Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MBB: Louisiana (70) vs Jackson State (73)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    That was probably a little over the top, but I am tired of watching these athletes not being able to perform the fundamentals of the game. I was not blessed with an athletic build so I had to be flawless in the fundamentals of the game to even make the team. It kills me that athletes with the God given gifts don't stress the fundamentals because they were always better than everyone. The Houston game was a perfect example. Free throws down the stretch would have kept us out of overtime. Or it never fails that your all-conference baseball player gets up with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and can't get the bunt down to move the go ahead run to 3rd with 1 out. It is overlooked because he hits .400. Fundamentals are something that ANYONE can improve on.

With the end of the football season, you would think that we would learn not to rationalize shortcomings of our teams. His shooting is a big problem and something that needs to be addressed or we will be watching everyone else come March.
    You busted your azz to make LJ Alleman's team and he busted his azz to make Team USA. I trust his practice routine

Default Re: Louisiana (70) vs Jackson State (73)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    That was probably a little over the top, but I am tired of watching these athletes not being able to perform the fundamentals of the game. I was not blessed with an athletic build so I had to be flawless in the fundamentals of the game to even make the team. It kills me that athletes with the God given gifts don't stress the fundamentals because they were always better than everyone. The Houston game was a perfect example. Free throws down the stretch would have kept us out of overtime. Or it never fails that your all-conference baseball player gets up with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and can't get the bunt down to move the go ahead run to 3rd with 1 out. It is overlooked because he hits .400. Fundamentals are something that ANYONE can improve on.

With the end of the football season, you would think that we would learn not to rationalize shortcomings of our teams. His shooting is a big problem and something that needs to be addressed or we will be watching everyone else come March.
    If I am coaching a .400 hitter who bunts with two runners on and no outs, I am going to kick his azz when he gets back to the dougout unless that bunt goes for a base hit.

Baseball philosophy aside, I agree that every hoops player who desires to be complete must be able to shoot free throws well. This is especially true for slashing penetration players like Elfrid, as that kind of player will get to the line often. He does work very hard on this; he seems to have a mental issue or confidence issue with free throws that he has to overcome in order to be a good free throw shooter.

I got chastised by the Bird for making a comment about winning and losing starts at the FT line.My comment was, team shoots 72% and you win most of the time."stats don't prove that" was the returnright, look at the stats on close games and say I'm wrong.get in the gym and shoot till your arms fall off.and then do it again.

I can't believe criticizing this kid is even taking place. The dude has improved his play every single year he has been here and done nothing but be a good ambassador for our school while in the spotlight.

Can he improve his shooting? Absolutely. But every year his % had gone up and with his hard work, that probably won't change. This kid could have played on any of our teams over the last 25 years and would probably be even better being he would have had a better supporting cast. Enjoy watching him while he is still here!

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I can't believe criticizing this kid is even taking place. The dude has improved his play every single year he has been here and done nothing but be a good ambassador for our school while in the spotlight.

Can he improve his shooting? Absolutely. But every year his % had gone up and with his hard work, that probably won't change. This kid could have played on any of our teams over the last 25 years and would probably be even better being he would have had a better supporting cast. Enjoy watching him while he is still here!
    No sheet huh?! We could have fugging Michael Jordan on our team and people on here would complain that they don't like the smell of his cologne. I mean jesus people this is the best basketball player/team we've had in a decade. Quit with the nit-picking. So we lost to JSU. seriously it's not that big of a deal 1 loss after a 7-3 start does not mean the difference in our season. We are in great posiiton still, going into conference play. Let's enjoy this start and see what these guys can do as the season progresses. I think we top 20 wins this year and go dancing.

GEAUX CAJUNS!!! Enough with the negativity. we got a bowl game this weekend!

fall in line.

no one is criticizing what type of person or player EP is. they are criticizing his free throw shooting ability, which in all honesty needs to be criticized. there is no reason, as gifted and talented as he is that he should ever go 8-16 (add in a couple of missed front ends of 1-1) from the line. they are called "free" for a reason.

i was always taught to question things you dont understand so you can understand them better. too many people here have the adage to not question or criticize what goes on at UL whether fb's defense is terrible and we are squeaking by a terrible GSU team, or EP is missing 8 free throws out of 16 in a three point loss. I can only imagine if we had pulled that game out. "hey, we won, dont question or change anything, 50% is what works so stick with it"

Duggie, I am already on record as saying that EP is the best point guard ever to play for us, including Michael Allen. That doesn't make him immune to criticism when a weakness in his game affects the outcome of a game. I know he has improved tremendously every year, and I am certain he will continue to do so. He is a very hard working player, both in games and in practice. I am absolutely positive that no one here is half as upset with his free throw performance last night as he is. He is probably in the gym right now practicing shooting free throws.

