Page 175 of 222 FirstFirst . 165 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 185 . LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

1. UL Football Ragin' Cajuns' Fenroy hits milestone in win

UL — The white “Tyrell Towels” waved in frenzied fashion by many in the largest crowd to ever watch a Sun Belt Conference game put on quite a show Saturday at Cajun Field.

And appropriately, Tyrell Fenroy — the target of fans’ affection — didn’t disappoint the crowd of 29,031 who came to watch him run.

Fenroy made history during an historic 1,000th recorded University of Louisiana football game in which the Cajuns’ defeated Florida International in a 49-20 homecoming contest.

Although he gained only 81 yards, Fenroy’s 4-yard gain in the first quarter enabled him to become only the seventh player in NCAA history to run for 1,000 or more yards in each of his four seasons.

He also scored three rushing touchdowns as UL (5-3, 4-0) won for the fifth time in the last six games and took over first place in the Sun Belt Conference race after ULM defeated Troy 31-30.

Establishing himself among college football’s greatest runners was something Fenroy wanted to accomplish as soon as possible, he said afterward.

“It was a big relief to me when it happened. I wanted to get it over with as soon as I could,” said Fenroy, who entered a postgame media interview wearing a “Mr. 4,000” T-shirt.

The rest of the story

By BOB ARDOIN
    Special to The Advocate

Default I'm a Bustle believer!

After the MT game a few years ago I was thinking he must go. After the McNeese game I wanted his head. WoW! What a difference a year makes. This team has swagger and a winning attitude. The head coach gets the grief when things are going wrong because he is the head coach. Now that things are going well you must give Bustle credit. I see us sweeping the Belt and we will be in New Orleans for the holidays.

Default Re: I'm a Bustle believer!

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ After the MT game a few years ago I was thinking he must go. After the McNeese game I wanted his head. WoW! What a difference a year makes. This team has swagger and a winning attitude. The head coach gets the grief when things are going wrong because he is the head coach. Now that things are going well you must give Bustle credit. I see us sweeping the Belt and we will be in New Orleans for the holidays. _
    good thing turbine isn't an "i tole ya so" kind of guy, because he did indeed, for years, tell everyone so on the beamer/bustle 7 year thing. he nailed it dead.

way to go cajuns. what a fun group to pull for. i see 'em winning out, bowl included.

Default Re: Keyes, UL defense deliver once again

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    Love that picture! That's team defense! I am really excited about the tremendous progress the defense has made this season. Keep it up guys! Five more games of great "D" to go!

After the MT game a few years ago I was thinking he must go. After the McNeese game I wanted his head. WoW! What a difference a year makes. This team has swagger and a winning attitude. The head coach gets the grief when things are going wrong because he is the head coach. Now that things are going well you must give Bustle credit. I see us sweeping the Belt and we will be in New Orleans for the holidays.
    I firmly believe head coach gets too much attention-be it good or bad. Players are much more responsible for the outcome. Also, assistant coaches actually have more impact than the head coach as they actually do all the teaching. I think we can all agree that these assistants have earned their money so far this year. Note I said so far, there is still work to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ I firmly believe head coach gets too much attention-be it good or bad. Players are much more responsible for the outcome. Also, assistant coaches actually have more impact than the head coach as they actually do all the teaching. I think we can all agree that these assistants have earned their money so far this year. Note I said so far, there is still work to be done. _
    I must respectfully disagree with you. Who recruited the players? Who got the assistant coaches? In the end, the success or failure rests on the head coach. I believe some of you guys took it personally. I've never meet Bustle but I'm sure he is a good man. I've been waiting for Bustle to show us something. He is this year in a big way. This team has heart and character. The old Cajun teams would have phoned it in after FIU ran the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Not these guys.

I must respectfully disagree with you. Who recruited the players? Who got the assistant coaches? In the end, the success or failure rests on the head coach. I believe some of you guys took it personally. I've never meet Bustle but I'm sure he is a good man. I've been waiting for Bustle to show us something. He is this year in a big way. This team has heart and character. The old Cajun teams would have phoned it in after FIU ran the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Not these guys.
    You are right in that Bustle made the decision on the assistant coaches. To date this season, looks like he made more right calls. As far as recruiting goes, the assistants do just about all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    You are right in that Bustle made the decision on the assistant coaches. To date this season, looks like he made more right calls.
    You are so correct here. Nothing else explains the turnaround in the play of our defense this season DESPITE some significant losses in manpower.

I called for Bustle's head after the McNeese game last year, and again this year after the USM game. I will say that last year was an extreme dissapointment but after looking at it from an unbiased point of view, a few of his assistants seem to pack it in making it very tough on Bustle.

As far as the USM game I still have no idea what happened.

But if you look at what he has done since he came here it is quite a turnaround. Year 1 he had 36 eligible scholarship players, year 2 after a small signing class he had around 50. Year 3 we were around 70 scholarship players, year 4 is when we reached the full 86 scholarship limit. Most of these athletes were not D1 athletes but were very scrappy and played smart and with a ton of heart. What we are seeing now is the talent and depth is starting to come around and we are begginning to win and compete with schools who have traditionally been stronger programs. I think this improvement is 90% due to Bustle and 10% due to the Administration for believing in this staff when the fans did not.

I also wanted to boot coach a few times in the past few years. One thing that got to me is that the players on the sideline looked more interested in talking to each other than what was going on during the game. Plus, coach always just clapping and not showing much emotion. When I mentioned that on here back then, I got slammed. However, watch the sideline now. Every last player is into the game and even coach is showing some emotion.

igeaux.mobi

I probably will get slammed for this, but Maybe coach Bustle is finally showing some emotion because he knew that it was do or die this year for him. Whatever the reason it is working.

