Page 1 of 222 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

1. UL Football The Book 2008 Football

It's not official and won't be until March 1 by Sun Belt Conference rule, but UL's 2008 football schedule was apparently solid enough to allow distribution of pocket schedule cards at Wednesday's recruiting bash.

The Cajuns will play five home games, but only one of those Cajun Field appearances will come in the first six weeks of the season as UL plays five of its first six on the road.

"I don't ever look at it a lot until it's locked in," said Cajun coach Rickey Bustle. "If it ends up at five out of six, that's how we'll have to play them. But I think there's still some things that aren't totally locked in."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Very early preseason musings

UL Football Re: Ragin' Cajuns play five of first six on road in '08

But the good news is we play 5 of the last 6 at home!

UL Football Now I know why Anderson left

The 2008 schedule is the kind that will get everyone of our coaches fired.

Default Re: Now I know why Anderson left

Quote Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
    _ The 2008 schedule is the kind that will get everyone of our coaches fired. _
    It certainly sets up that way. Hopefully the team can make it thru that tough opening stretch respectably. Doesn't matter how many season tickets we sell if they don't show up. I'll definitely make it in for the first home game and hopefully another; so long as I don't get any schedule breakers here.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns play five of first six on road in '08

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCanaille View Post
    _ But the good news is we play 5 of the last 6 at home! _

And the bad news is nobody will want to see a team who will be 0-5 or 1-4 at that point of there schedule. You better beat Kent thats the only hope of winning a game the first half of the schedule..

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns play five of first six on road in '08

I'm going to be optimistic at this point with the schedule, 6 months before kickoff and believe that this team will be a more competitive team than last year. Given that, I can see us having a chance at USM simply because they have a new coach, a new system, and we have plenty of time to prepare. I don't think USM is so much better than the Houston team we beat 2 years ago. Also, USM is certainly not as good as the South Carolina team we played last year and we were in that game. Illinois is a good team, but probably closer to a South Carolina team than U of Tennessee. The Big Ten was weak this past year. We also have 2 weeks to prepare (as the schedule stands now). If we can go at least 2-2, we are in good position for our conference games.

7. UL Football Ragin’ Cajuns 2008 football schedule

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. UL Football Re: Ragin’ Cajuns 2008 football schedule

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns 2008 football schedule was announced by the athletics department on Saturday. The Cajuns 12-game slate features five home games beginning with the eighth annual Herbert Heymann Football Classic on Saturday, Sept. 20 vs. Kent State.

The schedule sets-up with essentially three open dates, allowing the Cajuns rest and added preparation throughout the season.

“To start with five of six on the road and play only five home games is very demanding,” head coach Rickey Bustle said. “I like the way our schedule falls in the second half of the season. We will get extra time to prepare for a few conference games and have four of our last six games at home.

“We have some specials players that will have the opportunity to impress a lot of people.”

Louisiana running back Tyrell Fenroy looks to have a historic season. The senior sits just 64 yards behind Brian Mitchell’s school record for rushing yards in a career. In addition, Fenroy needs 830 rushing yards to become the all-time leading rusher in Sun Belt Conference history. Should the LaPlace native top 1,000 yards again this season, he would join Tony Dorsett, Amos Lawrence, Denvis Manns, Ron Dayne, Cedric Benson and DonTrell Moore as the only players in NCAA history with four 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

Following the season-opener at Southern Miss on Saturday, Aug. 30, the Cajuns are idle for a week until traveling to Rose Bowl participant Illinois. Next up is the Heymann Classic, before a stretch of three straight road games, including Sun Belt tilts at ULM and North Texas.

UL returns for three straight home games during the next four weeks starting with Arkansas State on Saturday, Oct. 18. Following an open week, the Cajuns host Florida International in the 63rd homecoming game played in Lafayette.

The Heymann Classic, as well as the ASU game, will kick-off at 6pm, while homecoming is set for a 4pm kick-off. All game dates and times are subject to change.

The Cajuns conclude their three-game homestand with a Saturday, Nov. 8 meeting against Conference USA foe UTEP. The Miners and head coach Mike Price make the trip to Lafayette for a rare non-conference game at Cajun Field in November.

After trips to Florida Atlantic and Troy, the Cajuns return home to finish the 2008 regular season on Wednesday, Dec. 3 vs. Middle Tennessee. The season finale has the potential to be televised on regional and/or national networks.

Schedule Notes: UL will not return Ohio’s visit from last season until 2010 and are not scheduled to return Kent State’s visit this season until 2011... UTEP is the first non-conference opponent that the Cajuns have hosted in November since then-Big West member USL beat Western Michigan 17-14 on Nov. 19, 1994...The game has gone into overtime both times the Cajuns and Middle Tennessee have faced each other to end the regular season...MT beat UL 41-38 in 2OT in 2000 and UL avenged the loss 57-51 in 4OT in 2003.

RaginCajuns.com

Default Re: Ragin’ Cajuns 2008 football schedule

So I guess the MT schedule was right. Our last game of the season is on Dec 3rd (a Wednesday night).

This is not that bad of a schedule for a fan. Even though we only have 5 home games there are 2 games in the among the home games that are easy to travel, Southern Miss & Funroe.

Terrible job in putting this schedule together! Does not go well with a "young team." One game at home in the first seven weeks of the season!

UL Football Re: Ragin’ Cajuns 2008 football schedule

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ So I guess the MT schedule was right. Our last game of the season is on Dec 3rd (a Wednesday night).

This is not that bad of a schedule for a fan. Even though we only have 5 home games there are 2 games in the among the home games that are easy to travel, Southern Miss & Funroe. _
    In a word, this schedule SUCKS!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't like the schedule, but we are not a "young team" anymore. I'm always more concerned about the experience of the offense than the defense, and we cannot whine about being young offensively. Defenses either know how to attack the ball, hit hard and wrap tackle... or they don't.

This schedule in no way is designed for creating momentum and fan excitement. The only uptick is that should the first half of the season go even marginally well, the home stretch might get exciting. That uptick is a long shot... it has to be tough to be Bustle right now.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

This schedule sucked before. Now, moving Senior night to a wednesday for TV? When, in all liklihood, this team will be hovering around .500 or worse? I would hope we are getting something real good out of this deal other than 'exposure'. I know what I say to myself when I see those types of games during the season...and its usually 'boy I hope they never come to our house unless were real good so we'll look much better than this'.

I really hope I'm wrong. I really hope this game will have a berth to a Bowl on the line, or we have already clinched it.

Default senior night

is there any law saying a school can't honor the seniors for the first game of the year? i may ask around on this.. probably too late for this year, but let's do it in the future..

15. USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Ragin’ Cajuns 2008 football schedule

This is such an easy schedule I wonder how long it will take to get busseled up and stink!

Page 1 of 222 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information