2 2.27%
  • Close loss

20 22.73%
  • Blown out

16 18.18%

Thread: How would UL have faired in the New Orleans Bowl

1. UL Football How would UL have faired in the New Orleans Bowl

Since UL gave FAU a much better game than memphis did. Overtime Loss

I was wondering. how do you think UL would have faired vs Memphis in the NO Bowl?

UL Football Re: How would UL have faired in the New Orleans Bowl

My heart is telling me an overtime win.

Default Re: How would UL have faired in the New Orleans Bowl

Memphis had a good passing attack, that was something we could not stop last year. I think we would have lost

I dont think you can look to much at common opponents to determine how we would have faired against Memphis. I feel we could compete against any of the CUSA teams including Memphis but this year this team had a habit of being really inconsistent.

5. UL Football Re: How would UL have faired in the New Orleans Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by BrudaCajun View Post
    _ Memphis had a good passing attack, that was something we could not stop last year. I think we would have lost _
    We might have lost but I don't think it would have been from their passing attack. One of the nations best passing attacks (UNT) failed to beat UL this year at a time when UL's pass defense was at its worst.

Even so, the 2007 UL defense was stopping the pass at the end of the year.

After giving up 260 air yards a game through the first 8 games, UL chopped that average down to 134 for the last 4 games.

With Lamar Morgan playing lights out and Kyle Ward playing again at the end of the season, UL only allowed 115 yards passing (per game) over the last 3 games.

I think UL would have won easy. . . although I must admit I am only 1-6 in picking bowl games right now . . . then again my single correct pick was FAU beating Memphis.

How about in the future, polls that we know can be jacked up by those without UL's best interest at heart show the names as to how they voted?

7. UL Football Re: How would UL have faired in the New Orleans Bowl

Perhaps the definition of a blowout is off kilter for some. I have most often heard that a 4 possession lead is a blowout. 3 TD's and a FG. In other words, 24 or more points.

If that is true then UL was blown out twice this year. Perhaps the "UL gets blownout" pollers looked at a map and saw that UL's only 2 games that fit the definition happened in roughly the same latitude. Jonesboro and Knoxville.

On closer look you might note UL beat a team in roughly the same latitude as Memphis (Murfreesboro)

Of course I'm being a bit facetious. . . just trying to give the naysayer group some Latitude

But hey! There is ZERO chance UL gets blown out by Memphis!

jmo

Attached Images Attached Images    

Key injuries to Desormeaux and Smith amongst others forced me to call it a close loss. I do believe we can compete with any team in the CUSA other than Central Florida although that game was closer than the score showed.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Key injuries to Desormeaux and Smith amongst others forced me to call it a close loss. I do believe we can compete with any team in the CUSA other than Central Florida although that game was closer than the score showed. _
    I'm not sure about smith, but Desmo surely would have had enough time to heal his bruises. it would have been more than a month between appearances for him.

Either way, i think I called it an OT loss, basically because I didn't think that this team gave me any indication that they would have blown Memphis out of the water, and secondly, this team wasn't able to win the close ones at the end. And, by close, I mean the shootout type games where both teams were scoring a lot. See FAU. See ULM. both games were close, and we weren't able to make the big plays when we needed to for either game.

Blown Out for me

Can you start a new poll UL would have crushed Memphis but we will never know.

Thread Information