Thread: Payton's Triple-Double

1. UL Basketball Payton's Triple-Double

Research over the weekend by the UL sports information department determined that junior point guard Elfrid Payton’s triple-double on Saturday at ULM was the sixth in school history.

Payton had a career-high 34 points, career-high 11 rebounds and career-high 11 assists in the Cajuns’ 103-98 two-OT loss to the Warhawks.

Default Re: Payton's Triple-Double

Article says no one in 18 years had the type of stat line Elfrid Payton had in Saturday's game at ULM. He had over 30 points, over 10 rebounds, over 10 assists, and 5 steals. I wonder who was the last guy who did this and what team he played for. Elfrid was on with Jay last night as a guest on Coach Marlin's radio show. Games he felt the team let get away were against Arkansas and Jackson State. Interesting he did not mention ULM. I guess he knew that overall the team did not play well Saturday and realized they did not deserve to win. Not a big surprise but he said the team's main shortcoming that needs to improve for consistent success to be realized is rebounding. That has been an issue going back to last season and probably won't be completely rectified this year as they just don't have another athletic guy to play alongside Shawn Long. When Moore returns it will help some but he is outmanned at times.

I believe I heard or read that the last player to have a triple double was Collins.

4. UL Basketball Re: Payton's Triple-Double

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Not a big surprise but he said the team's main shortcoming that needs to improve for consistent success to be realized is rebounding. That has been an issue going back to last season and probably won't be completely rectified this year as they just don't have another athletic guy to play alongside Shawn Long. When Moore returns it will help some but he is outmanned at times.
    I hope you are wrong, because the Vieux Kande is on scholarship. He cannot shoot, and is learning the game. If he is not athletic it kind of looks like a waste of a scholarship.

I think the young man Jackson out of Texas was suppose to be that young rebounding help, unfortunately he did not make it to campus as of this date, thus 2013-14 season.

You know at some point you gotta say we are just not that good, more appropriately we are an average low level mid major program. We are only a few games away from heading into a half a decade with Coach Marlin. If some of you call going from horribly bad to average bad in four plus seasons progress, then lets boogie.

What bothers me is that we have 2 nba prospects.most teams don't have 1. Yet we are still just average.

Kande is a pure freshman. He has some athletic ability but is raw. I look for him to make more of a contribution next season. Somewhat like Shepherd has progressed from his freshman to his sophomore year. Too early to say if that was a wasted scholarship.

7. Default Re: Payton's Triple-Double

I wonder what E.P.'s free throw percentage is in practice.

I bet it is much higher than when the arms get weary during a game.

Payton in practice from what I have seen and heard is over an 85% free throw shooter. I think all of the travel this summer is catching up with his young body.

As for Jackson he was enrolled in the fall taking a few classes but could not practice with the team because he failed to show up to take a test that would have made him eligible. He is now enrolled somewhere at a junior college. Not sure if he will be back or not.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    What bothers me is that we have 2 nba prospects.most teams don't have 1. Yet we are still just average.
    This is why people blame the coaching.

10. Default Re: Payton's Triple-Double

Yet it is a 5 player sport and if you look at how ULM prevailed they had 5 players score in double figures.

Back to NBA prospects, Marlin has shown again and again he is brilliant at coming up with a game plan to totally shut down the opponents NBA prospect when that player is the core of the team. (see UNT the last three years) Where his teams seem to come up short is when the opponent is hitting on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Yet it is a 5 player sport and if you look at how ULM prevailed they had 5 players score in double figures.

Back to NBA prospects, Marlin has shown again and again he is brilliant at coming up with a game plan to totally shut down the opponents NBA prospect when that player is the core of the team. (see UNT the last three years) Where his teams seem to come up short is when the opponent is hitting on all cylinders.
    His teams just seem to come up short. It is a 5 player sport.he has 2 really damn good ones. On most nights especially from here on out he will have 2 of the best on the court. I guess we will see. What bothers me sometimes about marlin, is after a loss he always states the obvious. Well jay, you know we need to shoot better.especially at the line. We need to rebound better and not turn it over. We need to defend better. Etc etc. well Bob I always thought a coach was paid to make the players better at those things. We will see how we do from here, but another .500 or below season is really bad. If you can't win the sunbelt with those 2 guys leading the team, when can you?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

His teams just seem to come up short. It is a 5 player sport.he has 2 really damn good ones. On most nights especially from here on out he will have 2 of the best on the court. I guess we will see. What bothers me sometimes about marlin, is after a loss he always states the obvious. Well jay, you know we need to shoot better.especially at the line. We need to rebound better and not turn it over. We need to defend better. Etc etc. well Bob I always thought a coach was paid to make the players better at those things. We will see how we do from here, but another .500 or below season is really bad. If you can't win the sunbelt with those 2 guys leading the team, when can you?
    There are two NBA prospects on the team, but Shawn Long has had to play out of position to compensate for lack of team size and depth inside. Most of what Marlin says, although obvious, isn't incorrect. I'm big on putting the blame on the coach, but this team is still under construction, regardless of these two standouts. I can never figure out why free throws get missed so much. And that is something I simply do not place on coaches ever since they disallowed shock collars at basketball practice.

And they're going to make a run at winning the SBC. "At or under .500" ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I wonder what E.P.'s free throw percentage is in practice.

I bet it is much higher than when the arms get weary during a game.
    One miss FT (E.P.) cause us the game with 3.5 seconds on the clock in regulation. would have gone up by one pointI said it and will say it againyou win games most of the time at the free throw line

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    One miss FT (E.P.) cause us the game with 3.5 seconds on the clock in regulation. would have gone up by one pointI said it and will say it againyou win games most of the time at the free throw line
    His miss was with 15 seconds to go in the first OT. It was a big one but ULM still had plenty time to score. Of course, they didnt, so we went to the 2nd overtime. Also, ULM missed a lot of FT's in the game, especially late to allow us back in. We didnt punish them though.

Also, good to see Rimmer hit all 3 FT's to tie the game at the end of regulation. Wouldn't mind seeing him at the line if he's clutch like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    There are two NBA prospects on the team, but Shawn Long has had to play out of position to compensate for lack of team size and depth inside. Most of what Marlin says, although obvious, isn't incorrect. I'm big on putting the blame on the coach, but this team is still under construction, regardless of these two standouts. I can never figure out why free throws get missed so much. And that is something I simply do not place on coaches ever since they disallowed shock collars at basketball practice.

And they're going to make a run at winning the SBC. "At or under .500" ain't happening.
    I didn't say they were incorrect just obvious. He just as well say. " you know jay, in order to win this game we can't let them score more points than us" it concerns me that his "best" season is with lee's players.

Thread Information