Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Enrollment

Default Re: UL programs cited by the Board of Regents as "low-completer"

Damn my GF is in Dental Hygiene. she is a senior, and she has not had many positive things to say. They told her to apply at ULM because there standards were lower. She has a 3.4 cummulative, and she volunteers once a week at a dentist office. Actually can some one help me, she is tired of driving to Crowley to volunteer, anyone have any Dental connects!

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: UL programs cited by the Board of Regents as "low-completer"

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ I am surprised by Geology being on the list. I recruited there this year and came away with a favorable impression. The Department head said they had more students now that at any time in the last 20 years. _
    It's not going anywhere soon. I saw a list similar to this a few years back and showed it to one of the prof's. He said that it happened every so often and he would type up a letter or something to show what the program was doing and that it wasn't a big deal. Since then, both undergraduate and graduate enrollment in the Geo Dept has risen drastically, and thus, so has graduations.

3. Default University of Louisiana's Nursing Department is one of the best.

The Louisiana Nurses Foundation and the Louisiana State Nurses Associations confirmed what a lot of people already know about the University of Louisiana's Nursing Department. It’s one of the best.

The department, in the College of Nursing and Allied Health Professions, received the Nursing School of the Year designation during a recent Nightingale Awards program. The awards are given annually.

The judging panel is drawn from out-of-state nurses associations including Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Nevada, and Delaware along with the American Nurses Association National Board of Directors.

“ To be selected by this expert national panel of our peers does indeed validate the quality of our program,” said Dr. Melinda Oberleitner, associate dean of the college.

It was the first time the school applied for the award. Its competition was LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans School of Nursing.

Judges reviewed student comments, pass rates on national exams, alumni support and innovations in teaching for the Nursing School of the Year Award.

The nursing department, which is one of the largest in the country, boasts a 97 percent pass rate for its undergraduate students taking the national licensure exam for the first time. It has maintained this high rate for more than 20 years.

Also, its graduate students in the Nurse Practitioner program post consistently high pass rates on their national exam.

The nursing department holds the distinction of being named a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by the National League of Nurses and UL is one of only two universities in the country to receive the NLN’s prestigious Center of Excellence designation for Creating Environments that Promote Ongoing Faculty Development.

The College is also the only one in Louisiana that has an adult care critical care simulation unit. It also operates a simulated neonatal, pediatric and labor delivery unit. Senior nursing students use sophisticated computerized simulators that can mimic real-world hospital situations in both laboratories.

UL Press Release
    Homes SO Clean

Ragin' Cajuns Re: University of Louisiana's Nursing Department is one of the best.

_
    "Its competition was LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans School of Nursing."

Now that's no competition. Come on now. Most of their 1st and 2nd year education is done at an inferior school.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: University of Louisiana's Nursing Department is one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ _
    "Its competition was LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans School of Nursing."

Now that's no competition. Come on now. Most of their 1st and 2nd year education is done at an inferior school. _
    Sheesh, I'll bet our state pumps alot of wasted money into that particular program....

Ragin' Cajuns Re: University of Louisiana's Nursing Department is one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Sheesh, I'll bet our state pumps alot of wasted money into that particular program.... _
    Yes sir. From what the Mrs. tells me, very near the bottom in nursing programs statewide.

7. Research Fall 2008 Academic Report Card

UL - Louisiana’s Ragin Cajuns saw an incredible 153 student-athletes register a 3.0 GPA or higher during the Fall 2008 semester, according to the academic summary report released Wednesday. That number represents almost 40 percent of all student-athletes.

Five teams – men’s cross country, golf, soccer, softball and women’s tennis – posted a team GPA of 3.0 or better.

Nine student-athletes turned in a perfect 4.0 GPA during the fall semester. The softball squad led the way with three of its members earning a 4.0 which included reigning Sun Belt Pitcher of the Year Ashley Brignac who picked up her third straight semester with a 4.0 GPA. Michael Desormeaux, the 2008 Sun Belt Conference Offensive Player of the Year, was one of two football players (Philip Nevels the other) to record a 4.0 GPA. Other student-athletes with a 4.0 GPA were Kelly Cormier (softball), Jacob Delahoussaye (cross country and men’s track), Milou Israel (women’s tennis), Kennedy Richards (soccer), Courtney Trahan (softball) and Stephanie Weston (soccer).

An additional 43 student-athletes earned a 3.50-3.99, while 100 others logged a 3.0-3.49.

The Cajuns’ 393 student-athletes earned a combined GPA of 2.748 for the Fall 2008 semester. That average was higher than the University’s undergraduate average of 2.6928. The female student-athletes bested the undergraduate female population with a 2.936 GPA compared to 2.8052.

Ragin’ Cajuns student-athletes GPA was slightly higher than that of UL’s Greek organizations’ 2.747.

“Our student-athletes continue to excel in the classroom and that’s a credit to them and their coaches,” said senior associate athletics director Scott Farmer. “It’s all about them. They make academics a priority and the success happens because of their high level of commitment.

“We would also like to recognize the staff of the Student-Athlete Academic Center for the invaluable assistance they provide to assure that our student-athletes stay on track and have the assistance needed to meet their academic goals.”

Once again, the soccer team secured the best overall team GPA with a 3.32 mark. It was the program’s 12th straight semester with a team GPA greater than 3.0. Women’s tennis was a close second with a 3.30 team GPA.

The golf team captured high honors for men’s programs for the third straight semester with a 3.12 GPA.

