Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Desired bowl situation?

Default Re: Desired bowl situation?

Would somebody please present me with a SPECIFIC scenario where a BCS conference school would ever play in a bowl other than one with which the conference has a contract? In at least some years the BCS conferences don't have enough qualifying teams. Also, in what bowl could Louisiana play a BCS conference team? Does Louisiana even have the option of refusing NO bowl or godaddy if invited by one of those bowls? Aren't we contractually obligated to play in one of those if invited?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Well, to backtrack a bit, I guess you have to look at the entire picture. After a while, as great as going to NOLA is, the luster will where off if we are playing the likes of NT and MTSU every year who used to be conference mates. Take that and compare it with a matchup against say, a 6-6 Florida team or a team of good prestige who had a pretty rough year and the matchup would really make me want to think of possibly going to Mobile or somewhere comparable for a great matchup and opportunity to knock of a well known program.

2011 Liberty Bowl comes to mind.

True, but he Big East was the alternate conference for the bowl. They went instead of Conference USA, but that was a contract in place. I'm trying to figure out a way that, say an SEC team, could ever go to the godaddy or similar bowl where there is not at least an alternate agreement

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    2011 Liberty Bowl comes to mind.

4. Default Re: Desired bowl situation?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Houston is no longer in CUSA. They are in the AAC.

FYI, the MAC champion alternates each year between Little Caesars and godaddy. The champ is headed to godaddy this year from what I understandof course if NIU makes a BCS bowl this is a moot point. NIU has a huge game Wednesday night against one loss Ball State (undefeated in the MAC).
    ----And guess who beat Ball STATE??? The team we could easily wind up playing in the N O BOWL!!! Not the Greenies but the green meanies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    It's an advantage. They're staggered. Football fans will be more likely to pay attention, tune in, and roll from game to game. If we were alone on that day, many football fans might not even realize it's a "bowl day".
    .its also a prime time game in the evening. IMO, more folks will likely watch this game than the afternoon games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Or maybe Billy Ferrante and the NOLA Bowl folks need to start working some deals to ensure they get a better opponent to play us in NOLA rather than one of those teams. I bet NIU people would rather travel to NOLA before Christmas than to Mobile in January
    Good idea, but can they contractually exclude a CUSA team?

7. Default Re: Desired bowl situation?

Could be an interesting bowl season, traditionally there are barely enough bowl eligible teams to go around, and usually 1-3 teams stay at home. But this year with 35 bowl games (70) teams, already 56 teams are bowl eligible and only 30 are already out of contention, this means that out of 124 bowl teams, 38 are mathematically still chasing the dream of a bowl. That being said, I think there will be plenty of bowl eligible teams staying home this year, you could have as many as 80 teams become bowl eligible for 70 spots. It will be interesting to see who gets left out this year, last year we were very close (in either proximity or conference mates) to a couple of the teams that were left out (La Tech and WKU). I think a conference mate or two could be left out again. I truly believe with ULM's terrible showing both onthe the field and fan support, unless they win out, they are going to be staying at home as well and I don't see them winning out.

I'm looking forward to Nov 30th. We'll be fully rested and hopefully healthier!

Riddle me this why would the Sun Belt want us to go to the GoDaddy.com Bowl when that stadium only holds 40,000. The Sun Belt gains nothing by us going there, now convincing NIU to come to New Orleans where the stadium can hold 60K+ is a win for both NIU, MAC and the Sun Belt. With the extra ticket sales they could help out the GoDaddy.com Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Riddle me this why would the Sun Belt want us to go to the GoDaddy.com Bowl when that stadium only holds 40,000. The Sun Belt gains nothing by us going there, now convincing NIU to come to New Orleans where the stadium can hold 60K+ is a win for both NIU, MAC and the Sun Belt. With the extra ticket sales they could help out the GoDaddy.com Bowl.
    I dont know how you can get a MAC team to the NO Bowl though. CUSA has 6 primary tie ins and already have 6 bowl eligible. They're not going to forfeit a bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    I dont know how you can get a MAC team to the NO Bowl though. CUSA has 6 primary tie ins and already have 6 bowl eligible. They're not going to forfeit a bowl.
    (There is the possibility they do not have enough bowl eligible teams.) If ESPN wants the match up they will make it happen. I do not know all of the details, but I hope we are not playing on a Sunday night in January.

Ignore what I put in (), I have a problem with reading comprehension.
    Last edited by MelRock; November 11th, 2013 at 05:47 pm. Reason: I can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post

That's a good point. I just did some checking, and in 2011 when we were paired with SDSU, the CUSA only had 5bowl-eligible teams. (2) of which were 12-1 (USM) and 12-1 (Houston). Their bowl placements were much better and of course they probably all opted to avoid playing in the NOLA Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    There is the possibility they do not have enough bowl eligible teams. If ESPN wants the match up they will make it happen. I do not know all of the details, but I hope we are not playing on a Sunday night in January.
    Is someone going to forfeit games? Right now CUSA has their slots filled. If they have a secondary agreement that comes open, could they ditch one of their primary bowls?

Quote Originally Posted by RedCajun View Post
    It would be nice to play and vastly outnumber Tulane in their last home game in the Superdome if they were to go to the NOLA bowl.IMO, it would be a great atmosphere and good for recruiting.

Playing NIU would be nice too though but I'd lean towards nola
    I would be surprised if Tulane would go for this. They will be embarrassed on the field and in the stands. I would imagine they hold some pull with the people at the NOLA bowl. They might try to slam the door shut on us forcing us to go elsewhere.

I'll go where ever we're sent but I love bowling in NO. Don't care against whom. Don't care when. It's an electric time. Now after a few years, ok, lets play elsewhere. But for now, I'm just and I mean just getting used to playing in a bowl game. Been watching every home game unless overseas since 63. So travelling to NO is fine by me. I may be thinking too small. Fine. I'll think bigger when we raise enough money to have labs in engineering that are BIG time.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information