Thread: Pepper logo rides on Ragin' Cajuns coattails

1. Default Pepper logo rides on Ragin' Cajuns coattails

Ever have one of your buddies ask you what your school’s mascot is? What do you tell them? The Garnet Tide? The Phoenix? Does anyone ever think about the potential implications of Swarthmore having these two monikers? Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of pride in being a Garnet, and defend its honor in front of nay-sayers like how classics majors would defend their choice.

As someone who pays keen attention to the mascots and names of other colleges and universities around the nation, I realize that our mascot and team name is not so bad. Dare I say that “Garnet Tide” is an understated yet classy name that shows the true attitude of our institution as well as its student-athletes? I mean it could be worse; judging by the names and mascots of some of the other schools out there, I would have a hard time battling someone upon the merits of being called the Molemen, or the Pansies (a real high school mascot). The following schools make my top five list for having the most badass mascots in all the land:

5. Wichita State Shockers – This mascot garnered my attention a few years back when I thought that it was a guy with a beehive on his head. Upon closer inspection I realized that it was just a hostile looking guy with wheat sticking out of his hair and mouth and sporting a throwback “WSU” sweater.

4. Southern Illinois Salukis – Admit it, this name is just fun to say, Salukis (Sa-Lu-Kees). A saluki looks like some kind of dog with floppy shaggy ears. Though Southern Illinois may not strike fear into the hearts of its opponents with their logos, if you don’t think that a name like the Salukis sounds badass then you just don’t know right from wrong my friend.

3. UC Santa Barbara Gauchos – Though I have never really heard of anything pertaining to the University of California at Santa Barbara besides the fact that their club lacrosse team is pretty decent, I pick this team as my third place finisher because of their logo. A pair of sinister looking eyes peering out from under a black ten-gallon hat, with the word “Gauchos” in front. I’m not even sure what a gaucho actually is but it sounds way to awesome not to acknowledge.

2. Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns – I loved this university for no other reason than their mascot and logo. A red chili pepper on fire, that is too cool. Besides I love to hear an announcer on TV say anything that involves the phrase “Ragin’ Cajuns.” I have such a special place in my heart for this team that I once picked them to go all the way in my final four bracket. I would have been better off burning the money for heat.

The rest of the story

BY KEVIN FRIEDENBERG

Default Re: Pepper logo rides on Ragin' Cajuns coattails

Big Cayenne - King of the land!!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Pepper logo rides on Ragin' Cajuns coattails

I do have to say that I am not a huge fan of the pepper but he would be much more acceptable if his attitude changed. When I say this I mean that I don't want to see our mascot ever sitting down. You think he/she would of got the hint when the chicken paid a visit a few weeks ago. The chicken was very rarely standing around. He was always doing something to entertain the crowd. Every timeout, at halftime, and while the game was going on he was doing something. Last home game it was very easy to find Cayenne. He was mostly sitting down with the cheerleaders. They need to choose a better person to be in the constume and it may grown on people.

We do, however, have the coolest name in the NCAA!!!!

Thread Information