Poll: What would be better for the Cajuns LONG TERM ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would be better for the Cajuns LONG TERM

1. UL Basketball BASKETBALL: What would be better for the Cajuns LONG TERM

The SunBelt is perceived as a 1 team conference for March Madness. There is a huge onus for the SunBelt to get this perception off their back.

Perhaps I should have asked what would be better for the SubBelt Conference LONG TERM? However I will stick with "What would be better for the Cajuns LONG TERM," because if it is good for the Conference it will be good for the Cajuns.

Two scenarios:

• Louisiana wins out the regular season, and cruises though the SunBelt tournament-WIN IT-and get an automatic bid.
    • Louisiana wins out the regular season, and cruises though the SunBelt tournament-LOSE TITLE GAME-and get an at large bid. Sunbelt gets two teams in the big dance.

Under scenario one, SunBelt gets only one team in the big dance.

Under scenario two, SunBelt gets two teams in the big dance.

My question is, What would be better for the Cajuns LONG TERM?

2. Default

I don't know if it is best for the Cajuns it is best for the SunBelt too get more than one team playing on the ides of March.

Only because of long term

Ragin' Cajuns WIN OUT!!!

ALL THE WAY TO THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Actually, I think that, while I believe we still have a shot at an at-large bid, I believe that we could get a much better seeding and location if we run the table all the way through the Conference Tournament. Unfortunately, that would almost certainly mean that we'd be the only ones getting in.

UL Basketball

The reason the Sun Belt is a one team conference has very little to do with the past season. It has to do with this season every season. If we pull a few more major upsets then the whole conference RPI has a dramatic rise. No, no, no I can never see a way that losing is ever bettter than winning.

I think we need to win the Sun Belt tournament. We've got to get into the NCAA tournament. Hoping for an at large bid is too risky, IMHO. For the Cajuns, long term, it's better to get the sure bid for March Madness. No doubt in my mind.

For the Sun Belt, the second scenario may be better, but I am focused on the Cajuns right now. If we can evolve into a team that is bankable EVERY season, that would be the best for us and the conference. The way to do that is to BE SEEN in the tournament and use our repeated berths in the tourney as a recruiting tool.

Just my .02

Ragin' Cajuns EXCELLENT POST!!

Originally posted by CajunKate
    I think we need to win the Sun Belt tournament. We've got to get into the NCAA tournament. Hoping for an at large bid is too risky, IMHO. For the Cajuns, long term, it's better to get the sure bid for March Madness. No doubt in my mind.

For the Sun Belt, the second scenario may be better, but I am focused on the Cajuns right now. If we can evolve into a team that is bankable EVERY season, that would be the best for us and the conference. The way to do that is to BE SEEN in the tournament and use our repeated berths in the tourney as a recruiting tool.

Just my .02
    I'll throw in two cents for that one!!!

CajunKate's logic is almost impeccable, though being in a coference that gets two every year would reap the best long term rewards. CajunKate's logic is impeccable for this year.

We've got to win it all in a big way to get a decent seeding in the NCAA's. An at large bid will have us playing Kentucky or Duke. I don't mind playing teams like this.but not in the first round!!!

Originally posted by RedBug58
    We've got to win it all in a big way to get a decent seeding in the NCAA's. An at large bid will have us playing Kentucky or Duke. I don't mind playing teams like this.but not in the first round!!!
    Don' you think there is a stigma that is associated with an automatic bid? As far as I recall the NCAA ranks at large bids higher, and automatic bids lower. Don't mistake my meaning, I will take either entry to "Marchness"

UL Basketball

Originally posted by RedBug58
    I counted 17 conferences with the best teams having RPI that no matter what will be seeded lower than us. That means that we play nobody below a 4 seed. That is not going to be Duke, or Kentucky you can book that it will be a team currently ranked between 16 and 28 in the RPI. Go choose your poison. We could in fact get even better than 17 it could go to 21 teams with weaker RPI than us. There are about 4 or 5 teams that are within 3 points of us higher or lower.

Where we could get into trouble is if somebody with a slightly lower RPI gets bumped and then the question becomes who gets the better seed.

UL Basketball

CajunKate is one smart girl. Her logic, I also believe, is impeccable. One question. Where did she get that brain?

Probably came from Mom. HA! Love ya, Dad!

Louisiana

Truthfully, not worried about the Belt, because I do not believe our future is there. Looking for no more loses and a ticket to the Big Dance. Would like to drop Fresno State or other WAC team on the way, so that the members of the WAC might take notice of our programs. I believe we will be in the WAC.

To leave the Belt andd join the WAC is my wishfully thinking.

I totally agree with CajunKate's assessment and I'll add something to it. Not only do we need to be a team that is "bankable", as she puts it, to make the tournament every year, but, we need to do some damage while in the tournament. Just going 1 and out every year doesn't help our cause. If we're consistently getting in the tournament and winning while in the tournament, when we get those years where we might be considered a "bubble team", or we don't win the tournament if we're the favored, then I think that the committee might just give us the nod as an at-large since we would then have the history of playing well in the tournament. Look at some the teams that have had a so-so year, but yet get in, because they've had the history of playing well while in the tournament. I know a lot has to do with RPI, but sometimes they throw a team in that noone figured would get in, that leaves you scratching your head.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information