Thread: Lady Cajuns Player's Blog: Courtney Trahan 2008-02-24

1. UL Softball Lady Cajuns Player's Blog: Courtney Trahan 2008-02-24

Today's insight into the lives of the Lady Cajuns is a little different than normal. I am going to let you readers in on a little team inspiration if you will. We, as softball fans, are all familiar with the infamous "perfect game" in which a pitcher keeps anyone on the opposing team from getting on base, whether it is from a walk or a hit. This is indeed a very exciting moment for a team, but the Lady Cajuns try for a different type of goal each game. We are constantly on the hunt for something we call a "complete game."

The Cajuns have a top-ten list, you see, of all of the things that can happen in a softball game that really pump us up. When we complete all ten things, we call that a "complete game." It is the ultimate pump-up that we can accomplish. This, though it may seem easy, is a very rare task to complete. It has only been done once as my time here as a Lady Cajun (and though I am just a sophomore, that is still a lot of games to have been played.and I invented the list so we cannot judge previous games.those are the rules). Now I'm sure you are all dying to hear what these top ten accomplishments are. So I will give you a peak inside our team and let you know.

1. Strike-outs - when our pitcher strikes out a batter.preferably on a change-up but we are not picky.

2. Home-runs - We love when our team hits bombs. There is no comparison to the feeling you get when you see the ball fly off the bat and know instantly.BOMB!

3. Slappers Get On - We absolutely love when our slappers get on. First of all, it is just an adrenaline rush because they always slap the ball in the gap or lay down a perfect drag to outrun the throw. But then when they get on.you just know they're gonna score cuz they run like the wind!

4. Double Plays - when our defense turns two.it is better when it's a ball hit to third, short, or second, in which the ball is flipped to second base and then to first.but again.we are not picky.

5. Diving Catches - when our defense lays out and makes a diving catch. This can be a catcher for a foul ball, an infielder for a hard grounder in the gap, or an outfielder airborne to keep the blooper from falling.ahhh.gives us chills.

6. Steals - when our base runners successfully steal.especially home

7. Throw-Outs - when our catchers throw runners out. This includes a runner trying to steal second as well as pick-offs.

8. Non-starters - when non-starters get a chance to go in the game. And when they are productive (i.e. make a play, get a hit) it's even better.

9. Scoring - when our pinch-runners score. Now let me explain why I specified "pinch runners" and not just any runners. You see, here is the deal with pinch runners. If you are put into the game to run for anyone, that is your only chance. Once the original player is reentered, you are dead. You are no longer eligible for play (I know, it sounds terrible but it's true. Trust me on this one. I learned the hard way). So when our pinch-runners score, it is that much greater because we know they only get that one chance a game. It is their one shot to impact the game and their one goal in life (at least their softball life). And let me tell you.there is nothing greater than having the bottom of your cleat touch home plate.

10. The tenth accomplishment is reserved for things that cannot be predicted that really pump us up. These are things that do not really happen very often, but when they do, are the things that make your heart beat out of your chest. They make you wanna jump over the brick wall, out of the dugout, and onto the field screaming.it's that intense. These are things like Karli Hubbard's catch in center field to save a potential triple in our recent game against Southern Miss. She caught the ball as she ran hard into the fence. She fell to the ground and there has been speculation that she has a mild concussion.but she caught that ball. That's a Lady Cajun. Another recent play that fits into the number 10 category also happened during the Southern Miss game. Holly Tankersley threw out a girl at first base from right field with her bionic arm. The batter hit a shot between our first and second basemen, and Holly charged the ball, scooped it up, and lasered it to Gabby Bridges for the out. That's just something you cannot predict, which is why we reserved a special place on our top ten list.

Thanks to all the fans for coming out this weekend and supporting our team. We all appreciate it more than you will ever know. Keep coming around and you're sure to witness some exciting games. We love you all and are very proud to be Ragin' Cajuns and to have such wonderful and supportive fans.

RaginCajuns.com

Courtney Trahan

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Player's Blog: Courtney Trahan 2008-02-24

Thank you for the terminology. Admittedly it seems self explanatory now but I was struggling with the term slappers.

Thread Information