Thread: UL Graduate won highest award for valor

1. Default UL Graduate won highest award for valor

A monument at the Cajundome tells the story of Steven Bennett.

Bennett was a local boy, a Youngsville High and University of Louisiana graduate who followed hundreds of other Acadiana young people into the service during the Vietnam War. He won the nation’s most prestigious decoration, the Medal of Honor.

Advertiser (sub)
    The rest of the story
    desktop

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL Graduate won highest award for valor

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    A monument at the Cajundome tells the story of Steven Bennett.

Bennett was a local boy, a Youngsville High and University of Louisiana graduate who followed hundreds of other Acadiana young people into the service during the Vietnam War. He won the nation’s most prestigious decoration, the Medal of Honor.

Advertiser (sub)
    The rest of the story
    desktop
    Thats a great story that needed to be told!!

Z

Thank God for the brave men and women that keep us free.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Great story of a local hero. Very well done article by Decker. Credit where credit is due.

Capt. Bennett is the second MoH recipient with ties to UL. USMC Col. Jefferson DeBlanc was a Marine fighter ace in the Pacific in WWII who earned the MoH. He earned graduate from SLI in 1947.

Rather than worry about us brokedicks that wouldn't make a pimple on Col. DeBlanc or Capt. Bennett's asses dusting halftime the University should be honoring these men (and educating our current students) about these outstanding heroes with ties to UL.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Capt. Bennett is the second MoH recipient with ties to UL. USMC Col. Jefferson DeBlanc was a Marine fighter ace in the Pacific in WWII who earned the MoH. He earned graduate from SLI in 1947.

Rather than worry about us brokedicks that wouldn't make a pimple on Col. DeBlanc or Capt. Bennett's asses dusting halftime the University should be honoring these men (and educating our current students) about these outstanding heroes with ties to UL.
    We can honor a brokedick like you AND our MoH heroes. We got skills.

This is a great story, but obviously whoever wrote it cut their research short. One does not win the CMOH, one receives it. It is picking at nits I know, but the persons who hold the medal go to great lengths to avoid any reference to "winning" it.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    This is a great story, but obviously whoever wrote it cut their research short. One does not win the CMOH, one receives it. It is picking at nits I know, but the persons who hold the medal go to great lengths to avoid any reference to "winning" it.
    I agree with you and do not think it is nit picking. I am sure to a man they would say they did not go out to win anything. I think more people need to realize the difference.

As a Army brat (born at Ft Bragg, NC) with 3 brothers that were born in German, France and another born at Ft Campbell, KY with my sister, I am very thankful for the men and women who have defend our country. My dad 25 years career military, did 2 tours in France, 3 in Germany and 2 in Vietnam where he was the recipient of 2 bronze stars. Thank you to Hammer, Justice and all of the others that have served our country and kept our freedom of speech free for us to enjoy. Tomorrow is Veterans Day, tell one than you.

Geaux Military

9. Default Re: UL Graduate won highest award for valor

But MelRock what a sacrifice to actually live in DeRidder ---I know I go there about 15 times a year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    But MelRock what a sacrifice to actually live in DeRidder ---I know I go there about 15 times a year!!!
    Yes unfortunately my dad would have stayed 5 more years in the Army, but Fort Polk made him loose some confidence in our military leadership. It turned out to be the best decision he made for various reasons, but he was always proud of his military service and would be proud of his grandchild who is a Sargent in the Army stationed at FT Hood.

Just a bit more nitpicking. Steve didn't finish in Aerospace Engr. We don't do that. But he did finish in the Business School and has a professorship named in his honor. His daughter was just a baby when Steve died so she has relied on a number of his old AFROTC (Det. 315) buds and Air Force flyers he was stationed with to get to know more about her father. Steve's widow died not too long ago. He was a guiet, shy guy until the heat was on and then was cool as could be. Kind of like his last flight. Heard about his being killed while at a remote air station in Alaska. It's good that we have a monument to him, representing all those who gave all for us.

By the way, there is another monument on campus, near the gazebo at the Alumni Center. A shard of the Pentagon rests amidst a "broken" pentagon of concrete seats. The inscription honors Bobby Hymel Lt. Col. USAF Ret from Norco and a UL grad. One year behind Steve in AFROTC. Fine Lambda Chi. He was badly injured in a Buff crash returning to Utapao Thailand after being hit over NV. He was a 1st Lt., co-pilot. Badly burned, he spent about 1-1/2 years in and out of hospitals as he refused to take disability. Wanted to go back into uniform. Did and retired but could not fly anymore. After retirement, he took job at Pentagon working with Air National Guard I believe. Working in area of attack. He survived and annecdotal evidence has him leading two groups out of harms way and going back for the third time, was overcome by fumes and died. Good guy.

The leading ace out of Vietnam was a backseater in F4s. Hmmmm. Another AFROTC guy same year as Steve here. Lambda Chi too. Earned the Air Force Cross, the Silver Star, and lots more. Super guy. Named as one of our Outstanding Alumni. Comes back often. Loves UL and follows us from OK.

Could go on but we were blessed with an amazing group in the late 60s. First Commander of the Civil Engineering Lab for the Air Force was one of our own - a Civil grad in 67. His replacement, also a Civil grad from UL, 68. Many more retired officers of that era. Glad to have known them; honor to have served with them.

Some have been honored but we have a truly wonderful history of those willing to sacrifice who have not been honored. Would be good to have the story of the old detachment told.

God Bless 'em all. And the same to all the vets and active duty folks out there. And also to the American people who are still standing by our guys in many ways. So good to see.

Thread Information