Thread: Coach Bass Retiring

1. UL Golf Coach Bass Retiring

Bass served UL golf program well

When UL's golf team plays in its own Louisiana Classics tournament today through Tuesday, it'll be in a host role for the final time under coach Bob Bass.

The 18-year Cajun mentor informed his team Saturday night that he will step down on June 30, less than a month shy of his 68th birthday, to spend more time with family and in an attempt to have an impact with junior golf in the state. He made the announcement at the team's annual Saturday night gathering prior to the Classics, one that draws many of the players' families.

"My two favorite things in the world are competitive golf and young people," Bass said. "I'm just retiring from the UL position. I'm still going to have a lot of interests in collegiate golf and in helping our junior programs become better."

If track record is any indication, those programs figure to get a big boost. Bass-coached UL teams have made nine of the school's 12 all-time NCAA Tournament appearances and can count four conference titles among 19 team tournament victories - two of those titles, including last spring's Sun Belt Conference crown, in the last 10 months.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Coach Bass Retiring

Coach Bass is a great man and has been a loyal coach/ mentor to many Ragin Cajun athletes. He will be missed greatly!

Thread Information