Thread: Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite

Default Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite

NEW ORLEANS – The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns enter the 2014 softball season as the conference favorite while WKU infielder Olivia Watkins was selected as the Preseason Player of the Year on the 2014 Sun Belt Conference Softball Preseason All-Conference list released on Monday. UL junior pitcher, Jordan Wallace, was selected as the Preseason Pitcher of the Year.

The selections were made in a vote by the league's eight head coaches.

Watkins is coming off an impressive season in which she was named to the NFCA All-Region First Team, the Sun Belt All-Conference First Team and Sun Belt Conference All-Tournament Team. She ranked 19th in the nation in stolen bases per game with 0.62 average and led the conference with 38 stolen bases.

Wallace earned 32 victories and struck out 382 batters last season, while also throwing three-consecutive shutouts in the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional. She finished the year with a 32-9 record, a 1.70 ERA and ranked third in the nation with the 382 strikeouts.

The Ragin' Cajuns are coming off a 2013 season in which they won the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional by winning back-to-back games. The Ragin' Cajuns forced a decisive game three in the NCAA Ann Arbor Super Regional, but their season ended with a 47-15 record and their first back-to-back trip to NCAA Super Regionals in school history.

South Alabama senior pitcher Hannah Campbell, who was a Second-Team All-America honoree by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA), was named a Preseason All-Conference Pitcher. South Alabama tied with WKU for the most honorees on the preseason list with three. Joining Campbell on the list were her teammates Kaitlyn Griffin (shortstop) and Balir Johnson (outfield). WKU infielder Preslie Cruce and pitcher Emily Rousseau (at-large) were also honored, joining Watkins.

Several conference newcomers earned preseason laurels. Georgia State junior Callie Alford earned distinction as both a catcher and an at-large player (infield) on the list. Teammate Jessica Clifton was named to the list as an outfielder while UT Arlington junior Nina Villanueva, and sophomore Britnea Barilli were each named at-large selections.

The 2014 Sun Belt Conference Softball season begins this Thursday, Feb. 6 as South Alabama hosts UAB and Troy hosts Auburn. Conference play begins on Saturday, March 22. All eight teams will advance to the conference tournament held May 7-10 in Lafayette, LA, on the campus of the University of Louisiana.

2014 Sun Belt Conference Preseason All-Conference Team
    P: Hannah Campbell (South Alabama, Senior, Pitcher); Jordan Wallace (UL, Junior, Pitcher)
    C: Callie Alford (Georgia State, Junior, C/3B)
    1B: Kacie McAllister (Troy, Senior, 1B)
    2B: Olivia Watkins (WKU, Senior, 2B)
    SS: Kaitlyn Griffin (South Alabama, Junior, SS)
    3B: Preslie Cruce (WKU, Junior, 3B)
    OF: Shellie Landry (UL, Sophomore, OF); Blair Johnson (South Alabama, Junior, OF); Jessica Clifton (Georgia State, Senior, OF)
    DP: Sara Corbello (UL, Sophomore, DP)
    At-Large: Emily Rousseau (WKU, Senior, Pitcher); Nina Villanueva (UT Arlington, Junior, SS); Callie Alford (Georgia State, Junior, 3B); Britnea Barilli (UT Arlington, Sophomore, OF)

2014 Sun Belt Conference Preseason Player of the Year
    Olivia Watkins (WKU, Senior, 2B)

2014 Sun Belt Conference Preseason Pitcher Player of the Year
    Jordan Wallace (UL, Junior, Pitcher)

2014 Sun Belt Conference Softball Preseason Poll (First Place Votes)

Louisiana (6)-62 pts
    South Alabama (2) -57 pts
    WKU (0) -47 pts
    Texas State (0) -33 pts
    Georgia State (0) -30 pts
    Troy (0) -27 pts
    UT Arlington (0) -21 pts
    UL Monroe (0) -11 pts

I am at a complete loss at this. What do these coaches know that I'm missing? I know the conference tournament is being held here, and I, just like most others, believe that this team will improve offensively as the season progresses, but how do you completely ignore the fact that Western Kentucky returns their #1 pitcher, who went 5-1 against the Cajuns and South Alabama last year, virtually all of their offense returns and they won the regular season last year with a 20-3 record. How do you ignore that South Alabama returns BOTH of their pitchers, the #2 going undefeated on the 2013 season? Hey, I'm all for having everyone's respect, but I also believe fair is fair. Both South Alabama and Western Kentucky, in my estimation, have earned the right to have targets on their backs, not only because of their success last year, but because they have all the tools in place to repeat that success this year, and the Cajuns have many unproven players that will have to show they have championship capabilities.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/20...203140420.aspx

Default Re: Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite, WKU's Watkins picked as Preseason Player of the

I'm just wondering how Natalie Fernandez doesn't make that list somewhere.

Default Re: Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite, WKU's Watkins picked as Preseason Player of the

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I'm just wondering how Natalie Fernandez doesn't make that list somewhere.
    Uh, yeah, I agree with you, especially when comparing her numbers to the two UTA players. I'm also wondering how Callie Alford (Georgia State) is going to be the All-Conference Catcher AND an All-Conference At-Large player.

Probably because this is the SBC, so everyone needs to feel like they're included despite being undeserving of the honor.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Probably because this is the SBC, so everyone needs to feel like they're included despite being undeserving of the honor.
    This and they all hate us. They will hate us more when they come for the conference tournament.

Default Re: Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    I am at a complete loss at this. What do these coaches know that I'm missing? I know the conference tournament is being held here, and I, just like most others, believe that this team will improve offensively as the season progresses, but how do you completely ignore the fact that Western Kentucky returns their #1 pitcher, who went 5-1 against the Cajuns and South Alabama last year, virtually all of their offense returns and they won the regular season last year with a 20-3 record. How do you ignore that South Alabama returns BOTH of their pitchers, the #2 going undefeated on the 2013 season? Hey, I'm all for having everyone's respect, but I also believe fair is fair. Both South Alabama and Western Kentucky, in my estimation, have earned the right to have targets on their backs, not only because of their success last year, but because they have all the tools in place to repeat that success this year, and the Cajuns have many unproven players that will have to show they have championship capabilities.
    WKU does have a new coach. So there may be some bumps in the road because of that. I generally agree that WKU should've garnered a few first place votes

Cajuns get 6 first place votes and 2 second place votes. I also don't see us winning the regular season. The tournament may be a different story.

8. UL Softball Re: Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite

I see us winning it all, and by all I mean ALL. This will be the perfect season. We nearly reached perfection a couple of seasons back.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I see us winning it all, and by all I mean ALL. This will be the perfect season. We nearly reached perfection a couple of seasons back.
    Awful hard to do that without Brianna and Myers...

10. UL Softball Re: Cajuns tabbed Preseason Softball Favorite

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee View Post
    Awful hard to do that without Brianna and Myers...
    Do not bring a reality check to my pre season.

For those interested in seeing one of the teams playing in Lafayette this weekend, you can see the Texas game on cox sports right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    For those interested in seeing one of the teams playing in Lafayette this weekend, you can see the Texas game on cox sports right now.
    Can't say I'm surprised at the outcome. Taylor Thom with a three run bomb in the fifth and Lindsey Stephens with a solo shot in the sixth, both against Ashley Czechner, cement a 6-1 Longhorn win.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised at the outcome. Taylor Thom with a three run bomb in the fifth and Lindsey Stephens with a solo shot in the sixth, both against Ashley Czechner, cement a 6-1 Longhorn win.
    thanks for the update, I changed the game to watch the Cajuns game and all I caught was the final score.

Thread Information