You know, we're having a great year thus far. As excited as I am for every game and impressed with our level of play to date, the theme behind Bustle's tenure has been inconsistency. We win 4 or 5 here but lose 4 or 5 right after that. This has been the case in 2005, 2006 and last year was just bad. I'll be quite honest with you, I'm not sure how much of a difference he has made in the "focus" and "attitude" as the players like Desormeaux, Fenroy, Keyes, Chery etc have. You ask anybody and its the players who dedicated themselves this offseason to getting better and not accepting failure.

I am happy that this year is getting some people off of Bustle's back. I've said all along to those who wanted him gone that it would be very difficult to get someone qualified to come in for the money we pay. I'm glad it looks like he will stay for a while. However, I am tempering my joy and waiting to see if this program can build on its success and instill this attitude on a permanent basis. Everybody enjoys some form of success at some time but its the good programs that can keep building on this momentum and seize it. I am curious to see what next year's team does with a lot of key contributors and more importantly, leaders that are leaving.

Let's keep everything in perspective and not get to high on this success just as we should have waited to get too low after USM and last year. We need to judge this year after the season has played out and see what the future holds for us. It does look promising though

The thing that makes this season different from others is the Cajuns have played well in every game but USM. That is 7 good showings in a row. Even more impressive, things have happened at the start of many games that could have derailed UL but didn't.
    Somehow the team developed a winners attitude and have stayed disciplined enough to avoid a letdown.
    Can they keep it up all year? History says no but I wouldn't bet against these guys

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You know, we're having a great year thus far. As excited as I am for every game and impressed with our level of play to date, the theme behind Bustle's tenure has been inconsistency. We win 4 or 5 here but lose 4 or 5 right after that. This has been the case in 2005, 2006 and last year was just bad. I'll be quite honest with you, I'm not sure how much of a difference he has made in the "focus" and "attitude" as the players like Desormeaux, Fenroy, Keyes, Chery etc have. You ask anybody and its the players who dedicated themselves this offseason to getting better and not accepting failure.

I am happy that this year is getting some people off of Bustle's back. I've said all along to those who wanted him gone that it would be very difficult to get someone qualified to come in for the money we pay. I'm glad it looks like he will stay for a while. However, I am tempering my joy and waiting to see if this program can build on its success and instill this attitude on a permanent basis. Everybody enjoys some form of success at some time but its the good programs that can keep building on this momentum and seize it. I am curious to see what next year's team does with a lot of key contributors and more importantly, leaders that are leaving.

Let's keep everything in perspective and not get to high on this success just as we should have waited to get too low after USM and last year. We need to judge this year after the season has played out and see what the future holds for us. It does look promising though
    igeaux.mobi

I have to say, it amazes me how many fans spend so much time talking about their opinions, and so little time thinking about their opinions.

Did Bustle inherit a program that was in total disarray?

Yes.

Is being a head coach different from being an assistant?

Yes.

Does that mean that it takes time to learn it, like anything else?

Yes.

Is a head coach, by himself, all a team needs?

No.

Does he need capable assistants?

Yes.

Are there any flawless ways to select excellent assistants?

No.

Does that mean sometimes a coach has to go through several assistants until he assembles the right team?

Yes.

Have we been underpaying our assistants?

Yes.

Is there only one coaching style, and only one strategy to winning?

No.

Everybody here knows more about the X's & O's than I do, about plays and positions, about all of the technical terms. But so many of you are incapable of going beyond the basic information.

You're just like so many doctors I have worked with. They know the books and the literature, they ace the tests.

But don't put a real problem in front of them. They can't think their way out of a paper bag. And so they kill people.

I still don't know if Bustle is a good coach, and I don't know how I could ever know. A bad coach with good assistants and good players, will win .

A great coach with lousy assistants and crummy talent, will lose.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ I have to say, it amazes me how many fans spend so much time talking about their opinions, and so little time thinking about their opinions.

Did Bustle inherit a program that was in total disarray?

Yes.

Is being a head coach different from being an assistant?

Yes.

Does that mean that it takes time to learn it, like anything else?

Yes.

Is a head coach, by himself, all a team needs?

No.

Does he need capable assistants?

Yes.

Are there any flawless ways to select excellent assistants?

No.

Does that mean sometimes a coach has to go through several assistants until he assembles the right team?

Yes.

Have we been underpaying our assistants?

Yes.

Is there only one coaching style, and only one strategy to winning?

No.

Everybody here knows more about the X's & O's than I do, about plays and positions, about all of the technical terms. But so many of you are incapable of going beyond the basic information.

You're just like so many doctors I have worked with. They know the books and the literature, they ace the tests.

But don't put a real problem in front of them. They can't think their way out of a paper bag. And so they kill people.

I still don't know if Bustle is a good coach, and I don't know how I could ever know. A bad coach with good assistants and good players, will win .

A great coach with lousy assistants and crummy talent, will lose. _

So basically, you're coming to the same conclusion I have Good to have you aboard except I don't know if I'm one of "them". I'm simply saying that you have take this year and evaluate after one year. Did coach inherit a bad program? No, he inherited the worst program in the country arguably. However, what he has lacked, and even a scholar like yourself can see it, has been consistency. That is what it takes to put together a complete program. You mix this in with some really bad losses and no defining wins and you can see where people are still cautious. Remember, it was only 8 weeks ago where people were wondering who our next coach was going to be. If this is the beginning of great things, awesome but it will take longer than this to truly see if we are starting something worth while.

Thread Information