Thread: DUMP the pepper

UL Football DUMP the pepper

We need to dump the pepper. I know it is a "tradition". The thing is scary looking and ridiculous. Unless we can get a payday from the Chili's resturant chain then I would rather see a bulldog, cajun man or I like the red bull gator.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: What is the UL mascot?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    We need to dump the pepper. I know it is a "tradition". The thing is scary looking and ridiculous. Unless we can get a payday from the Chili's resturant chain then I would rather see a bulldog, cajun man or I like the red bull gator.
    Its not a tradition. Everything about it sucks. It does nothing to help the university. We are Cajuns who like Cajun food. Teh pepper makes us look like we are TexMex or something. I bought a hat a couple years ago that was black with the pepper on the front. I showed it to my buddy right after i bought it and he asked me if i got a job at Chili's. There is nothing cajun about chili's. Lose it!

Default Re: What is the UL mascot?

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Its not a tradition. Everything about it sucks. It does nothing to help the university. We are Cajuns who like Cajun food. Teh pepper makes us look like we are TexMex or something. I bought a hat a couple years ago that was black with the pepper on the front. I showed it to my buddy right after i bought it and he asked me if i got a job at Chili's. There is nothing cajun about chili's. Lose it!
    You bring up something interesting. I know many people that do not have any connection to the university but I be darn if they don't like the pepper hat. Perhaps keep the pepper as a semi logo but find a new mascot. I really like the red gator.

Default Re: Our Mascot?

I think a live English Bulldog would be great.I know several schools do it but it's simple, recognizes our history as the Bulldogs and gives us an actual mascot that everyone can connect with. Just give her a name with -eaux at the end and bam you have a great mascot.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I think a live English Bulldog would be great.I know several schools do it but it's simple, recognizes our history as the Bulldogs and gives us an actual mascot that everyone can connect with. Just give her a name with -eaux at the end and bam you have a great mascot.
    Yea, an English Bulldog makes perfect sense for Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns?!! I believe we had two in the late 80's or early 90's, one was named Ragin and the other Cajuns and both died in short order. They don't live very long.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Yea, an English Bulldog makes perfect sense for Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns?!! I believe we had two in the late 80's or early 90's, one was named Ragin and the other Cajuns and both died in short order. They don't live very long.
    Obviously it has nothing to do with Ragin Cajuns but sort of an homage to our past mascot for 70 some odd yearsor we can continue to parade some giant Seamonster or Cajun caricature that the entire nation laughs at.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Obviously it has nothing to do with Ragin Cajuns but sort of an homage to our past mascot for 70 some odd yearsor we can continue to parade some giant Seamonster or Cajun caricature that the entire nation laughs at.
    LOL! Seamonsterthanks for giving me a chuckle on a dreary Monday. I know the Bulldog being our old nickname but if we go with a dog, IMHO the Catahoula is the better choice. Hey maybe we could get a Swamp Monster for our mascot? Where's that old creature from the Black Lagoon costume? That would scare the snot out of kids and adults alike!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL! Seamonsterthanks for giving me a chuckle on a dreary Monday. I know the Bulldog being our old nickname but if we go with a dog, IMHO the Catahoula is the better choice. Hey maybe we could get a Swamp Monster for our mascot? Where's that old creature from the Black Lagoon costume? That would scare the snot out of kids and adults alike!

The problem regarding our athletic moniker is that there is no easily accessible encapsulating mascot. Other schools have similar ethnic or demographic mascots, Notre Dame or West Virginia jump to mind, but they seem to have come up with agreeable mascots which visually and ideologically agreeable with their students and alumni.

We seem to struggle with this issue. The cartoonish, insulting and characterish image from the 70' and 80's is horrible, the pepper has made me want to choke since it came out, but the bulldog does not really encapsulate who we are either (although I do like the bulldog). It may be that we do not have or need a "mascot". The fleur de Lis really works as a symbol, but not a mascot. Is there anyway to to promote a cultural ethos or essence without a "mascot" type character? Hell, I don't know. Do we need a mascot? For what purpose are they used?

I can understand, say, FSU, fighting to keep their mascot, or even a school like ND, but we have never relied in a "mascot" as a cultural or institutional symbol. Also, for all of you PR wonks, clarity of message seems to be the important thing and doing away with pepper and large chinned, overalled gentlemen and stick with "Louisiana" and the the fleur de Lis.

Default Re: DUMP the pepper

The only thing we should retain the pepper for is to use as an apostrophe on Ragin'. We don't even need it for "Louisiana's" anymore as we dumped that "s" too. The red gator & catahoula are both good (prefer the reptile over the dog). But please, no human based mascot. It will breed 2x the negative reaction than positive.

Last edited by TravlnCajun; November 25th, 2013 at 07:21 pm. Reason: Beat the WarHoax, vive la Dynastie Sucer

Thread Information