Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Send your memories of Authement to the Advertiser

1. People Send your memories of Authement to the Advertiser

The Daily Advertiser is planning a commemorative edition as Ray Authement retires after 34 years as president of the University of Louisiana.

Do you have stories about Authement, memories about his days at UL or other items to share?

Email news@theadvertiser.com with the subject line "Authement memories" or send a letter to
    The Daily Advertiser
    Authement memories
    1100 Bertrand Drive
    Lafayette, LA 70506.

The source of the request

2. Default Re: Send your memories of Authement to the Advertiser

You know this could be disasterous.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Send your memories of Authement to the Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    You know this could be disasterous.
    ya think?

Z

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    _ You know this could be disasterous. _
    This is beyond a train wreck waiting to happen!!!! I for one can not wait to read some of the comments. I do not think Bones will like what he reads.

"Me being positive."

My fondest memory of Authement was the day he opened the athletic purse strings. I think it was the same day he announced his retirement.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Carmon View Post
    My fondest memory of Authement was the day he opened the athletic purse strings. I think it was the same day he announced his retirement.
    still large and in charge till June 30th. Dont get pumped yet.

Z

This is so COOL Re: Send your memories of Authement to the Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    Maybe you guys don't know the importance of an education. Maybe you guys should have gone to an SEC school where they have monies for athletics and don't have to fight with a bozoo mentallity legislature. I can't understand how people can't understand the importance of having a Unversity other than LSU and Tulane that is a research university. Until the name change, Could UL be known as a research university. So putting monies into the educational end of this University versus athletics was a NO BRAINER. REMEMBER THIS, the la legislature regulated how much of our tuition could be used on athletics. Considering we have no big profit sharings like the BCS schools, unless we sell tickets and get contributions, we are suppose to use academic monies for athletics. I dont' think so. So you don't like Dr. Authement, I DO and am glad his name is on my diploma. I like UL sports as much as anyone. I consider myself a die-hard UL fan first and then athletics second. To see our young people stay and come from other areas of LA. and nation to UL and choose us over other state Schools is what I am talking about. Hey, I want winners in athletics too and i have been around since '66, so I have seen good years and disappointing years, over 40 years and sleepless nights.
    SO that is what I have to say about negative comments about Dr. A.

Geaux Cajuns

9. Default Re: Send your memories of Authement to the Advertiser

My fondest personal memory of Dr. Authement was talking to him at a UL football practice that he came out to watch.

He was on vacation that week, very relaxed, very nice, a fan of the the game.

He told me that at a certain point in time ownership of the CajunDome would revert to UL. (sorry I didn't write down the date)

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post

Geaux Cajuns _
    Jim, I couldn't agree with you more about Dr. A's contributions. It is where I feel he did not contribute, and could have, that has had me frustrated. It is like criticizing a U.S. President over having great economic policy, but terrible foreign policy. The critic of his foreign policy is always getting reeled in by the lover of his economic policy. I, personally, feel the two go hand in hand. Does it cause more complications? Yes. But, I have been in attendance at UL for several decades and could not comprehend how or why Dr. A would not feverishly fight for athletics. It is not that I so highly value athletics as the monster school fans do. it is because it also makes sense for every other component of a state's school's existence, preservation, and future.

I am not going to back down that over the past decades numerous opportunities to ignite the UL athletic programs has been thwarted. Athletics was never in competition with education and research status. They would and should compliment each other in a well administered state school. That lack of vision and daring is worthy of criticism. However, it is inappropriate and unnecessary to rally those cries at this time, with Dr. A. It is time to pass that torch to his successor and challenge him with equal, if not greater, fervor.

_ . REMEMBER THIS, the la legislature regulated how much of our tuition could be used on athletics. Considering we have no big profit sharings like the BCS schools, unless we sell tickets and get contributions, we are suppose to use academic monies for athletics. .
    The legislature does not regulate how our fans can contribute to athletics. It was Doc A who prevented the formation of any independent athletic foundation. No one here ever suggested using academic money for athletics so don't even try to use that straw man.

