Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: UL Game Played Clean . . . Umpires

UL Baseball UL Game Played Clean . . . Umpires

I took the game in at Petes tonight with a friend (CajunHawk). Is it just me or did anyone else find the strike zone calls less than impressive? We both were seeing inside pitches called strikes(esp the pitch that ended the game) and balls nearly in the dirt called in LSU's favor. It is hard for me to be objective on this but it seemed like the calls favored the purple people all night long. Secondly, Whats with that double that was hit down the line at first base that appeared to be outside the chalk by a wide margin. Did Harst touch it causing it to come back into play? I'm nearly positive that was a foul ball and led to the big inning that sunk our ship. Robe came out to argue and was getting animated but to no avail. I kinda wish he would have gotten ejected to light a fire under the butts of our guys. Dont get me wrong, two errors in the same inning will do damage regardless but the "double down the line at first" seems fishy.

What is the rule on umpire crews for non conference games in the SEC? I'm sure they are SEC umps which may have just answered my own question and perhaps validated my complaints.

One more complaint, who cares what Blair Barbia (sp) has to say? Barbie looked like he gained 30lbs, and between he and that other landmonster doing the interview they could have killed an all you can eat at Ryan's. The two twinkes talked for nearly the whole top half of the inning.

Perhaps I just have a bad taste in my mouth because of who we played and the result was not what Iwanted. I can tell you one thing though, had we won this game I would still have something to say about the umpires tonight.

Default Re: Umpires @ LSU game.

Once LSUA&M took the lead, it appeared that the strike zone got might small for Cajun pitchers and the borderline calls were going the way of the home team.

Either way, LSUA&M did what it took to win the game. Like I mentioned in a previous post. 0 Errors & 0 BB was the difference in the game. No excuses tonight. We did not do what we needed to get the W.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    I took the game in at Petes tonight with a friend (CajunHawk). Is it just me or did anyone else find the strike zone calls less than impressive? We both were seeing inside pitches called strikes(esp the pitch that ended the game) and balls nearly in the dirt called in LSU's favor. It is hard for me to be objective on this but it seemed like the calls favored the purple people all night long. Secondly, Whats with that double that was hit down the line at first base that appeared to be outside the chalk by a wide margin. Did Harst touch it causing it to come back into play? I'm nearly positive that was a foul ball and led to the big inning that sunk our ship. Robe came out to argue and was getting animated but to no avail. I kinda wish he would have gotten ejected to light a fire under the butts of our guys. Dont get me wrong, two errors in the same inning will do damage regardless but the "double down the line at first" seems fishy.

What is the rule on umpire crews for non conference games in the SEC? I'm sure they are SEC umps which may have just answered my own question and perhaps validated my complaints.

One more complaint, who cares what Blair Barbia (sp) has to say? Barbie looked like he gained 30lbs, and between he and that other landmonster doing the interview they could have killed an all you can eat at Ryan's. The two twinkes talked for nearly the whole top half of the inning.

Perhaps I just have a bad taste in my mouth because of who we played and the result was not what Iwanted. I can tell you one thing though, had we won this game I would still have something to say about the umpires tonight.
    The last pitch was a very good slider and almost unhittable but it did break across the plate. The umpire was calling the low strikes. Difference was that LSU's catcher was setting up for the low strike and the ump was giving it to him. It isn't uncommon for an ump to give the pitcher a little more of a zone IF he is hitting his mark.

All in all I didn't think it was a poorly called game however I did not see the play down the first base line.

I thought it was one of the best umpired games I've seen all season. Much better than the idiots we get in the SunBelt. On that double down the 1st base line, I think Harst actuall touched the ball.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Perhaps I just have a bad taste in my mouth because of who we played and the result was not what Iwanted. I can tell you one thing though, had we won this game I would still have something to say about the umpires tonight. _
    I saw no problem with the calls behind the plate. A couple of the LSU sinkers were low and called strikes, but for the most part they were clipping the edges. I saw no favoritism behind the plate. It was purely the pitches with great movement clipping the edges of a zone. I also didn't see a huge variance in strike zone. It was good pitching on the part of LSU's middle and closers.

I think you were a little jammed up on who we were playing. Blair Barbier is a good guy. Good guys usually do put on weight after their college days are over. The other guy, who works for CST, is Ronnie Rantz, former LSU pitcher. Rantz has called some Cajuns televised games over the years and been very fair and complimentary.

Bottom line is we fell apart inthe 5th (AGAIN) and it did us in. No one to blame but ourselves.

7. Default Re: Umpires @ LSU game.

Did Harst touch it causing it to come back into play? I'm nearly positive that was a foul ball and led to the big inning that sunk our ship.
    It doesn't matter if Harst caused the ball to come back into play. It is where the ball is when it is touched that matters. If the ball is first touched in foul territory, it is a foul ball. Regardless whether the ball rolls or deflects back into play.