A total of 82 male student-athletes registered a 3.0 or greater. A total of 71 of the 139 female student-athletes earned a 3.0 or better, a total which represents 51 percent of all female student-athletes.

Baseball had a total of 14 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Men’s Basketball had a total of 2 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Women’s Basketball had a total of 6 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Men’s Cross Country had a total of 8 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better
    Jacob Delahoussaye, 4.0

Women’s Cross Country had a total of 4 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Football had a total of 27 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better
    Michael Desormeaux, Philip Nevels, 4.0

Golf had a total of 8 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Soccer had a total of 19 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better
    Kennedy Richards, Stephanie Weston, 4.0

Softball had a total of 12 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better
    Ashley Brignac, Kelly Cormier, Courtney Trahan, 4.0

Men’s Tennis had a total of 6 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Women’s Tennis had a total of 6 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better
    Milou Israel, 4.0

Men’s Track had a total of 17 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better
    Jacob Delahoussaye, 4.0

Women’s Track had a total of 15 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

Volleyball had a total of 9 S-A’s post a 3.0 or better

RaginCajuns.com

Homes SO Clean

8. Default Trying to shut down academic program at UL

I just got this email from a professor at of Philosophy at UL who is asking every one to write to sally clausen for help:

Hello everybody. As you may have heard, the Board of Regents is
    considering terminating the Philosophy Program at UL Lafayette. A
    portion of their rationale is that "Philosophy as an essential
    undergraduate program has lost some credence among students." We disagree.
    Please support us by e-mailing the head of the Board of Regents, at

> sclausen@uls.state.la.us

, explaining why you believe that Philosophy, in particular the BA in
    Philosophy, is important to you and UL Lafayette. PLease do so by 4:00
    Tuesday (tomorrow) as they will meet Wednesday to decide our fate.
    Thank you for your support.

Best,

Keith Korcz

Default Re: Trying to shut down academic program at UL

What is the graduation rate is for students with a BA in Philosophy? I wonder what the trend has been over the last 10 years...It's too bad that people may lose their jobs, but can see why this program may go...As we all know, economics are tough at the moment...

I'm pretty sure I saw this like 4 or 5 years ago when I was in school. I thought it was some random rumor, but who knows.

11. Default Re: Trying to shut down academic program at UL

As a scientist, I am probably about as far away from a philosopher as you can be; however, I believe that philosophy plays a vital role in the university environment. The thought processes and logical thinking skills developed in a philosophy class really add to the overall value of your education. I think it would be a terrible mistake to lose such a program, and a real testament to the lack of commitment to education this state suffers from. Philosophy seems like one of those cornerstone programs for a university: the difference between a technical or community college, and a university. The fact that some programs may be cut isn't even the main problem, its the fact that they are making their budget cuts in education that is the real problem. Education propagates success propagates wealth.

12. Default Philosophy program may be in jeopardy

The fate of UL's undergraduate philosophy program will be determined today at a Louisiana Board of Regents Academic and Student Affairs Committee.

The Board of Regents is recommending that UL eliminate its bachelor of arts in philosophy degree. The program is one of eight "low-completer" programs at UL, but the only one recommended for discontinuation.

That recommendation has fueled opposition at UL, with students writing letters to the Board of Regents and creating a Facebook.com group "Save the UL Philosophy Program."

The rest of the story

Tina Marie Macias • tmacias@theadvertiser.com • April 22, 2009

Homes SO Clean

I found this interesting...
    "The Board of Regents reviews all higher education programs every five years to identify low completers. An undergraduate program is considered a low completer if it has an average of eight or fewer graduates a year or less than 40 graduates within five years.

The philosophy program had an average of 3.7 completers in the last five years. The program had seven completers in 2006-07, but no completers in 2007-08."

I remember the Microbiology program having similar numbers. I don't believe that the reasons listed above are the only reasons. As usual, money, the research money brought in through research grants must have some impact.

UL "Low-completer" programs

B.S. in Athletic Training...needed for athletes?
    M.A. in French...probably will never be removed
    Ph.D. in Cognitive Science...tied to the New Iberia Research Center
    B.S. in Geology...oil connection?
    M.S. in Physics...no idea...
    B.S. in Dental Hygiene...limited by the number of chairs available for students...
    B.S.B.A. in Professional Land Management...oil connection?
    B.A. in Philosophy...no idea...

Anyway, I'm just brain storming with no connection what so ever to this situation...

14. Default UL Holds Academic Signing Day

UL - The fanfare generated over athletes committing their names to university team rosters is what the University of Louisiana at Lafayette hopes to accomplish with its new academic signing events.

On Wednesday, 42 high school seniors at St. Thomas More High School became among the first to publicly commit to attending ULL in the fall.

The ceremony was the first of many planned by the university to recognize student scholars who have selected the university.

“It’s time for us to recognize those that are achieving academically,” said DeWayne Bowie, UL’s vice president of enrollment management. “We’re proud and excited about the contributions you will make.”

The rest of the story

By MARSHA SILLS
    Advocate Acadiana bureau

Default Outstanding Graduates for Spring 2009

Any alum would be proud of our Outstanding Graduates for Spring 2009. Each college selects one student as its O.G. A committee of the AA gets the really difficult job of picking one as the University's O.G. I have had a number of fairly difficult jobs working on committees over the last 40 years, but this one may have been the toughest. Looking at these "about to be" graduates' CVs and listening to them answer challenging questions was most satisfying. These young folks are going to make us proud and will do well in whatever fields they choose.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information