Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No passing fancy: Air game is back for Ragin' Cajuns

1. UL Football No passing fancy: Air game is back for Ragin' Cajuns

In a moment somewhat foreign to UL football in recent years, quarterback Michael Desormeaux dropped back in the pocket, fired a pass downfield and hit receiver Jason Chery in stride.

Chery caught the ball and scored on the 60-yard pass midway through Saturday's spring game.

For the Cajuns - who rushed the ball 63 percent of the time the past two years - it was an example of what's to come in the fall.

On this day, UL's new-look offense translated into eye-catching results. After the defense was spotted a 17-point lead, the offense relied on a strong aerial attack to rally for a 21-17 win at Cajun Field, much to the delight of coach Rickey Bustle.

"It's something we've worked on a lot this spring," said Bustle, a former receiver at Clemson. "We wanted to make a change in our passing game and get the ball down the field."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: No passing fancy: Air game is back for Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    If we can do this this sort of thing successfully (and also hold onto the old pigskin in the process), we can and will run wild.

Im happy to see we are opening things up a little in the passing game. But I'll believe it when I see it. I love Desormeaux but last year his passing was terrible. He was under throwing, over throwing, or just not hitting the reciever. I'm interested to see what has changed. I hope that it is effective. But im still skeptical.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    Im happy to see we are opening things up a little in the passing game. But I'll believe it when I see it. I love Desormeaux but last year his passing was terrible. He was under throwing, over throwing, or just not hitting the reciever. I'm interested to see what has changed. I hope that it is effective. But im still skeptical.
    133-242 for a 55% completion avge?

109.1 efficiency rating?

1405 yds?

Is that terrible? Defense is what ate us up last year, not MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    133-242 for a 55% completion avge?

109.1 efficiency rating?

1405 yds?

Is that terrible? Defense is what ate us up last year, not MD.

True, but the burden is likely to fall on Dez & Co again. We need his receivers catching balls and holding onto to them for positive yardage. Especially when they are within sniffing distance of the end zone.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    True, but the burden is likely to fall on Dez & Co again. We need his receivers catching balls and holding onto to them for positive yardage. Especially when they are within sniffing distance of the end zone.
    AAaahhhh, now I get it.

Z

Default i just want to believe the headline.

that we will be more run for fun and throw to go in 2009 need to be able to pitch and catch to get some wins!

one of the things that had to be on everyone's "GOOD" list from yesterday (was on mine) was how both TD throws of michael's were right on the money

ps. who besides me noticed the opening song for halftime? (big grins) (another on my good list wink)

_ 133-242 for a 55% completion avge?

109.1 efficiency rating?

1405 yds?

Is that terrible? Defense is what ate us up last year, not MD. _
    Z, Apparently someone didn't pay attention last season. Good thing we have fans that are in the reality world and not stuck in Kevin Foote's world.

We missed you yesterday. I'm really impressed with the work G is doing with the D line. They were really going after the ball and putting pressure on our QBs.

When the old Delphi crew came into the stadium and sat I thought they were there for a police line up. One even had his Hawaiian shirt on. Thought I was in Hawai'i watching the Rainbow Warriors.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Z, Apparently someone didn't pay attention last season. Good thing we have fans that are in the reality world and not stuck in Kevin Foote's world.

We missed you yesterday. I'm really impressed with the work G is doing with the D line. They were really going after the ball and putting pressure on our QBs.

When the old Delphi crew came into the stadium and sat I thought they were there for a police line up. One even had his Hawaiian shirt on. Thought I was in Hawai'i watching the Rainbow Warriors.

BC
    I was there in spirit BC!! I really believe with G's enthusiasm and his knowledge the D-line will be vastly improved!!
    Who wore the Hawaiian shirt??? Was it a member of SSOOT?