_ I took the game in at Petes tonight with a friend (CajunHawk). Is it just me or did anyone else find the strike zone calls less than impressive? We both were seeing inside pitches called strikes(esp the pitch that ended the game) and balls nearly in the dirt called in LSU's favor. It is hard for me to be objective on this but it seemed like the calls favored the purple people all night long. Secondly, Whats with that double that was hit down the line at first base that appeared to be outside the chalk by a wide margin. Did Harst touch it causing it to come back into play? I'm nearly positive that was a foul ball and led to the big inning that sunk our ship. Robe came out to argue and was getting animated but to no avail. I kinda wish he would have gotten ejected to light a fire under the butts of our guys. Dont get me wrong, two errors in the same inning will do damage regardless but the "double down the line at first" seems fishy.

Perhaps I just have a bad taste in my mouth because of who we played and the result was not what Iwanted. I can tell you one thing though, had we won this game I would still have something to say about the umpires tonight. _
    The game was fairly called! I was there with a bunch of friends and we had a great time except for the final score. We didnt do what was needed. Walks and errors killed us. Lsu had 0 walks and 0 errors. Don't blame the umpires.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Umpires @ LSU game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee View Post
    _ It doesn't matter if Harst caused the ball to come back into play. It is where the ball is when it is touched that matters. If the ball is first touched in foul territory, it is a foul ball. Regardless whether the ball rolls or deflects back into play. _
    Cherokee, is right. It was a bad call by an old man who needs night vision glasses. All it takes is one blunder and it gets things going. Had it been us on that in and we got ignited, I can't blame the other team for being upset.
    Between Mickey Neese, lswho, and Cry-baby Lamar, places I hate to go to because of so much home cooking. I didn't go last night, watched on tv, because of the k-mart tigers and their trash talk other than sports. Don't care to be around those type of people either their or the confines of our athletic complex.
    Geaux cajuns.

I thought overall the umps called a good game. Bottom line is baseball is a game where a stirke or a ball here or there is the difference. Whether the ball down the line was touched by Harst or not, there would have been a play sooner or later like that at the litterbox. There always is. It won't go against the tiggers in their yard.

Robe is a glutton for the punishment. It does nothing for our program to go there without a return. We should play them on a 1 for 1 - only- or not at all. Robe just doesn't get it with the tiggers for the same reason he chooses to go to Tulane every year with no return.

The program there is an average program now. They are 8 years removed from a win at Omaha. No regional for 2 years.

I just do not understand the ignorance with perceptions of their greatness.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRed View Post
    I just do not understand the ignorance with perceptions of their greatness. _
    Are you talking about UL or LSU when it comes to perceived greatness? We haven't accomplished much recently.

Playing Tulane and LSU is very important for us as far as recruiting goes (from what Tony says). Prospective players want to play Rice/LSU/Tulane etc. These are perrenial baseball powers and they're close to us location wise. I agree it should be home and home, but for some reason we don't have much bargaining power.

I see us winning a game or two in the sun belt tourney. But to go further would take us playing beyond ourselves.

Is there anything worse than ending a game with the bat on your shoulders? I hate that on any level.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee View Post
    _ It doesn't matter if Harst caused the ball to come back into play. It is where the ball is when it is touched that matters. If the ball is first touched in foul territory, it is a foul ball. Regardless whether the ball rolls or deflects back into play. _
    What I saw was Harst, in fair territory, touching the ball (in the air) in foul territory. Doesn't that make it a fair ball?

Also, I thought the umps were a little biased, but all-in-all, called a decent game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Are you talking about UL or LSU when it comes to perceived greatness? We haven't accomplished much recently.

Playing Tulane and LSU is very important for us as far as recruiting goes (from what Tony says). Prospective players want to play Rice/LSU/Tulane etc. These are perrenial baseball powers and they're close to us location wise. I agree it should be home and home, but for some reason we don't have much bargaining power.
    I have no visions of our greatness. The perceptions I speak of are the perceptions of the greatness of the tiggers. They're average and seats are empty. Fact is, the seats are sold - but no one is going to the games. Last night was one the bigger actual attendance games for them. Empty seats don't buy cokes or shirts.

Tony says alot of stuff depending on the flavor of the day. I wonder if someone could name one recruit who said "No I'm not going to UL cause they haven't played the tiggers in 6 years."

Fact is we get a return from Rice and Nebraska next year yet we ride our bikes to get the play with the big kids in BR and NO.

Maybe we ought to have a little backbone.

My seats were possibly the worst angle on the field to see the play at first, but I am going to have to believe it was a foul ball based on Tony's reaction to the call. Good call or bad call, two errors following that play lost the game for us. Blaming the ump for the loss is like blaming Bartman for the Cubs losing in '03. The tiggers had no errors and no walks allowed. That wins baseball games.

I still find it hard to believe that our hitting philosophy is "aggressive" when we take first pitch fastballs ALL NIGHT.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information