Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Article: Louisiana Tabbed 13th in USA Today/NFCA Preseason Poll

Default Re: Cajun softball #13 in 2014 USA Today/NFCA pre-season poll

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCajun View Post
    I don't follow what you are trying to say with this comment. You talking about the away games?
    Sounds like someone has never been to the UL athletic complex despite his username.

I can't make many, but I promise I will be one of those new butts in the seats. I love the schedule and will try to reward this team with attending and spending some money with them.

I'm a baseball season ticket holder for many years, but have followed softball when I could. My budget is also tight, but I made about 90% of the softball games last year as a game day ticket purchaser. Just fit them in when you can.

My wife and I would like to buy season tickets to all sports once we're retired. We all need a goal in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    I thought that was a little high but should have one heck of an RPI at the end of the season.
    Ah but someone on the Softball Tournament committee will look at the high RPI and say "Oh no, we can't seed them that high". "We need to drop them down a few notches."

And everyone knows who that is.

5. Default Re: Cajun softball #13 in 2014 USA Today/NFCA pre-season poll

Yea, he is fine with getting screwed by about five spots. Now who was that guy? I think he is not on the committee any longer so maybe we will get a better shake.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Yea, he is fine with getting screwed by about five spots. Now who was that guy? I think he is not on the committee any longer so maybe we will get a better shake.
    But he was comfortable with that ranking, remember?

7. Ragin' Cajuns Ragin' Cajuns Tabbed 13th in USA Today/NFCA Preseason Poll

The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns softball team has been ranked 13th in the initial 2014 USA Today/NFCA Division I Softball Poll, which was announced by the NFCA on Tuesday.

The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns softball team has been ranked 13th in the initial 2014 USA Today/NFCA Division I Softball Poll, which was announced by the NFCA on Tuesday.

The Cajuns have been ranked in the top-25 in each of the last 12 seasons and in 17 of the last 20 seasons, dating back to 1995. They dropped one spot from 12th in last seasons final polls, and were ranked 11th at seasons start in 2013.

"It's always and honor and a privilege to be recognized by your peers as one of the top programs in the country," head coach Michael Lotief said. "That is a good thing for our program and it says a lot about the respect that this program garners throughout the country."

Tennessee opens the season in the top spot with 729 points and seven first place votes, despite defending national champion Oklahoma receiving 17 first place votes. The Sooners are ranked second with 720 points in the poll.

The Cajuns face six top-25 teams on the 2014 regular season schedule, accounting for 17 games. No. 2 Oklahoma (March 14-15), No. 5 Michigan (Feb. 14-15), No. 10 Texas (Feb. 7-8), No. 18 Baylor (Feb. 28 & April 22), No. 20 South Alabama (April 12-13) and No. 25 USF (Feb. 22) are all on the Cajuns' schedule, with Oklahoma, Michigan, Texas and South Alabama each making trips to Lamson Park.

"It's good to see other teams on our schedule in the polls," Lotief . "I am hoping that the expectations of the season and excitement of the schedule encourage people to come support the team at Lamson Park, and get on board as we start the cycle with a new group of kids."

The Cajuns maintained a top-25 ranking, despite losing several key players from 2013, including All-Americans Nerissa Myers, Brianna Cherry and Sarah Draheim.

Louisiana returns All-Sun Belt selections Natalie Fernandez, Jordan Wallace and Shellie Landry, to compliment a young team entering the season.

"This is a young team though," Lotief added. "I think this team is going to be very good, but we have a lot of work ahead of us and we have a lot of big shoes to fill. These kids have worked very hard and they embrace the expectations and challenges of being one of the best teams in the country, but it's going to be a journey."

As great an honor as it is to be selected in the top-25, Lotief says that the team would have the same approach and confidence going into the season, no matter what.

"Confidence comes from within," Lotief said. "It doesn't come from your batting average, a result or how someone feels you are. In my opinion, confidence comes from how you see yourself, and hopefully our girls are confident because they believe in themselves, their preparation and how they believe in each other. Even if we were 150th in the polls, I'd hope our girls came into the season with as much confidence as they would now."

The Cajuns open the 2014 season on Feb. 7 for the 28th Annual Louisiana Classics with Northern Iowa at Lamson Park. First pitch for the season is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Season tickets can be purchased for $135 for reserved seats and $75 dollars for bleacher seats. Tickets are on sale at the Cajundome Ticket Office or by visiting RaginCajuns.com.

8. Default Re: Cajun softball #13 in 2014 USA Today/NFCA pre-season poll

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    I thought that was a little high but should have one heck of an RPI at the end of the season.
    UL had the #1 out of conference RPI in the Nation and got demoted from their overall RPI coming out of committee.

I can't see any schedule topping that record.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    UL had the #1 out of conference RPI in the Nation and got demoted from their overall RPI coming out of committee.

I can't see any schedule topping that record.
    Our non-conference RPI will be pretty good this year as well. There's a lot of season to play, but the teams on the schedule have been historically good.

You have to remember last year the RPI was adjusted to give heavier weight on road games. It was to stop teams like ASU that played their first 20 or so games at home and only went on the road during conference play. That being said these teams will gain more from RPI points by loosing to the Cajuns in Lamson than they would by beating them at home. They will get a bigger jump if they win at Lamson. I am not trying to say we are going to beat all of these teams, just giving a explanation on why we are getting quality oppents.

BRING EM ON MELROCK !

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    BRING EM ON MELROCK !
    I love the schedule and the team. You know where I sit, we will have another beer or two together!

UL Softball Re: Cajun softball #13 in 2014 USA Today/NFCA pre-season poll

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    I can't make many, but I promise I will be one of those new butts in the seats. I love the schedule and will try to reward this team with attending and spending some money with them.
    Good for you! You will be AMAZED! Come to a practice if you can. They come off the field filthy. One even broke a tooth trying to take a ball away from the wall. They work so hard. That is what gives them such a good position when playing games. Usually, they work mornings on Sat. and evenings on Sun, plus weekly usually from 2-5, unless it's their day off. Even on a day off, you will usually find them in the batting cages. Having fans in the seats IS a reward to them for their hard work.

14. Default UL softball ranked 13th in preseason poll

After coming one win short of making the Women's College World Series last year, the UL softball team will open the 2014 season with the No. 13 ranking, according to the USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association preseason poll, released .

This will be a very young team with twenty-something Freshmen and Sophmores! I am pumped, have taken off for the games, have tickets for softball I sit by the batters circle and have a box for baseball on the 3rd base line. And yes I DO appreciate just HOW HARD these young ladies and ALL the Coaches work to put out this GREAT product year in and year out, out the Park that is! In the infamous words of Stevie P, "I don't think there's anybody back there!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information