Thread: SECOND Bowl Game for the Sunbelt

Default SECOND Bowl Game for the Sunbelt

Please tell me that we will get a second tie-in next year. After watching Oklahoma State, Alabama, Maryland, etc this bowl season I think we deserve it.

Default Re: SECOND Bowl Game for the Sunbelt

We shouldn't have needed a second tie-in this year. It was rediculous that Troy was not invited to a bowl game this year. They showed they were competitive with any team in the country and I think they would have turned some heads in a bowl game. However, it would be nice to see it and it may be a possiblity in the near future but it will probably take a bit more time for this conference to come into its own.

Tomorrow night's GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Bowling Green couln't sell all of it's alloted tickets for the game against Tulsa. MOBILE! Why wasn't Troy invited. Second of all, why is a MAC school(located in the Midwest) invited to an Alabama based bowl. That is almost as mind-blowing as a bowl game in Toronto during the winter.

Sometimes I think that the brains were out taking a whizz when teams were being selected.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunpride101 View Post
    Tomorrow night's GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Bowling Green couln't sell all of it's alloted tickets for the game against Tulsa. MOBILE! Why wasn't Troy invited. Second of all, why is a MAC school(located in the Midwest) invited to an Alabama based bowl. That is almost as mind-blowing as a bowl game in Toronto during the winter.

Sometimes I think that the brains were out taking a whizz when teams were being selected.
    All of these bowls have tie ins. There is a contract between the GMAC and MAC and Cusa. Trust me some of these bowls will rethink their tie ins very soon.

5. Default Re: SECOND Bowl Game for the Sunbelt

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    All of these bowls have tie ins. There is a contract between the GMAC and MAC and Cusa. Trust me some of these bowls will rethink their tie ins very soon.
    They all should. The plethora of these 6-6 teams playing in bowl games is ridiculous. The I-Bowl was the worse with two 6-6 teams playing.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUfan20 View Post
    _ They all should. The plethora of these 6-6 teams playing in bowl games is ridiculous. The I-Bowl was the worse with two 6-6 teams playing. _
    I guess Saban's presence had nothing to do with it?

UL Football Re: SECOND Bowl Game for the Sunbelt

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ We shouldn't have needed a second tie-in this year. It was rediculous that Troy was not invited to a bowl game this year. They showed they were competitive with any team in the country and I think they would have turned some heads in a bowl game. However, it would be nice to see it and it may be a possiblity in the near future but it will probably take a bit more time for this conference to come into its own. _

If FAU had brought some fans to New Orleans, and by that I mean a lot more than they did, we would have some ammo with these bowls. For the bowls it is about two things. Television revenue, and fan attendance.

IMO FAU let the conference down, not the team, the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    If FAU had brought some fans to New Orleans, and by that I mean a lot more than they did, we would have some ammo with these bowls. For the bowls it is about two things. Television revenue, and fan attendance.

IMO FAU let the conference down, not the team, the fans.
    While I don't disagree with you, I think the fact that this only FAU's 7th (I think) season shouldn't be overlooked. They haven't really had time to develop much of a fan base yet. I'll bet this season will help bring fans into their program. But for the SBC, a larger turnout from the host school would've been nice. It is vital for the future to pump this bowl up for ALL of the Sunbelt teams. That means all fans of SBC schools in the region should attempt to attend whether or not their team is in it. I know that's tough when it's not your team. But, still, it would help the conference, which ultimately helps us.

Yes, I do believe that a bigger fan turnout for the New Orleans Bowl would help our cause. But I think there is a bigger issue that hasn't been addressed here. These bowls don't make their money off ticket sales. I mean to a certain extent they do obviously, but the real big dollars come from ad revenue. Which of course all boils down to ratings. If you want to see a second bowl tie in for the Sunbelt, then I believe it's more important for the bowl to have awesome ratings as opposed to a packed superdome. That's what the ad companies will be looking at. They would like the stadium to be full, but all they really care about is how many people are watching their commercials. That's the way it works. For the Sunbelt to get a second tie in, the New Orleans bowl has to get better ratings. And even though it sucked to be the first bowl game of the season (prior to last season), I still think that being the first bowl game actually gave us better ratings. Think about it, people have been without college football for a couple of weeks, so when that first bowl comes along, most fans don't care who's playing, they just want to see some football. The more towards the middle of the bowl season your game falls, the lower the ratings will be. I think the New Orleans Bowl needs to be the first bowl of the season again in order to get that extra ratings boost.

