Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette College Logo

Default Lafayette College Logo

ESPN had the Lafayette College logo by our name. That was pretty sad. Was this done on purpose?

2. Default Re: Lafayette College Logo

I see it as a testament to the utter failure of Martin Hall marketing as ul-LAFAYETTE

Default Re: Lafayette College Logo

Exactly why ESPN should just comply with our request to be called Louisiana.

What is sad is that it is not the first time. ESPN claims they approach our name the way they do to avoid confusion. It seems to me that they are the only ones that are confused and causing confusion. We need a deal with Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I see it as a testament to the utter failure of Martin Hall marketing as ul-LAFAYETTE
    Even me, as a UL fan, when I see the ticker, all I see is LAFAYETTE.

I don't see it as a failure of Martin Hall, I see it as a puposeful, in-your-face gesture from someone in the pecking order @ ESPN, just to p---s us off.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    I don't see it as a failure of Martin Hall, I see it as a puposeful, in-your-face gesture from someone in the pecking order @ ESPN, just to p---s us off.
    So what is the motive behind Albertsons and Academy accidently putting Lafayette College Leopard clothing on their shelves?

Marketing failure includes failing to foresee branding confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    So what is the motive behind Albertsons and Academy accidently putting Lafayette College Leopard clothing on their shelves?

Marketing failure includes failing to foresee branding confusion.
    Petty misgivings are available by overnight shipping also.

So-----What is your solution to Albertson's and Academy's stupidity?

10. Default

So-----What is your solution to Albertson's and Academy's stupidity?
    Studidity is the fruit of the marketing.

It demands (normally unnecessary) focus.

And the solution to Albertson and Academy stupidity is------?

12. Default Re: Lafayette College Logo

And the solution to Albertson and Academy stupidity is------?
    Market LOUISIANA at Lafayette instead of UL-LAFAYETTE

You will be amazed at how the IQ of Johnny public goes up.

Think of UNC-CHARLOTTE.
    What do you see and know?
    CHARLOTTE

Don't worry, I sent Karl an e-mail on the matter. We are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyusa3000 View Post
    ESPN had the Lafayette College logo by our name. That was pretty sad. Was this done on purpose?
    Not done on purpose, but by an $8 an hour web production assistant who's not paid to think only to work. The only "on purpose" in this whole name fiasco with ESPN (and others) is the butt drag'n and failure of Martin Hall to do anything to protect the name and brand, other than send a poison pen press release from UL SID. Your name is your brand...It has value, maybe its a small value in relative terms, but it has value. When ESPN does this sort of stuff, (and it really makes them look stupid when they do) it lessons the value of the brand by causing confusion and chaos. Does ESPN care? sure looks like they don't. Has it happened more than once...yep... If this was happening to Coke, what would they do? KFC? General Motors? Obama Care? Lots of guys in $2000 suites start showing up with paperwork that features lots of zero's, comma's, and dollar signs. ESPN would get the message....and count the dollars spent trying to negotiate a settlement as a cost of doing business. ESPN is making the mistake, Martin Hall is just too lazy to call them on it. Ditto for the tools that run the Sun Belt.

Did you see the crowd this past Thursday Night on ESPN at Clemson? Full house, weeknight game, temps in the low 40's at kick off. Look, you have to want to get to Clemson to actually find it. The school is stuck out in the middle of lakes and hills between Greenville, SC and Atlanta. Both destinations are an hour or more to get to.
    I understand UL isn't at Clemsons level on the national scene, but locally it should be. Too many UL graduates and former students have passed their four years at UL without a sniff of a traditional winner in football (sometimes basketball as well)
    Years and years and years have passed without a consistent winning product in football. Augie had a good year in 1976, Sam had a few good years, Nelson had it headed in the right direction, people got excited and there was a buzz around a few of those years, but the plug is pulled, Nelson leaves and then NOTHING for too many years. No loyalty to the school or the program for many, many, years as students and then even fewer as UL supporters. If you graduated 15 years ago, you are 35-40 years old and in prime earnings territory....what was the program like 15 years ago? As a student, when you develop that hard core loyalty, you want to be proud of the school, and back a winner....on a consistent basis, hasn't happened in the last 40 or more years. That's why UL doesn't get a full house on a weekday night with cool temps for a TV game. The school hasn't created an environment in the last 40 years (until recently) to cultivate a large and die hard fan base of over 50,000 people that show up regardless if the game is a Thursday, Tues, Christmas Eve or the weekend after Thanksgiving. Shouldn't matter who the opposition is...you show up because your a loyal die hard for your school and your team. I know, this board is full of die hard, loyal ragin cajuns. I am too, it bothers me when a town the size of Lafayette can't turn out a full house for the only game in town and a team that's now won 8 in a row.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information