EP is a very special player, and you are correct that we should all enjoy his all too brief time with us here at UL.

He is one of 'our kids', so all us internet parents are just giving him constructive criticism. No one is dogging him; or at least I am not. I am very proud of him and very grateful for everything he has done for UL.

Quote Originally Posted by dms4720 View Post
    fall in line.

no one is criticizing what type of person or player EP is. they are criticizing his free throw shooting ability, which in all honesty needs to be criticized. there is no reason, as gifted and talented as he is that he should ever go 8-16 (add in a couple of missed front ends of 1-1) from the line. they are called "free" for a reason.

i was always taught to question things you dont understand so you can understand them better. too many people here have the adage to not question or criticize what goes on at UL whether fb's defense is terrible and we are squeaking by a terrible GSU team, or EP is missing 8 free throws out of 16 in a three point loss. I can only imagine if we had pulled that game out. "hey, we won, dont question or change anything, 50% is what works so stick with it"
    The difference bw Elfrid and the fball teams defense is that Elfrids % has increased over time, not decreased like the fball defense, which means he is working on it and making changes.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Duggie, I am already on record as saying that EP is the best point guard ever to play for us, including Michael Allen. That doesn't make him immune to criticism when a weakness in his game affects the outcome of a game. I know he has improved tremendously every year, and I am certain he will continue to do so. He is a very hard working player, both in games and in practice. I am absolutely positive that no one here is half as upset with his free throw performance last night as he is. He is probably in the gym right now practicing shooting free throws.

EP is a very special player, and you are correct that we should all enjoy his all too brief time with us here at UL.

He is one of 'our kids', so all us internet parents are just giving him constructive criticism. No one is dogging him; or at least I am not. I am very proud of him and very grateful for everything he has done for UL.
    I agree V, but to mock him as the "star" is not constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    No sheet huh?! We could have fugging Michael Jordan on our team and people on here would complain that they don't like the smell of his cologne. I mean jesus people this is the best basketball player/team we've had in a decade. Quit with the nit-picking. So we lost to JSU. seriously it's not that big of a deal 1 loss after a 7-3 start does not mean the difference in our season. We are in great posiiton still, going into conference play. Let's enjoy this start and see what these guys can do as the season progresses. I think we top 20 wins this year and go dancing.

GEAUX CAJUNS!!! Enough with the negativity. we got a bowl game this weekend!
    If MJ went 8/16 from the line and we lost to a 3-7 SWAC team, I would criticize him too. Am I happy with EP playing for the Cajuns? Yes. Do I think he is a great player? Yes. Does he need to work his ___ off to improve his free throw shooting. ABSOLUTELY. This loss to JSU dropped our RPI 25 spots over night and it will continue to fall as we play our conference slate. This was a huge loss. It's pretty much a given now that we have to win the conference tournament to get into the dance.

If I talked to EP today, I would shake his hand and tell him that he is a great player, but his FT shooting will bite him. I have the utmost respect for the young man. That still doesn't excuse the poor shooting which can be fixed with practice.

I agree V, but to mock him as the "star" is not constructive criticism.
    That was out of line and I apologize.

JSU will not hurt our RPI. They are a pretty good ball club with a decent RPI [120ish], better than Houston's RPI at this point. I agree that it is a disappointing loss, but certainly not the end of the world.

Our RPI will continue to drop by virtue of the remainder of our schedule. However, we need to now becomes big fans of Baylor, Arkansas, Louisiville, Jackson State, Coastal, Oakland, NW State, and *gulp* Tech.

NW State, Jackson State, Oakland, and Tech all have great chances to win their league.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Our RPI will continue to drop by virtue of the remainder of our schedule. However, we need to now becomes big fans of Baylor, Arkansas, Louisiville, Jackson State, Coastal, Oakland, NW State, and *gulp* Tech.

NW State, Jackson State, Oakland, and Tech all have great chances to win their league.
    +99

Would be +100, but we need ULM to beat Tech. lol

Has Payton reached 1000 points yet? Seems like he should have or be really close.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information