Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

Default Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

There's been a lot of grumbling about our defense since the end of the game yesterday.

Since the dawn of the internet forum, it's actually pretty humorous to read all of the rants from Sunday and Monday morning Coaches.
    It's a role play, like back in the days of Dungeons and Dragons, where you can pretend to be something you're not.

I'm not a football coach, and will leave that to Coach Hud. First off, I'm not making excuses for our football team. In 2012, North Texas gutted us on the road and Arkansas State thoroughly embarrassed us at home. I'd say the Def. Cor. change has been for the better, and the defense, though giving up gobs of yards, seems to have improved in one main category. Holding the opposing team to less points than our offense scores.

Georgia State ran every offensive formation under the sun. It was like their OC took a handful of spaghetti, and just flung it on the wall and hoped something would stick. #2 for GA State is one of the best players in the conference. They had speed. They had 5 wides most of the game running all over the place. I would imagine that would be hard to duplicate in practice.

As for avoiding the TRAP, Instinctively, down deep, our guys were looking ahead to ULM. It was the big Maroon elephant in the locker room that the coaches and players couldn't ignore. Playing in the massive Georgia dome in front of 600 people had to have been a surreal mind "F" too. You run out in front of a smaller crowd than our spring football games, and all of a sudden a young, sloppy team with nothing to lose is slinging everything but the kitchen sink at you. Our DB blew a coverage. The Cajun "D" seemed misaligned at times. The team overall couldn't gain and keep momentum. However, I'll take the sloppy road win, and with all that being said, if we don't improve in this most basic, fundamental aspect of football, we will lose one of the next two conference games.I'm putting my Bill Belichick sweatshirt on, and here we go.

WE MUST TACKLE BETTER

Default Re: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

yup seems alot of players was trying to strip the ball as opposed to wrapping up

3. Default Re: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

Amazingly interesting and insightful take uslol'dog

But did you have to depress me with "Instinctively, down deep, our guys were looking ahead to ULM."

4. UL Football Re: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

I do not care how ugly a win is, it is a win. Still it is concerning that we struggle with bad teams. I promise you if Browning is healthy he will eat up the three man rush, and our cornerbacks need to remember their responsibility is to protect the pass first, and last, because he will easily escape the three rushers.

Cajuns will outscore the Hoax but points and a lot of points will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I do not care how ugly a win is, it is a win. Still it is concerning that we struggle with bad teams. I promise you if Browning is healthy he will eat up the three man rush, and our cornerbacks need to remember their responsibility is to protect the pass first, and last, because he will easily escape the three rushers.

Cajuns will outscore the Hoax but points and a lot of points will happen.
    I'm sure our coaches will come up with a different game plan for browning. Nmsu, Troy and gsu all run similar offenses. Troy and gsu can beat you deep. Ulm isn't going to air it out down field so you play them differently.

6. Default Re: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I'm sure our coaches will come up with a different game plan for browning. Nmsu, Troy and gsu all run similar offenses. Troy and gsu can beat you deep. Ulm isn't going to air it out down field so you play them differently.
    You missed the Browning TD tosses over the years ---long and incredibly accurate!!!!! Of the Aplins, Robinsons, B-way, etc he is the best!!! Well describe him --Lean, mean, fast, tall, strong, smart, accurate, and a fierce competitor and leader!!!!

Ohio doesn't agree Boom. All they saw Browning do was bootleg and slide for sixty minutes. Browning gets too much credit here and thats only because the dip____ cannot keep from getting hurt. To say he is better than Aplin who owns several wins over him and two conference titles is insane. In the end Broadway will also surpass him with two conference titles. Football is a team sport.and Browning will always lose on the team he plays on.

Quote Originally Posted by uslol'dog View Post
    There's been a lot of grumbling about our defense since the end of the game yesterday.

Since the dawn of the internet forum, it's actually pretty humorous to read all of the rants from Sunday and Monday morning Coaches.
    It's a role play, like back in the days of Dungeons and Dragons, where you can pretend to be something you're not.

I'm not a football coach, and will leave that to Coach Hud. First off, I'm not making excuses for our football team. In 2012, North Texas gutted us on the road and Arkansas State thoroughly embarrassed us at home. I'd say the Def. Cor. change has been for the better, and the defense, though giving up gobs of yards, seems to have improved in one main category. Holding the opposing team to less points than our offense scores.

Georgia State ran every offensive formation under the sun. It was like their OC took a handful of spaghetti, and just flung it on the wall and hoped something would stick. #2 for GA State is one of the best players in the conference. They had speed. They had 5 wides most of the game running all over the place. I would imagine that would be hard to duplicate in practice.

