Thread: Lady Cajuns Softball Begins Spring Practice

1. UL Softball Lady Cajuns Softball Begins Spring Practice

LAFAYETTE - Louisiana’s softball team officially kicked off the 2008 season with their first practice of the spring. The Cajuns took the field at Alfred and Helen Lamson/Ragin’ Cajuns Softball Park and conducted the first of two scheduled practices on the day.

“What we are looking to see is that we pick up where we left off at the end of the fall,” co-head coach Michael Lotief commented. “We don’t have time to start over because the season is less than a month away.

“We want to make sure our kids are in shape and they have a good understanding of the system and what we are trying to run. Right now they have a lot of energy and are ready to get after it.”

The 2008 Cajuns squad is comprised of four seniors, one junior, nine sophomores and 11 freshmen. UL returns 13 letterwinners off of last season’s NCAA Regional team, including 10 starters. The Cajuns welcome 10 newcomers that include a pair of transfers and eight true freshmen.

“Any time you can add speed into your lineup in this game it’s a good thing,” Michael Lotief said of the new players. “We are trying to be more balanced. The more weapons that you have the more you can match-up with people; the more balanced you are, the better opportunity you give yourself to win.”

The Cajuns are led offensively by senior Holly Tankersley (Kirbyville, Texas). Last season, Tankersley led all Cajuns with a .403 batting average en route to All-South Region honors. She belted a team-leading 18 home runs and drove in a team-best 61 runs.

The top returner in the circle for the Cajuns is sophomore Brittany Cuevas (Brazoria, Texas). The reigning Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year recorded 31 victories on the year with 303 strikeouts and a 1.99 earned run average.

The Ragin’ Cajuns begin the season on the road at the 2008 Louisiana Tech Tournament in Ruston, La. The Cajuns first game is scheduled for Feb. 9.

The first home game for the Cajuns is on Friday, Feb. 22, as they Cajuns play Mississippi Valley State in the 22nd Annual Louisiana Classic.

RaginCajuns.com

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Softball Begins Spring Practice

One junior? What happened to that class?

3. UL Softball Re: Lady Cajuns Softball Begins Spring Practice

Quote Originally Posted by jpspear View Post
    _ One junior? What happened to that class? _
    I am going to guess that most of this years would be juniors redshirted and are now listed as sophomores.

Also the highly coveted Krystal Lewallen signed with the class that (I think) would be juniors now, and she only had 1 season of eligibility to ptich.

UL Softball Re: Lady Cajuns Softball Begins Spring Practice

One junior? What happened to that class?
    I looked this stuff up not too long ago. Here is what I found. In 2005, the year Karli Hubbard signed, she was with the following signees: Kelsey Cammarata (left to go to school at SHSU in Texas), Deserea Griffin (left for personal reasons, is still in school), Jessica Lemoine (lost the passion, is still in school), Heather Warren (personal reasons). Also signed that year was Tara Hamilton (TR from Wisconsin, will graduate in May '08) Codi Runyan (a Senior), and Ashley Kirchbert (TR from Jr College, completed eligibility) Does anyone know if she graduated?

Karli Hubbard red shirted her first year. So, of the eight that signed, two completed eligibility, two are still with the team, and four left the program.

A large number of sophomores red shirted their freshman year. They were in the class of 2006. Krystal Lewallen signed for one year in 2006. I know she completed her eligibility. She played one year in the pros. I don't know if she ever returned to complete her degree. Does anyone know?

Yes, it seems we lose a lot of players. Being an athlete requires a lot of sacrifices. The softball players don't have a life, they are actually practicing year round. Sometimes the degree they want to pursue requires internships and labs. Nursing is difficult and so is education. Can't practice and play softball if you go to college to earn a degree in one of those professions. Usually, as sophomores, a girl will decide that softball is just not important anymore. Softball takes up a lot of study time. Trips take up class time. It takes a special person to forgo beach parties, all nighters, vacation cruises, etc. The ones that "keep on keeping on" are very passionate about softball and very special people.

Thanks, I was just curious that a team with has seen such success year after year goes into the season with 5 JR-SRs and 20 SO-FR. The commitment for all the athletes is extraordinary. Given the recent recruiting success they should be a terror for years to come.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Thanks, I was just curious that a team with has seen such success year after year goes into the season with 5 JR-SRs and 20 SO-FR. The commitment for all the athletes is extraordinary. Given the recent recruiting success they should be a terror for years to come.
    yep, and that'll pi.ss some folks off!! LOL!

Z

You are correct about concern going into the season with only five seasoned players. In 2004, the year they went 60-8 and were in the championships at Regionals in Arizona, There were 18 on the team. There were two seniors, four juniors, five sophomores and seven freshmen. It was the BEST record ever. Three of the freshmen were starters. Not to worry!

I have been watching the team since Y. Girouard was coaching. This team has a lot of fun TOGETHER. It is different from any team I have seen practice at the Park. That 60-8 team were together a lot, but this team seems to have more FUN.

Joy Webre was on that 60-8 team. As the catcher, she was the coach on the field and kept the team together. She is now coaching, for real. Maybe that has something to do with the FUN I see.

I am certainly wishing that the FUN transfers to winning.

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    _ You are correct about concern going into the season with only five seasoned players. In 2004, the year they went 60-8 and were in the championships at Regionals in Arizona, There were 18 on the team. There were two seniors, four juniors, five sophomores and seven freshmen. It was the BEST record ever. Three of the freshmen were starters. Not to worry!

I have been watching the team since Y. Girouard was coaching. This team has a lot of fun TOGETHER. It is different from any team I have seen practice at the Park. That 60-8 team were together a lot, but this team seems to have more FUN.

Joy Webre was on that 60-8 team. As the catcher, she was the coach on the field and kept the team together. She is now coaching, for real. Maybe that has something to do with the FUN I see.

I am certainly wishing that the FUN transfers to winning. _
    Pitching and defense wins games. You still need to score, but with our two or three aces I doubt many runs will be needed very often. Cajuns will break that 60 win plateau this year or next.

Thread Information