Thread: 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

1. UL Football 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

UL - Come Celebrate with Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. The 2008 Football Banquet will be held April 18, 2008 at River Oaks Conference Center (800 Hugh Wallis Road).

Tickets for the Ragin’ Cajuns football banquet are available in the football office at the Cox Communications Athletic Center and at Lafayette Motors(1515 Jefferson Street).

For ticket information or to purchase tickets call Lafayette Motors at 337-233-0930.

Please call the UL Football Office at 337-483-6318 for more information.

RaginCajuns.com

2. UL Football Cajuns Hold Football Banquet

Quarterback Michael Desormeaux was named Cajuns Offensive MVP and team captain, as voted on by the players

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns held their annual post-season football banquet on Friday night at River Oaks Conference Center (800 Hugh Wallis Road) with emcee George Faust from KLFY TV-10.

The banquet was filled with awards, as head coach Rickey Bustle started by honoring the nine Cajuns on the 2007 All-Sun Belt team – DT Korey Raymond, LB Grant Fleming, QB Michael Desormeaux, LB Antwyne Zanders, OL Chris Fisher, K Drew Edmiston, DE Rodney Hardeway, RB Tyrell Fenroy and OL Jesse Newman.

Assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Ron Hudson then presented the Champion Award to freshman offensive lineman Ian Burks. The Champion Award is given to the offensive newcomer that meets specific goals that were set at the beginning of fall practice. These goals were established to build the foundation for success of the Ragin’ Cajuns football program. The list of goals for the award include physical and mental toughness, leadership though work ethic and putting the team ahead of individual honor.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Fouquier announced freshman linebacker Grant Fleming was the recipient of the Top Gun Award, given to the most productive newcomer on defense. Whether it was individual drills, group work or scrimmage situations, the award winner must perform at a level envied by his teammates and respected by his coaches. The individual must exemplify the play-making abilities that are trademarks for great defense.

Lamar Morgan was honored with the 3rd Annual Robert E. Trahan Special Achievement Award. The award is given to an individual, through the help of his teammates for special achievement during the 2007 season. Morgan overcame hip surgery prior to the season to be a crucial part of the Cajuns defense last season.

Former Cajuns defensive end Chris Gannon presented Zanders and senior tight end Keith Talamo with the Grid Iron Alumni Award.

The MVP awards, as voted by the players, went to Desormeaux on offense, Hardeway on defense and Zanders on special teams.

The player-voted team captains were Desormeaux and Fenroy on offense, Hardeway and Morgan on defense and Zanders on special teams.

The banquet came to an end with the farewell recognition of the 2007 seniors.

For information on becoming a season ticket holder, contact the Cajundome ticket office at 337-265-2100.

RaginCajuns.com

3. UL Football Re: 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

UL's football program handed out multiple honors at its annual postseason banquet last week.

Head coach Rickey Bustle opened the banquet by honoring the nine Cajuns to earn All-Sun Belt honors last year - including first-team picks Rodney Hardeway, running back Tyrell Fenroy and offensive lineman Jesse Newman.

The MVP awards, as voted on by the players, went to Michael Desormeaux on offense, Hardeway on defense and Antwyne Zanders on special teams.

Offensive coordinator Ron Hudson gave the Champion Award to freshman offensive lineman Ian Burks. The award is given to the offensive newcomer that meets specific goals that were set at the beginning of fall practice.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

Wow, it took the DA a week to cover the event!

5. Ragin' Cajuns Re: 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    Wow, it took the DA a week to cover the event!
    Would you expect anything more?

Considering this was non-breaking news - and there's been plenty of that at UL lately - I decided to put this in a notebook with two other items whenever enough space became available.

Today happened to be the day.

In the past few days I've written two softball game stories, two softball preview stories, two baseball preview stories, one baseball game story, one conference golf tournament story, one Cajun NFL draft preview story, one Sun Belt NFL draft preview story, not to mention the breaking news of Robert Lee's contract extension and Silvey's being asked to leave.

I've been plenty busy.

7. Default Re: 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

Josh Thanks for all you do, I think you do a fine job.

Unfortunately your shoulders are carrying the DA baggage of certain seasons past.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Considering this was non-breaking news - and there's been plenty of that at UL lately - I decided to put this in a notebook with two other items whenever enough space became available.

In the past few days I've written two softball game stories, two softball preview stories, two baseball preview stories, one baseball game story, one conference golf tournament story, one Cajun NFL draft preview story, one Sun Belt NFL draft preview story, not to mention the breaking news of Robert Lee's contract extension and Silvey's being asked to leave.

I've been plenty busy. _
    You are doing a fine job.you don't have to justify your work to anyone. I have enjoyed your articles.

_ Considering this was non-breaking news - and there's been plenty of that at UL lately - I decided to put this in a notebook with two other items whenever enough space became available.

I've been plenty busy. _
    You have written a lot of good articles. Our problem generally is with the management of the DA, the carpetbagger sports editors that Gannett saddles us with and the less than stellar track record of priority coverage of the hometown team. Unfortunately, you may feel that you are caught in the crossfire. Take Peter Faulks' advice to Alan Arkin to heart. stay low and serpentine.

10. Default Re: 2008 UL Football Banquet Held

I've been plenty busy. _
    You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Thread Information