As for avoiding the TRAP, Instinctively, down deep, our guys were looking ahead to ULM. It was the big Maroon elephant in the locker room that the coaches and players couldn't ignore. Playing in the massive Georgia dome in front of 600 people had to have been a surreal mind "F" too. You run out in front of a smaller crowd than our spring football games, and all of a sudden a young, sloppy team with nothing to lose is slinging everything but the kitchen sink at you. Our DB blew a coverage. The Cajun "D" seemed misaligned at times. The team overall couldn't gain and keep momentum. However, I'll take the sloppy road win, and with all that being said, if we don't improve in this most basic, fundamental aspect of football, we will lose one of the next two conference games.I'm putting my Bill Belichick sweatshirt on, and here we go.

WE MUST TACKLE BETTER
    Actually, if you had read much in the preseason or beginning of the season, many here were pretty concerned about our defense going into this season, particularly in the secondary. This has been a concern from day one and we still haven't truly found a consistent speed pass rusher because we don't have one. I like how you and some here blast those that question our defense, even after wins as if you don't see that there are problems that if not fixed, can lead to let downs later. There is not one person here that isn't happy to be on the win streak we are on but if you aren't concerned about the defense, you haven't been watching much. You don't have to be a coach to see there are some glaring issues that we will hopefully address.

True, we have done some good things in redzone defense in the last few weeks that have stopped teams from scoring. However, you give up yards like we are giving up yards, at some point, that defense may not be able to come up with that turnover or that stop that you need. GSU ran an offense and it was effective. Maybe more effective than it should have been but they didn't do a whole lot that we hadn't seen in the past like NMSU did where they basically added a bunch of new wrinkles we were not prepared for. You said it, we didn't tackle very well. We were prepared but didn't play particularly well. What frustrates most is that you can play lights out against WKU (second half) and Ark State (hold them to 7 points total) but you give up miles of yardage to NMSU and GSU, two teams you outman comfortably.

Also, i'm not sure i'd classify this as a trap game. its a game you can think and look past but we also have the bye week before Monroe so I'm not sure how much Monroe prep we were doing leading up to this game. I just think we underestimated those guys and figured they had little to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    You missed the Browning TD tosses over the years ---long and incredibly accurate!!!!! Of the Aplins, Robinsons, B-way, etc he is the best!!! Well describe him --Lean, mean, fast, tall, strong, smart, accurate, and a fierce competitor and leader!!!!
    Yeah boomer this is my first day here, I didn't say the guy can't throw a good deep ball, but that isn't there offense. They dink and dunk, bubble screen and bootleg a day. Troy led the nation in plays over 50 yards. You approach different teams differently. Again, maybe the coaches are comfortable with our coverage over the top.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by uslol'dog View Post
    WE MUST TACKLE BETTER
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons [u s l o l ' d o g]. Nice attempt at coaching [uslol'dog] but you failed to get past [Level 1]. Please try coaching again at the prompt.

11. Default Re: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

Anyway we are talking about the same guy that beat ARK and almost Auburn and Baylor and put on a one man show right?? Hawk he is a great one and all we need to do is pull out the tape of the White Out game last time he made his presence at Cajun Field!!!

Anyway we are talking about the same guy that beat ARK and almost Auburn and Baylor and put on a one man show right?? Hawk he is a great one and all we need to do is pull out the tape of the White Out game last time he made his presence at Cajun Field!!!
    Those three games might have been good.but in conference the guy is a dud. Out of conference wins don't equal championships. You have to perform when no one is watching. That is Browning's biggest problem.

13. Default Re: Trap games, and the Ragin' Cajuns Defense

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Those three games might have been good.but in conference the guy is a dud. Out of conference wins don't equal championships. You have to perform when no one is watching. That is Browning's biggest problem.
    ---Well I guess our problem will be, if we can get enough people to the stadium for T-Giving Saturday' is that a whole bunch will be watching in the most important game of his life!!!

---Well I guess our problem will be if we can get enough people to the stadium for T-Giving Saturday is that a whole bunch will be watching in the most important game of his life!!!
    Has he ever beaten us? I don't think he has. Gotta keep that streak going.

---Well I guess our problem will be, if we can get enough people to the stadium for T-Giving Saturday' is that a whole bunch will be watching in the most important game of his life!!!
    Is it not huval's last time at cajun field? Anderson? Gillis? For a conference championship at home against ulm? You act like this game is only important to browning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information