Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Fletcher Hall Renovations

Default Fletcher Hall Renovations

Renovations to Fletcher Hall Scheduled to begin in December.

http://www.katc.com/news/fletcher-ha.n-in-december/

I also saw that they will be demolishing the Stokes Hall complex to make room for a parking lot to be used during the construction of the new parking tower on Lewis street. Looks like more photographs to take.

I was going to take some shots of the Union this past weekend but it rained.

2. Default Re: Fletcher Hall Renovations

Descant, known for speed building.

3. Default Fletcher Hall Renovations To Begin In December

Work will begin soon to renovate Joel L. Fletcher Hall. The three-story building on the University of Louisiana campus houses the School of Architecture and Design and the Department of Visual Arts and the College of the Arts’ Media Center.

The low bidder for the $3.8 million, state-funded project was M.D. Descant Inc. [.]

More.

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Fletcher Hall Renovations To Begin In December

Oh no!!!!! The state awarded the contract to the same clowns that built the new Lady Cajun Softball facility!!!! This could be a 10 year project!!!!

Default Re: Fletcher Hall Renovations

They built the indoor practice facility not the softball park.

6. Default Re: Fletcher Hall Renovations

So here is where the confusion comes in.

At the same time they started removing the seating from Lady Cajuns Park to remodel/build . . . UL was building an addition onto Bourgeois Hall.

The contractor for Bourgeois Hall was M.D. Descant and they placed a rather large sign on Cajun Dome Boulevard to let people know.

Problem was the sign was basically on UL Softball property and the Bourgeois Hall improvements were not super obvious.

I remember being very confused at the time, thinking Descant was doing both.

Here are a few photos of Fletcher Hall before they start to renovate.

As seen from what is left of the old McNaspy stadium track.

nov3-10

As seen from the Girard Park Drive side.

nov-3-11

8. Default Re: Fletcher Hall Renovations

Certainly in the top 5 of ugliest buildings ever at UL!!!!! Like you are driving through campus and you think you are at a school in another state!!!

This is, most definitely the UGLIEST building on the campus. It's like the step child of the otherwise similar family members. However, we must remember that not everything is perfect. This will be a reminder.

It's about time. Not only is it the ugliest building on campus, but I find it silly to have our architecture dept in a building that is of such inferior design. Not adding the atrium roof basically means it rains on what was designed to be the inside of the building. It's a mess with heavy rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Certainly in the top 5 of ugliest buildings ever at UL!!!!! Like you are driving through campus and you think you are at a school in another state!!!
    I agree 100%; however, when the administration tried to modify the building to blend in better, there was an uproar among students, faculty and the community to keep the building's exterior close to the original look and style.

The current and former students who had class in this building referred to themselves proudly as the "Fletcher Rats," probably because of the deteriorated condition in which they had to have class.

And as I understand it, the current maintenance project will fix the outside, but will do nothing to the inside, so there will need to be another fund raising initiative.

And yes, it was designed by a well know architecture firm. Ha!!!!

Maybe we should light it on fire before they spend all that money putting lipstick on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    This is, most definitely the UGLIEST building on the campus. It's like the step child of the otherwise similar family members. However, we must remember that not everything is perfect. This will be a reminder.
    To each his own. I happen to be part of that rather large group of people who like the building, and think it is one of the few (and, sadly, getting to be fewer) buildings on campus with just a sliver of character. Certainly not perfect, but a really neat building, and a perfect place for the architecture program.
    And as far as the first versions of the renowell, better that I just not go there.

Why does this company, who is always late on finishing our projects, keep getting the chance to bid our jobs. Isn't theire a law or something to prevent construction companies from bidding if their track record is so bad.

GEAUX CAJUNS

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    Why does this company, who is always late on finishing our projects, keep getting the chance to bid our jobs. Isn't theire a law or something to prevent construction companies from bidding if their track record is so bad.

GEAUX CAJUNS
    I had a meeting with an Architect Client this afternoon and told him that they were going to get started soon on the renovation. I told him who the contractor was and he said "I guess they will be finished in about three years".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information