Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Beausoleil Solar Home

1. Default Re: Ugliest buildings on campus

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    And we will never have computers that fit in our pockets with more technology than the first space ships.

P.S. I feed my family from a job in the O&G industry.
    How about I limit that to “within my lifetime”

I saw the debacle in Texas during the freeze and have done a lot of reading since then that has exposed all of the big lies about running our country with solar/windmill, etc. electricity. There is a whole lot more to figure out than storage.

2. Default Re: Ugliest buildings on campus

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    It will never be affordable or reliable.
    I think you are wrong, but I don't have a time frame or a budget target.

Default Re: Ugliest buildings on campus

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think you are wrong, but I don't have a time frame or a budget target.
    Look up Nano Diamond Batteries.we have a ways to go but alternatives to fossil fuels will move rather fast at this stage due to the insane amount of money being put into that market.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Look up Nano Diamond Batteries.we have a ways to go but alternatives to fossil fuels will move rather fast at this stage due to the insane amount of money being put into that market.
    Energy companies are being forced to diversify because of the ESG ratings fluff that has become all the rage in the markets.

Some are doing it because it’s always been a goal of their business model, but there’s others being forced due to World Economic Forum influence.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    I can understand your feelings but you should spend a little time with two of our Engr profs. Zappi and Chambers. Once battery storage is solved, economics work. Not tomorrow but not never. And I’m not selling my natural gas stocks either. Coal, not so much.
    What about battery disposal?

The wind doesn't always blow, and the sun doesn't always shine.

7. Default Re: Ugliest buildings on campus

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    The wind doesn't always blow, and the sun doesn't always shine.
    Great point.

Don't dispose of the batteries.

Exactly. Storage, manufacture and disposal are all parts of the research ongoing. Just as drilling and production had amazing research development so will energy storage. We overproduce energy for the athletic complex now during the summer. It is sold back to LUS. An alternative is to store that energy to use at night or for cloudy days. Same with wind.

Default Re: Beausoleil Solar Home

My brother has a boat load of solar panels on his home. He does very well as far as his energy costs. But as far as selling back to his provider, they jack him over with fees where he doesn't receive what you would think.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Exactly. Storage, manufacture and disposal are all parts of the research ongoing. Just as drilling and production had amazing research development so will energy storage. We overproduce energy for the athletic complex now during the summer. It is sold back to LUS. An alternative is to store that energy to use at night or for cloudy days. Same with wind.
    lithium mining is so terrible for the environment but the people over look that. We are probably decades away from a clean feasible battery storage.

I was helping with researching the use of rice Hauls as a anode in lithium battery about 8-9 years ago. Was pretty interesting stuff but showed me how far behind we were in storage capability

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    lithium mining is so terrible for the environment but the people over look that. We are probably decades away from a clean feasible battery storage.

I was helping with researching the use of rice Hauls as a anode in lithium battery about 8-9 years ago. Was pretty interesting stuff but showed me how far behind we were in storage capability
    Ignorance is bliss here so don’t laugh. But in layman‘s terms can you explain what exactly battery storage entails? Specifically clean feasible battery storage?

The problem is that the general populace are clueless about the whole energy cycle and its ramifications based on a total lifecycle approach and risk analysis.

For exampleusing modern technology there are now zero greenhouse emission natural gas power plants that are capable of operating at efficiency levels that surpass traditonal gas power plants.

There are also nuclear power plant designs that can utilize waste from old reactors and by design are incapable of a meltdown.

The problem is that it is a political no go because of the perception of those who know little or nothing about the issues.

The problem is that the general populace are clueless about the whole energy cycle and its ramifications based on a total lifecycle approach and risk analysis.

For exampleusing modern technology there are now zero greenhouse emission natural gas power plants that are capable of operating at efficiency levels that surpass traditonal gas power plants.

There are also nuclear power plant designs that can utilize waste from old reactors and by design are incapable of a meltdown.

The problem is that it is a political no go because of the perception of those who know little or nothing about the issues.
    Yep.

14. Default Re: Ugliest buildings on campus

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Ignorance is bliss here so don’t laugh. But in layman‘s terms can you explain what exactly battery storage entails? Specifically clean feasible battery storage?
    On a personal level a Tesla Powerwall (not cheap) https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

On a large,scale
    https://www.energy-storage.news/news.ovember%202017.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Lithium batteries are the best storage we have and it stripped mined in China with tons of run off into drinking water. They have a shelf life and are messy disposal .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information