Thread: ultoday.com . . . UL District

Default ultoday.com . . . UL District

Officially, we're launching a new eZine tomorrow AM, ultoday.com. But it's live now.

Several articles: one with VP Research Bob Stewart; one introducing the UL District; a short piece from the Cajun Archives introduced by our very own Turbine; and the usual articles from RaginCajuns.com.

Tuesday, we'll have an interview with Gerald Hebert about fundraising; we have quite a few interviews with faculty & administrators coming up, and we're looking for more.

The eZine will focus both on UL, and on the areas that surround the U (see the article on the UL District).

This is only the first generation. We will add graphics, events, and a lot more as we go. All articles are permanently archived so that administrators, faculty, coaches and the fundraising personnel can use this as a resource for recruiting faculty and students, and attracting donations.

We're hopeful that this will become, in part, a user-generated eZine. So if any of you wish to write an article or opinion piece about something regarding UL and the UL District, send it. If any of your are interested in doing series of articles, or even to become a regular contributor, contact me. If you are serious about it, we can even set up you with your own blog.

UL is great because of our alums, and the people in our community who support it. This is what we've all wanted for a long time, media that focuses on UL and on Lafayette. If you have an interest in writing and promoting UL, consider contributing.

Finally, we'll also be looking for advertisers in the near future, so that we can expand what we're doing. If you know someone in sales who would like to work with us, we're offering a small base and a generous commission. And if your business would like to advertise, please contact us.

www.CajunFun.com
    www.booksXYZ.com
    www.ultoday.com

Ragin' Cajuns Re: ultoday.com

Keeping the web design a bit SIMPLE, are we?? I definitely enjoyed reading the article about Dr. Stewart and the different research projects being undertaken at the University right now. Keep the good news coming!!!

Default Re: ultoday.com

How can the horse farm not be part of the UL District?

Quote Originally Posted by AboveAverage View Post
    How can the horse farm not be part of the UL District?
    I guess my response is, how could it BE part of the UL District?

It's 100 acres of land with 1 house on it, which may be empty. Not much cosmopolitan about that.

;-)

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Nice job, Doc.

Z

Thanks.

We will have new articles every day, M-F. but we had some computer problems yesterday. Gerald Hebert's interview will appear tomorrow.

I love this idea! I think it is a good way for the people of Lafayette to get to know the University. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ I guess my response is, how could it BE part of the UL District?

It's 100 acres of land with 1 house on it, which may be empty. Not much cosmopolitan about that.
    No but the Farm makes the district eclectic and it is where Cajun Bot spent many an hour.

9. Default Re: ultoday.com . . . UL District

People tend to think of Johnston Street as running north and south when it is actually running east-north-east through the UL District.

That is neither hear nor there, but I was thinking . . . (ouch) . . .

If the old Equine Center were ever to become an extended UL Campus or perhaps Student housing, or both. . .

It might seem silly that it wasn't initially included as part of the UL District especially considering UL has owned it since 1920.

If you note on the map the northern most part of the Equine Property is farther north than the southern tip of Legacy Apartments.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: ultoday.com . . . UL District

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    People tend to think of Johnston Street as running north and south when it is actually running east-north-east through the UL District.

That is neither hear nor there, but I was thinking . . . (ouch) . . .

If the old Equine Center were ever to become an extended UL Campus or perhaps Student housing, or both. . .

It might seem silly that it wasn't initially included as part of the UL District especially considering UL has owned it since 1920.

If you note on the map the northern most part of the Equine Property is farther north than the southern tip of Legacy Apartments.
    Yeah, and actually the gate at the "Northeast" corner of campus has always been the "North Gate", although no one seems to remember that (I wonder if it inspired the name of the Northgate Mall?)

We can always expand the district, but think about it. there's nothing happening on the Horse Farm, so there is no reason to go there. And the strip between the horse farm and current boundary contains very little except housing and the one strip mall on Johnston. and that strip mall contains almost nothing that students and faculty would visit more than rarely.

I don't know about you, but as someone who lives by the University, just the wait at the stoplight at Johnston and Bertand/S College has, on more than one occasion, made me choose stores or other services on this side of town, or even caused me to wait until I had several errands on that "side" of town before I headed over there.

I suspect that students and faculty feel the same way when they're on campus.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: ultoday.com . . . UL District

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Yeah, and actually the gate at the "Northeast" corner of campus has always been the "North Gate", although no one seems to remember that (I wonder if it inspired the name of the Northgate Mall?)

We can always expand the district, but think about it. there's nothing happening on the Horse Farm, so there is no reason to go there. And the strip between the horse farm and current boundary contains very little except housing and the one strip mall on Johnston. and that strip mall contains almost nothing that students and faculty would visit more than rarely.

I don't know about you, but as someone who lives by the University, just the wait at the stoplight at Johnston and Bertand/S College has, on more than one occasion, made me choose stores or other services on this side of town, or even caused me to wait until I had several errands on that "side" of town before I headed over there.

I suspect that students and faculty feel the same way when they're on campus. _
    Looking at those maps automatically makes me think about how the University could expand. And, looking at those maps makes me think about how the University can't expand, or maybe how it would be very expensive to expand. Do you know if anyone at UL has ever been tasked with coming up with some sort of cost analysis or plan or something, for simply acquiring nearby property, such as many of the homes?

Also, do you know/have you heard if Dr Savoie has commented on how he might want to tackle the land position?

Thread Information