Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: SBC Name Policy

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Cusa is not tougher competition, it is simply better perception. Cusa is full of our ex conference mates.a southern miss who hasn't won a game in 3 years. The top of the belt would beat top of cusa majority of the time.
    I understand and agree with you, but perception is everything these days in the business of college athletics. Look at schools building new high tech facilities, stadium renovations, new jerseys/equipment, campus renovations. A school will do anything possible to sign a recruit, sell a ticket, broadcast an athletic event, and/or move to a new/better looking conference.

Many people on RP want the cajuns to get into a better conference(BigXII or AAC) and i would love to see that, but i have a few issues with out current position. When is the last time the BIG XII or AAC/Big East took a team from the Sun Belt in the past 15-20 yrs? ( Answer: Never). This is my theory- moving into CUSA will give us the best chance to advance our athletic program into the future (bigger conferences, increased revenue, better bowls/TV coverage) and this is why.Big12 lost Mizzou(SEC), TXAM(SEC), Colorado(Pac12), Nebraska(Big10) Big12 filled losses with WVU(from Big east/AAC), TCU(from MWC)still down 2 schools (10 total)ACC will lose maryland and others next yr and will refill with Louisville and other schools .AAC will admit Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU (all cusa members) in 2014 and Navy in 2015.CUSA has admitted schools in preparation for this MTSU, FIU, FAU, WKU, NT, all from SBC.In order to move into the dream conferences we all desire, we must show the willingness and ability to make a move. We must pay the dues along the ladder of conferences in order to move into the dream conference. Big12 and AAC are not looking at the SBC schools to fill their roster.

2. Default Re: SBC Name Policy

A successful Independent would have "Louisiana" ownership in a heartbeat.

A successful Independent would get picked up by the Big-12 before any member of either the SBC or CUSA.

A successful Independent could easily have 7 home games every year.

Default Re: SBC Name Policy

Darth Vader to appear in 5,4,3,.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

A successful Independent would get picked up by the Big-12 before any member of either the SBC or CUSA.

While #1 doesn't apply to them, NMSU and Idaho sure seem in a big hurry to forego those benefits of Independence for membership in the Belt.

5. Default Re: SBC Name Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    While #1 doesn't apply to them, NMSU and Idaho sure seem in a big hurry to forego those benefits of Independence for membership in the Belt.
    True but their bigger problem was lack of success in an age of 32 bowl games.

Back when UL was an independent there were only 18 bowl games and not going to any is all anyone remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCajun123 View Post
    I understand and agree with you, but perception is everything these days in the business of college athletics. Look at schools building new high tech facilities, stadium renovations, new jerseys/equipment, campus renovations. A school will do anything possible to sign a recruit, sell a ticket, broadcast an athletic event, and/or move to a new/better looking conference.

Many people on RP want the cajuns to get into a better conference(BigXII or AAC) and i would love to see that, but i have a few issues with out current position. When is the last time the BIG XII or AAC/Big East took a team from the Sun Belt in the past 15-20 yrs? ( Answer: Never). This is my theory- moving into CUSA will give us the best chance to advance our athletic program into the future (bigger conferences, increased revenue, better bowls/TV coverage) and this is why.Big12 lost Mizzou(SEC), TXAM(SEC), Colorado(Pac12), Nebraska(Big10) Big12 filled losses with WVU(from Big east/AAC), TCU(from MWC)still down 2 schools (10 total)ACC will lose maryland and others next yr and will refill with Louisville and other schools .AAC will admit Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU (all cusa members) in 2014 and Navy in 2015.CUSA has admitted schools in preparation for this MTSU, FIU, FAU, WKU, NT, all from SBC.In order to move into the dream conferences we all desire, we must show the willingness and ability to make a move. We must pay the dues along the ladder of conferences in order to move into the dream conference. Big12 and AAC are not looking at the SBC schools to fill their roster.
    Never said I didn't think we should join cusa, but it isn't better competition.is it our next step and is it better competition are 2 different things.

True but their bigger problem was lack of success in an age of 32 bowl games.

Back when UL was an independent there were only 18 bowl games and not going to any is all anyone remembers.
    No I do remember that there were a lot more viable independents back then to schedule. Then when MWC AND CUSA were formed and others expanded, shrinking the pool of independents to levels comparable to today I remember the trouble we had filling out a schedule. We wouldn't know who we were playing or when until late in the summer. And I don't buy your theory that it would be easier now and we could schedule seven home games a year. I also believe recruiting would suffer as an independent. Every coach we have gad has talked about the advantage that being able to talk about the chance to okay for a conference championship and ring gives them in recruiting.

I also don't know that we could capture the Louisiana identity as an independent. Without us Benson probably would have the conference refer to the Woeismehoax as Louisiana. As crappy as the Belt nay be in the sports hierarchy it probably carries more weight than any independent outside of Notre Dame and Army.

The name change would make perfect sense.

The Louisiana Hoax

9. Default Re: SBC Name Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    No I do remember that there were a lot more viable independents back then to schedule. Then when MWC AND CUSA were formed and others expanded, shrinking the pool of independents to levels comparable to today I remember the trouble we had filling out a schedule. We wouldn't know who we were playing or when until late in the summer. And I don't buy your theory that it would be easier now and we could schedule seven home games a year. I also believe recruiting would suffer as an independent. Every coach we have gad has talked about the advantage that being able to talk about the chance to okay for a conference championship and ring gives them in recruiting.

I also don't know that we could capture the Louisiana identity as an independent. Without us Benson probably would have the conference refer to the Woeismehoax as Louisiana. As crappy as the Belt nay be in the sports hierarchy it probably carries more weight than any independent outside of Notre Dame and Army.
    You are correct about Benson when UL would play an SBC team. The same would probably happen when playing a CUSA team. I hadn't considered that.

Scheduling has never been a lazy mans game but with computers and big data of today, you don't need a community of independents you need a series of home-n-home with a couple FCS sprinkled in.

With the increased level of competition (and weather aside) a successful UL would never have another crowd below 31,000

The name controversy will help inspire ULM when they come here on Nov. 30, perhaps even more than it will for our guys. That will especially be the case this year as Browning does not want to leave without a victory over the Cajuns. Whatever you think about their fans, the ULM players are to be respected as they overachieve every year in comparison to their resources. I may catch some flak for this but ULM can beat us if we don't start faster than we did yesterday. Fear no opponents but respect them all.

Here is an important point. Seems with success comes distractions. The hoax are desperate for UL to lose. Need to kill all the name talk, 10 wins, bowl game. Saturday was a great lesson without a price. FOCUS!!!!!

And forget the indepentant idea. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    It won't be an acceptable compromise unless SBC goes with Louisiana, Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, or UL.

End of story.
    THIS.periodanything else is surrender

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    THIS.periodanything else is surrender
    Coach, I really wish I was confident that T-Joe will take a stand for us; but I am not. I have had too many years of disappointing performances from our leadership to believe that he will stick to his guns on this issue.

When are you going to stop thisyou will not have 7 home games per yearperiod

15. Default Re: SBC Name Policy

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    When are you going to stop thisyou will not have 7 home games per yearperiod
    8 Home-n-Home contracts
    3 Road-Home-Road contracts
    1 Home-Road-Home contract
    1 FCS contract.

Alternating 6 and 7 home game schedules.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information