Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Enrollment

1. Default House approves tuition increase bill

BATON ROUGE - If the Senate agrees, tuition at almost every college and university in Louisiana would go up next semester.

Legislation allowing colleges and universities to increase tuition cleared the House Monday with an 83-17 vote a week after it failed by two votes. Because the bill raises fees, a two-thirds vote is needed - 70 in the House and 26 in the Senate.

House Bill 734 by state Rep. Don Trahan, R-Lafayette, would allow campuses to increase tuition 3 percent to 5 percent in each of the next four years, depending on how far the schools are from the average of similar institutions in the Southern Regional Education Board area. The SREB runs from Louisiana across the South up the east coast to Delaware.

The rest of the story

Mike Hasten • mhasten@gannett.com • June 10, 2008

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Tuition Increase Approved by House

Louisiana is the only state that requires such stringent approval for tuition changes.

Wow. Can a university go to the bathroom without notifying BR? Honestly the country is laughing at Louisiana everytime this is brought up. We want a name change, not without approval. We want a new student fee, not without approval. We need more money to buy a jock strap or two, not without approval. This is a shame we have to ask the mighty purple kingdom to bend down and tie our shoe.

Default UL $6M Richer

The tuition bill passed the Legislature... UL's increase will mean an additional $6M per year.

And we can increase our tuition 5%/year, without going back to the Leg.

The Senate also removed Jindal's cuts to higher ed.

Finally, both Houses recognized the Women. And they called us "UL". And they mentioned that we beat buttocks on the Tiagras.

And some of the Legislators did not stand up when the ladies were recognized. Apparently, that's typical; some Legislators did not stand when LSBR was recognized. It's school partisanship.

"A whole lotta 'not caring' going on around here... "

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL $6M Richer

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    The tuition bill passed the Legislature... UL's increase will mean an additional $6M per year.

Finally, both Houses recognized the Women. And they called us "UL". And they mentioned that we beat buttocks on the Tiagras.

And some of the Legislators did not stand up when the ladies were recognized. Apparently, that's typical; some Legislators did not stand when LSBR was recognized. It's school partisanship.

"A whole lotta 'not caring' going on around here... "
    Awesome! You have to pay for a top notch education.

Z

5. This is Upsetting Re: UL $6M Richer

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Awesome! You have to pay for a top notch education.

Z
    And its going to come out of the pockets of people like me. Who can't get scholarships or grants, and have to pay their way through school by themselves. Grrrrrrrrr.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    And its going to come out of the pockets of people like me. Who can't get scholarships or grants, and have to pay their way through school by themselves. Grrrrrrrrr.
    Although I never finished my degree at UL, I had to do the same thing. TOPS wasn't available when you got out of highschool?

Z

_
    Who is "they"?

UL Softball Re: UL $6M Richer

_ The tuition bill passed the Legislature... UL's increase will mean an additional $6M per year.

"A whole lotta 'not caring' going on around here... " _
    Good to see the tuition increase finally made it through. This will really help the university increase salaries and stay competitive. This will also help in the area of facility maintenance.

And yes, I do have one at UL and it will affect his pocketbook.

It's something I worry about, too.

But UL has the lowest tuition-- by a lot-- of any Doc II. We're even significantly lower than La Tech & UNO, even though we made Doc II long before either of them.

Beyond that, see the post I made in the Tailgating thread. If you students want to get together and change that, you can. And there are ways to can change it, and STILL get more money for UL.

This is to everyone, not just the students: If you've got time to cruise and post on this Board, you've got time to get involved, and help make UL better...

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: UL $6M Richer

Watch out for LSU@BR as they had a side bill to allow only them to increase their tuition by $500/semester/student!!!!!!! This bill a few weeks ago was put on hold. Never the less, they are still up to the same old crap.

Keep an EYE on the Tigger!!!

I'm for the increase. I paid my way through UL and I'm glad I finished before this happened, however it's a good thing. My friends all complain with "why? why do you want to raise the price? thats stupid, who cares if we are the cheapest school in the state. thats a good thing." but they are the same people who say "typical UL, always half-assing everything"

well there you go! kinda need money to build a good program

_ And its going to come out of the pockets of people like me. Who can't get scholarships or grants, and have to pay their way through school by themselves. Grrrrrrrrr. _
    Anyone can get a Stafford LOAN that you pay back after graduation if that helps.

_ And its going to come out of the pockets of people like me. Who can't get scholarships or grants, and have to pay their way through school by themselves. Grrrrrrrrr. _
    Seriously dude get a grip...hell I can get you free tuition, $20,000 in a lump sum bonus, and around $1000 per month each semester that you are in school if you want to complain....I can even throw in a world tour in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ Seriously dude get a grip...hell I can get you free tuition, $20,000 in a lump sum bonus, and around $1000 per month each semester that you are in school if you want to complain....I can even throw in a world tour in 2010. _
    LOL! I see where your next duty assignment should be. Don't forget to mention the free haircuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ LOL! I see where your next duty assignment should be. Don't forget to mention the free haircuts. _
    No more free hair cuts...we have to supplement that bonus some how. lol.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information