Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9

Thread: NOLABowl

Default Re: NOLABowl

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    This gonna be a year when someone stays home. Remember when we had to be that team? Not being one of those teams is awesome. I'm pleased as punch we got invited and accepted another NOLA Bowl bid.
    I know you often take the contrarian view, but you're dead on & I concur 100%. Too many "damn it, well maybe next year" seasons for me to be _____ing about going to a bowl.

This is how I look at it. It doesn't matter which bowl we go to, there are positives and negatives for any bowl game. NO Bowl positives: It's New Orleans which is one of the top bowl cities. It's on a primetime slot and day. I think the viewer ratings will be better than people think. It's close enough for our fans to travel to break the attendance record for a 3rd straight year, which looks good for other bowls to consider us for fan travel. No need to worry about the weather. I really think that this bowl is on it's way up. Gut feeling. Then, we can look back and say that this university and fan base helped lay the foundation for that to happen.

Negatives: Opponent. It's New Orleans again. You don't want to be in the same bowl year after year. You need different exposure. Players have stated this publicly that it would be nice to be exposed to other bowls. Doesn't have tie ins with better competition. That last statement could change if bowl continues to grow.

Indy positives: Different location. Different opponent which might have a perception of being higher on the ladder because of their conference affiliation. Still close enough for our fans to travel. Better payout, correct? Has better conference affiliations even though it might be lower placed teams from those conferences.

Negatives: It's Shreveport. Not a glamorous destination. Weather is a factor here. If it's like last year, fans stay home and we'll be seen as a fan base that doesn't travel well. Not good for perception. Personally, I think the Indy Bowl is on it's way down. Didn't they lose their sponsor or about to? In fact, haven't they had a problem with keeping sponsors? That's not good.

I'm sure that there are many more positives and negatives that any bowl can have that I've not touched upon. It's just up to the fans to make the best of it regardless of where they land. Remember, it's a reward for the hard work that these athletes have put in. We are there to show support and show them how much that hard work is appreciated, whether you are at the game or at home watching it on the tube with your colors shown proudly outside. So, let's lay off the personal shots and enjoy that we are just discussing multiple bowl options. If it's meant to be, it will happen. And one day, it will happen. Trust me. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The Independence Bowl can not send out invitations until after the SEC Championship game. So Hud nor Farmer turned down playing an ACC team for Tulane. The problem is the Indy can talk numbers, but can't assure UL of a slot at this time until it know for sure the SEC will get 2 BCS Bowls. Then they would fall short in filling the Indy Bowl slot. UL took the sure thing this year and I can't blame them. Now if the Cajuns can get close, or in the TOP 25 next season, Farmer may have to be more patient because most bowls will not send out invitations until after conference championship games.
    I was being sarcastic, I meant obviously an invitation from Indy wasn't on the table or we would have taken it.

Also middle sideline seating in NO versus corner sideline and end zone in Shreveport.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    They beat an ECU team with 7 starters on the sideline. Good, Bad or average, they were lucky to win that game.
    To add to this, I believe ECU missed 2 field goals - one of which allowed the game to go into overtime and the other which was in overtime. So, again Tulane was very lucky.

Plus.
    Vintavious Cooper had more rushing yards than Tulane's entire team &
    Justin Hardy had more receiving yards than Tulane's entire team

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9

Thread Information