasonable amount of time these days.

No doubt the girls from Gainsville probably will have a charter flight and be compensated at coach rates.

_ I know the NCAA is paying for the trip. In our case they are paying for a bus trip, not a charter plane flight. I understand some may prefer to bus. If the majority want it that way, fine. We also happen to play the first game on Thursday. I would prefer a later game after traveling all day Wednesday. _

The team left this morning, they will not be traveling all day on Wednesday.

GEAUX UL!

the team is on the road today (they left at 7 this a.m.)and will have plenty of time to rest prior to thursday's game.

I know the NCAA is paying for the trip. In our case they are paying for a bus trip, not a charter plane flight. I understand some may prefer to bus. If the majority want it that way, fine. We also happen to play the first game on Thursday. I would prefer a later game after traveling all day Wednesday.
    Mike I checked the NCAA policies and they only pay for charter flights under rare circumstances and for softball they only reimburse travel for 20 people. They also require you to split up your travel if that is what it takes. Another words not getting everyone on the same commercial flight does not make you eligible for a charter. The distance requirement is 300 miles so it wasn't that. Also keep in mind that there was a very short booking window. Especially considering the weekend and holiday.

I would imagine in the end it just came down to what was the simpliest thing to do and keep the whole team together. The NCAA requires all air travel to be done by their travel agency and you get what you get. In our case it probably would have mean't a trip to New Orleans to catch a commercial flight. Two hours to New Orleans to arrive two hours before the flight. Probably around three hours travel including time to collect baggage and get ground transport in Ok City. Your looking at seven hours vs. ten and a bunch of hassles going through luggage checks, security etc. Guess you can tell I don't care to fly.

By the way the girls left this morning so they will be there this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ "f this is not an indication that our athletic program is in need of a large funding increase, I don't know what is. After what those girls have accomplished, they should not have to take a 10 hour bus ride."

Mike your original pretty much makes it clear you believe it is a money issue, but man come on it is something else. Talk about taking a five hour bus ride to Houston to sit in the air port to take a forty minute flight to OKC, and probably sitting in the airport for over an hour or running to make a flight. Security, and on and on. Many people simply will not fly where they can drive in a reasonable amount of time these days.

No doubt the girls from Gainsville probably will have a charter flight and be compensated at coach rates. _

I was never considering a commercial flight as an option. In my view, they should have a charter flight, no questions asked. I know the NCAA pays for only a certain amount. If our university had the funds, we could have made up the difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information