Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

UL Softball Re: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

For those interested, in an interview with Michael Lotief on this site, he states that they decided to take the bus so they could bring 40 people, including walk-ons and support folks. They all played a part, and they all get to go. Class act.

Default Re: WCWS has just about all you could ask for

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ For those interested, in an interview with Michael Lotief on this site, he states that they decided to take the bus so they could bring 40 people, including walk-ons and support folks. They all played a part, and they all get to go. Class act. _
    You beat me to the interview.It would be nice to be able to fly everyone, but that would be a lot of duckets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    _ You beat me to the interview.It would be nice to be able to fly everyone, but that would be a lot of duckets. _

I checked the Oklahoma City newspaper Sport section for articles about the WCWS and there was nothing, zero. That is pretty surprising given games start on Thursday and the teams had all arrived yesterday. But, there were a lot of articles about NCAA baseball and particularly the baseball regional that OU was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ Mike I checked the NCAA policies and they only pay for charter flights under rare circumstances and for softball they only reimburse travel for 20 people. They also require you to split up your travel if that is what it takes. Another words not getting everyone on the same commercial flight does not make you eligible for a charter. The distance requirement is 300 miles so it wasn't that. Also keep in mind that there was a very short booking window. Especially considering the weekend and holiday.

I would imagine in the end it just came down to what was the simpliest thing to do and keep the whole team together. The NCAA requires all air travel to be done by their travel agency and you get what you get. In our case it probably would have mean't a trip to New Orleans to catch a commercial flight. Two hours to New Orleans to arrive two hours before the flight. Probably around three hours travel including time to collect baggage and get ground transport in Ok City. Your looking at seven hours vs. ten and a bunch of hassles going through luggage checks, security etc. Guess you can tell I don't care to fly.

By the way the girls left this morning so they will be there this evening. _
    Why in the heck would you fly out of New Orleans?? There is no direct flight from NO to Ok City. All 3 Southwest flights make a stop at Dallas-Love Field

Fly Continental to Houston leaving Lafayette @ 8:40 a.m. and even with a connecting flight you'd be in OK City by 11:32 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowDog View Post
    Why in the heck would you fly out of New Orleans?? There is no direct flight from NO to Ok City. All 3 Southwest flights make a stop at Dallas-Love Field

Fly Continental to Houston leaving Lafayette @ 8:40 a.m. and even with a connecting flight you'd be in OK City by 11:32 a.m.
    Because NO is within the distance of major airports as set forth by NCAA travel regs and Houston is not. Remember this is the NCAA and it doesn't have to be logical or make sense.

Big thing here is we weren't going to get to take everybody if we flew so they took the bus. I really think it was the best. As Coach Mike noted they are used to it and it is a lot more comfortable than a plane.

As you noted you probably have three hours travel including one connection and at least an hour and a half more for arrival and an hour once you land collect baggage and get ground transport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information