UL Football Re: SECOND Bowl Game for the Sunbelt

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    _ Yes, I do believe that a bigger fan turnout for the New Orleans Bowl would help our cause. But I think there is a bigger issue that hasn't been addressed here. These bowls don't make their money off ticket sales. I mean to a certain extent they do obviously, but the real big dollars come from ad revenue. Which of course all boils down to ratings. If you want to see a second bowl tie in for the Sunbelt, then I believe it's more important for the bowl to have awesome ratings as opposed to a packed superdome. That's what the ad companies will be looking at. They would like the stadium to be full, but all they really care about is how many people are watching their commercials. That's the way it works. For the Sunbelt to get a second tie in, the New Orleans bowl has to get better ratings. And even though it sucked to be the first bowl game of the season (prior to last season), I still think that being the first bowl game actually gave us better ratings. Think about it, people have been without college football for a couple of weeks, so when that first bowl comes along, most fans don't care who's playing, they just want to see some football. The more towards the middle of the bowl season your game falls, they lower the ratings will be. I think the New Orleans Bowl needs to be the first bowl of the season again in order to get that extra ratings boost. _
    Kal it is all about the fans. The cities that host these bowls only make money from fans in attendance. The New Orleans Bowl is part of a group that is sponsored by the New Orleans Sports Foundation. The New Orleans Sports Foundation handles the Super Bowls, NBA Allstar Game, Saints, Hornets subsidies, BCS Championship games, NCAA Games, you get the picture. Believe me when I tell you fan attendance is the most critical factor. These guys want the hotels and restaurants filled. They represent the business class in these cities. The television revenue is not passed on to the businesses who actually sponsor the games.

You can ask Commissioner Waters what is the most important single ingredient in getting a second bowl. It will be teams bringing fans to this bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ Kal it is all about the fans. The cities that host these bowls only make money from fans in attendance. The New Orleans Bowl is part of a group that is sponsored by the New Orleans Sports Foundation. The New Orleans Sports Foundation handles the Super Bowls, NBA Allstar Game, Saints, Hornets subsidies, BCS Championship games, NCAA Games, you get the picture. Believe me when I tell you fan attendance is the most critical factor. These guys want the hotels and restaurants filled. They represent the business class in these cities. The television revenue is not passed on to the businesses who actually sponsor the games.

You can ask Commissioner Waters what is the most important single ingredient in getting a second bowl. It will be teams bringing fans to this bowl. _
    Yeh, when you explain it like that I guess you are right. I guess for the cities to get a bowl they need fans. But I think that for the bowls to get the big sponsors, you need better ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    But I think that for the bowls to get the big sponsors, you need better ratings.

You are absolutely correct about ratings, and one thing that adds to ratings are stands with panoramic shots instead of tight shots to make the stands appear more full.

I do not have the answers, but I think it is the schools fans who are responsible for making it a happening. I do not think that just because I live near New Orleans it is my responsibility to year after year go and watch other schools play in the bowl. I did not do it for the Sugar long before there was a New Orleans Bowl.

Speaking of fans, Lafayette sure let the Sun Belt down when it came to stepping up to the plate when they hosted the event. A very strong showing might have created an opportunity for that second bowl. The Tabasco bowl, now that would be a "hot" event located in the heart of Cajun Country.

The McIlhenny Tobasco Bowl. That does have a nice ring to it.

I think UL would draw fans to New Orleans. It's too bad we haven't had the opportunity.

Thread Information