Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marlin happy to be playing Bulldogs again

1. UL Basketball Marlin happy to be playing Bulldogs again

When the UL basketball team plays Louisiana Tech tonight, it will do so for the first time since November of 2008.

Ragin’ Cajuns coach Bob Marlin said he’s tried to schedule the Bulldogs each season he’s been at UL since 2010, but this is the first year the Cajuns could get a deal done.

“We’ve called them every year,” he said, “and they finally agreed to play.”

Default Re: Marlin happy to be playing Bulldogs again

Too bad the reporter didn't delve more into why it's been so difficult to schedule. But then I guess that's what "separates" journalists from hacks.

Please tell us why?

4. Default Re: Marlin happy to be playing Bulldogs again

Were they boycotting UL for Robert Lee then Marlin hiring their assistants?

just beat the crap out of them. losersTech

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    Please tell us why?
    Dooley and the tech admin's "separation" strategy was responsible.

What was/is Tech trying to separate from exactly? Aren't y'all the ones that want to "separate" from ULM & the SBC?

8. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Marlin happy to be playing Bulldogs again

Hey it is LTU & it's fans that first used the term separation. pretty sure it was meant to leave behind, creating separation, and not in distance but in quality.

Ok , well I guess I'm too young for that. Are we talking about when Tech joined D1 in '88? That's a long time ago

10. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Marlin happy to be playing Bulldogs again

No when they opted out of the SBC and joined the WAC, I believe 2000.

No hard feelings man. IMO UL and La Tech are the only real rivals in this state. We have played each other more than any other school until they departed for the WAC. Things may have changed since then.

Tech was "Indy" for awhile before joining Wacky WAC but definitely agree w / you there. At least we'll be renewing the rivalry starting 2nite & football next couple of years! Hey, y'all should feel pretty damn confident going into the '14 game, especially w/ Broadwayunless big changes happen on our side, Cajuns gonna whoop some Tech ___.

It was just a few years ago when Dooley was HC. He refused to schedule SunBelt teams because he said Tech was vastly superior and had separated itself. Since Tech refused to schedule us in football we decided to accommodate Tech and spare them the indignity of having to play us in any sport.

Hammer is right in why we did not play basketball against Tech over the last few years. However, as soon as the football contract was signed, we thought the series would be renewed immediately in basketball as that was our requirement. We were surprised Coach White did not want to play. I agree with Coach Marlin in that he waited until he was confident he had a superior team to schedule the game and wanted to insure he had the first game at home. He likely does have a superior team and I am OK with the first game of the series being in Ruston as the last time we played the game was in Lafayette. It will take the best effort of the season to win the game as Tech is picked to win CUSA by many, including Sports Illustrated. Key may be that Long and Payton stay out of foul trouble. They were in the last game but the bench played well. That is less likely to happen in a road game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Hammer is right in why we did not play basketball against Tech over the last few years. However, as soon as the football contract was signed, we thought the series would be renewed immediately in basketball as that was our requirement. We were surprised Coach White did not want to play. I agree with Coach Marlin in that he waited until he was confident he had a superior team to schedule the game and wanted to insure he had the first game at home. He likely does have a superior team and I am OK with the first game of the series being in Ruston as the last time we played the game was in Lafayette. It will take the best effort of the season to win the game as Tech is picked to win CUSA by many, including Sports Illustrated. Key may be that Long and Payton stay out of foul trouble. They were in the last game but the bench played well. That is less likely to happen in a road game.
    Coach White didn't say he didn't want Tech playing ULL

Hey any Cajun fans at the game? Had a choice of getting to Monroe early or come to la tech to watch. I am here in section 201. Let me know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information