Z

Default Re: i just want to believe the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by snote View Post
    that we will be more run for fun and throw to go in 2009 need to be able to pitch and catch to get some wins!

one of the things that had to be on everyone's "GOOD" list from yesterday (was on mine) was how both TD throws of michael's were right on the money

ps. who besides me noticed the opening song for halftime? (big grins) (another on my good list wink)
    Bill, will you have Coach Bustle on anytime soon in order to get his synopsis of how spring went. If that can't happen, how about a show with the coordinators on for a half hour each. As far as OC goes, I would take either Hudson or Munoz. Better yet, have Bustle on one day and the coordinators on another day.

Default before i get started

a quick note when typing in here i have used the adjectives red and white to signify 1st or 2nd string when it comes to the football team although in this post i will use the word white to signify the jersey color which both 1st and 2nd team defense wore this past saturday sorry for any confusion therefore,

G's enthusiasm
    was never more evident and matter of fact won the sportsnote's "best line of the day" award (smiling)

if you weren't there let me set this up for you on 4th down when the team punted ( i liked the 4th down TD pass to Lance as a better 4th down option myself tee-heematter of fact one of the "GOOD" things marked down were the number of 3rd down conversions early in the scrimmage)

sorry back to story well the offense would punt and wherever the ball was caught (fair catch only, no return) that would be where the ball would start for the next offensive series the longer the punt, the further the team had to travel to score with me here?

well in one instance the ball though kicked hard hit the ground quickly and started rolling and flipping hard, for what looked to be a long punt which would set the offense up maybe behind it's own 20 well as the ball is coming down and then proceeds the roll backwards one can hear gerald just screaming at the top of his lungs, " let it roll., let it roll., let it roll . " to which the young returner does not saving maybe 15 yards the offensive would have had to go to reach the point where the fellow stopped it

well all of a sudden you hear the bellowing statement, with surprise and a tad of disgust "Dude, why did you stop it, your wearing white?" (smiling)

aagghhh the joys of coaching couldn't get out of his blood, welcome back gerald

ps. yes mike i will do

_
    Who wore the Hawaiian shirt??? Was it a member of SSOOT?

Z _
    Yes, it was a member of the SSOOT. It's that retired dude who's doing the same work as you.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Yes, it was a member of the SSOOT. It's that retired dude who's doing the same work as you.
    Dang!! I didn't even know he owned a Hawaiian shirt??? LOL!!

Z

Default Re: before i get started

Quote Originally Posted by snote View Post
    a quick note when typing in here i have used the adjectives red and white to signify 1st or 2nd string when it comes to the football team although in this post i will use the word white to signify the jersey color which both 1st and 2nd team defense wore this past saturday sorry for any confusion therefore,

was never more evident and matter of fact won the sportsnote's "best line of the day" award (smiling)

if you weren't there let me set this up for you on 4th down when the team punted ( i liked the 4th down TD pass to Lance as a better 4th down option myself tee-heematter of fact one of the "GOOD" things marked down were the number of 3rd down conversions early in the scrimmage)

sorry back to story well the offense would punt and wherever the ball was caught (fair catch only, no return) that would be where the ball would start for the next offensive series the longer the punt, the further the team had to travel to score with me here?

well in one instance the ball though kicked hard hit the ground quickly and started rolling and flipping hard, for what looked to be a long punt which would set the offense up maybe behind it's own 20 well as the ball is coming down and then proceeds the roll backwards one can hear gerald just screaming at the top of his lungs, " let it roll., let it roll., let it roll . " to which the young returner does not saving maybe 15 yards the offensive would have had to go to reach the point where the fellow stopped it

well all of a sudden you hear the bellowing statement, with surprise and a tad of disgust "Dude, why did you stop it, your wearing white?" (smiling)

aagghhh the joys of coaching couldn't get out of his blood, welcome back gerald

ps. yes mike i will do

LOL!! I can picture it.I can definitely hear it!!

Thanks, Bil

Z

_ 133-242 for a 55% completion avge?

109.1 efficiency rating?

1405 yds?

Is that terrible? Defense is what ate us up last year, not MD. _

I agree completely. His receivers dropped countless balls last year and they never allowed him to stretch the field so everything he threw was quick and contested. I think MD is a better passer than the coaches' have allowed for due to Bustle's conservative nature in playcalling.

I think if you blame anybody, its the D and the receivers. They were terrible last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information