Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2008-09 Tuition

Default Re: Tuition increases, see where we rank

When I started in fall '99, it was $1000, by the time I was done 5.5 years later, it was all the way up to $1600

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    Why the low level for UL? How do you increase it to the LA Tech level and why aren't we there now? How does LA Tech do it? Aren't we all governed by the same UL Board? I hope this is a major priority for Dr. S.
    Read the article and it explains in pretty good detail how the amounts were calculated.

3. Default Re: Tuition increases, see where we rank

Quote Originally Posted by locoguano View Post
    _ Don't see how they can actually charge people to go to SUNO. _
    My daughter played bball at Loyola and we played at their place every year---What a total waste--I never thought it would crank up post Katrina ---BUT-- well everybody knows why!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    I must be getting old, I think tuition was $400 a semester when I was at UL
    Dude, you ARE old if you paid that low tuition rate! Of course, the rate was much lower than that when I attended!

5. Support THE COST OF HIGHER EDUCATION

If the Legislature approves a plan that would allow management boards to raise university tuition, UL students may see an extra $173 tacked onto their tuition each year.

The bill was approved last week by the House education committee, and given that many universities, including Lafayette's three public higher education institutions had no tuition increases in the past three years, it's likely that the measure will be accepted before the end of the session.

Institutions point to low tuition - the lowest among other institutions within the Southern Regional Education Board - coupled with sporadic state support as the reason for the change.

Many students on campus weren't aware of the proposed increase, which some say will pinch their finances. While paying an extra about $85 a semester may equate to two or three tanks of gas, for those students without financial aid or parents pitching in, the added expense is a financial strain.

"Eighty dollars? That's a book," said Lauren Richard, a UL sophomore majoring in education. "That's a used book, really."

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills
    msills@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

6. This is Upsetting Re: THE COST OF HIGHER EDUCATION

Booo. The state screwed me out of TOPS, now they're going to screw me out of a book! Thanks LA!

7. Default Re: THE COST OF HIGHER EDUCATION

The article makes some good points.How are we supposed to adequately fund our University when the tuition is below that of UNO and La Tech? The fact is, it's dirt cheap to get a degree at UL when you compare our tuition with comparable universities across the country.

Default Re: THE COST OF HIGHER EDUCATION

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie29 View Post
    How are we supposed to adequately fund our University when the tuition is below that of UNO and La Tech?
    If ours really is lower than UNEAUX and U of LaTex, it makes no sense whatsoever.

9. Default Re: Louisiana Tuition increases

I am happy that we give our students as good an education or better for less money. It just proves that we do a better job than the other schools. Say what you want about Authement, but you have to admit that we are better managed. If our legislature was inclined to support our success for less, then we could continue to grow by being subsidised for our frugleness. I would love to see our tuition go down while the others go up. If I were a richer man, I definitely fund student scholarships.
    My only question is, "Do all schools get the same amount per student for TOPS"?

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Louisiana Tuition increases

Quote Originally Posted by imperial cajun View Post
    I am happy that we give our students as good an education or better for less money. It just proves that we do a better job than the other schools. Say what you want about Authement, but you have to admit that we are better managed. If our legislature was inclined to support our success for less, then we could continue to grow by being subsidised for our frugleness. I would love to see our tuition go down while the others go up. If I were a richer man, I definitely fund student scholarships.
    My only question is, "Do all schools get the same amount per student for TOPS"?
    I call bull_____ on that.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ Aren't we back over 17,000? (Which, next Fall, will include my lovely God-daughter!!) _

Mine is starting next fall also. Of course lots of God-daughters are starting at UL next fall, for that matter, but none as lovely as ours I'm sure.

12. Support Proposal to increase tuition falls short

BATON ROUGE - Questions about how the state would pay for increased costs in the TOPS scholarship program and how students who don't have the scholarships could afford it temporarily put the brakes on a move to increase college and university tuition.

The proposal to grant colleges and universities authority to hike tuition every year until 2012 fell two votes short of passing but state Rep. Don Trahan, R-Lafayette, said he will try again. Trahan said his House Bill 734 would impose only a "modest increase" and "a catch-up to inflation."

Colleges and universities could impose 3, 4 or 5 percent increases, depending on how institutions compare with their peers across the South. Most would be allowed to impose 5 percent increases in each of the next four years because tuition at Louisiana higher education institutions is generally lower than at other states' schools.

The rest of the story

Mike Hasten • mhasten@gannett.com • June 3, 2008

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Proposal to increase tuition falls short

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    "State Rep. Hollis Downs, R-Ruston, who favors the increase, told the House "It does take dollars to keep the doors open." He criticized the "antiquated system" that requires campuses to come to the Legislature to ask for permission to raise tuition and then it takes a two-thirds vote to approve it."_ _
    At least Mr. Downs "gets it".

14. Support Tuition Increase Approved by House

A second try at statewide, college tuition increases breezed through the House on Monday, one week after the legislation narrowly stalled in the same spot.

House Bill 734 would increase college tuitions up to 5 percent each of the next four years.

The bill was approved in an 83-18 vote, with two-thirds support required for tuition and fee increases. The bill had 68 votes last week, two short of two-thirds necessary for approval.

Louisiana is the only state that requires such stringent approval for tuition changes.

The rest of the story

By JORDAN BLUM

Homes SO Clean

15. Default House approves tuition increase bill

BATON ROUGE - If the Senate agrees, tuition at almost every college and university in Louisiana would go up next semester.

Legislation allowing colleges and universities to increase tuition cleared the House Monday with an 83-17 vote a week after it failed by two votes. Because the bill raises fees, a two-thirds vote is needed - 70 in the House and 26 in the Senate.

House Bill 734 by state Rep. Don Trahan, R-Lafayette, would allow campuses to increase tuition 3 percent to 5 percent in each of the next four years, depending on how far the schools are from the average of similar institutions in the Southern Regional Education Board area. The SREB runs from Louisiana across the South up the east coast to Delaware.

The rest of the story

Mike Hasten • mhasten@gannett.com • June 10, 2008

Homes SO Clean

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information