Doc A did a lot of good things academically for UL and he should be recognized for that but he also earned the critisism of the fans through his stubborness and lack of foresight when it comes to athletics. And that critisism of him shuld also be included in any retrospective of his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Jim, I couldn't agree with you more about Dr. A's contributions. It is where I feel he did not contribute, and could have, that has had me frustrated. It is like criticizing a U.S. President over having great economic policy, but terrible foreign policy. The critic of his foreign policy is always getting reeled in by the lover of his economic policy. I, personally, feel the two go hand in hand. Does it cause more complications? Yes. But, I have been in attendance at UL for several decades and could not comprehend how or why Dr. A would not feverishly fight for athletics. It is not that I so highly value athletics as the monster school fans do. it is because it also makes sense for every other component of a state's school's existence, preservation, and future.

I am not going to back down that over the past decades numerous opportunities to ignite the UL athletic programs has been thwarted. Athletics was never in competition with education and research status. They would and should compliment each other in a well administered state school. That lack of vision and daring is worthy of criticism. However, it is inappropriate and unnecessary to rally those cries at this time, with Dr. A. It is time to pass that torch to his successor and challenge him with equal, if not greater, fervor.
    Well said by you and USLJim. Thank you. At this juncture, we need to reflect on his entire body of work, not just one area (even if that one area is mighty big to most of us here on this board). I wish Doc well in his richly deserved retirement. I just hope and trust that Doc S will take up the cause of TOTAL university advancement with as much enthusiasm, energy and dedication as Doc A has given UL.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Well said by you and USLJim. Thank you. At this juncture, we need to reflect on his entire body of work, not just one area (even if that one area is mighty big to most of us here on this board). I wish Doc well in his richly deserved retirement. I just hope and trust that Doc S will take up the cause of TOTAL university advancement with as much enthusiasm, energy and dedication as Doc A has given UL.
    Not singling you out RF2, but unfortunately in this day and age, a university is judged by 90 % of the folks by its athletic programs. They are of MAJOR importance.
    Thats why lsu is looked upon as gods gift by most, which we all know isn't even close to being true.we are looked upon as the dregsagain which we all know isn't close to being true.

Ball was dropped along time ago.

Z

Maybe you guys don't know the importance of an education. Maybe you guys should have gone to an SEC school where they have monies for athletics and don't have to fight with a bozoo mentallity legislature. I can't understand how people can't understand the importance of having a Unversity other than LSU and Tulane that is a research university. Until the name change, Could UL be known as a research university. So putting monies into the educational end of this University versus athletics was a NO BRAINER. REMEMBER THIS, the la legislature regulated how much of our tuition could be used on athletics. Considering we have no big profit sharings like the BCS schools, unless we sell tickets and get contributions, we are suppose to use academic monies for athletics. I dont' think so. So you don't like Dr. Authement, I DO and am glad his name is on my diploma. I like UL sports as much as anyone. I consider myself a die-hard UL fan first and then athletics second. To see our young people stay and come from other areas of LA. and nation to UL and choose us over other state Schools is what I am talking about. Hey, I want winners in athletics too and i have been around since '66, so I have seen good years and disappointing years, over 40 years and sleepless nights.

Geaux Cajuns
    Has he done a good deal of improvement for academics? Yes he has and no one can argue that fact. but did he do enough for the university? i do not think he has. our facilities have gone to hell under his watch, our endowment while over $120 million is no where near what it could be given the communities resources. Our athletic programs suck ass. Bones has done some great things but I think his failures as a president are more evident than his success. Doc A was much like Castro in a sense that he had a choke hold on a prosperous business and his micro management has seriously hindered UL since the late '80s. He should have retired 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Not singling you out RF2, but unfortunately in this day and age, a university is judged by 90 % of the folks by its athletic programs. They are of MAJOR importance.
    Thats why lsu is looked upon as gods gift by most, which we all know isn't even close to being true.we are looked upon as the dregsagain which we all know isn't close to being true.

Ball was dropped along time ago.

Z
    Point well taken, Z-man. I don't disagree that he dropped the ball with regards to athletics. It's just that he's getting the hell beaten out of him on here, with our extreme focus on athletics. That's what this forum is designed for: discussing Ragin' Cajuns athletics. Naturally the focus on Dr. A from this forum would be centered on his shortcomings in that area. I just feel that in a discussion of his impact on UL, it shouldn't ignore the very real positives he has brought to the university. BTW, what's a "dreg"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information