Page 129 of 222 FirstFirst . 119 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 139 . LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Overlooking North Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Ark. State! _

We did lose a bowl bid on a crazy play to them. We owe all of um, ASU, FIU, TROY, FAU, and we just simply need to beat Middle because we need the game.

Default Re: I have but one thing to say

This is football. Score.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ We did lose a bowl bid on a crazy play to them. We owe all of um, ASU, FIU, TROY, FAU, and we just simply need to beat Middle because we need the game. _
    Agreed!

4. Default Re: I have but one thing to say

I think this is a good post and I thought that Nelson was class and that
    bowden was a true pr--k!!!! If a point spread would make a difference in rank of power listing and weigh on say a bowl selection--then it is behooveing to run up the score!!!! oops--I was referring to Cajun Express's post!!!

I'm split down the middle. I wanted to see us reach 60+ points, but damn Bustle knows how losing feels. I am sure he did the right thing by taking the knee. It's a sign of respect if nothing else. We could have easily ended this with 66.

If you win all of your conference games, you do not have to

wait

and

hope

for a phone call.

That needs to continue again this week with ASU.

7. Default

DENTON, Texas - Jason Chery's pride took a hit last week when he was unable to match a record-setting rushing performance by teammate Tyrell Fenroy.

One week later, Fenroy set the Sun Belt's career rushing record, but there was no doubt Chery was the star of the night.

The senior wide receiver ran around and past North Texas on Saturday, tying a school and Sun Belt record with five touchdowns as the Ragin' Cajuns won a 59-30 shootout before 17,106 at Fouts Field.

"I didn't know it was going to be like this," said a smiling Chery, the reigning Sun Belt special teams player of the week. "I guess it was just my night."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • October 12, 2008

8. UL Football Chery paces UL over North Texas

DENTON, Texas — On a night when Tyrell Fenroy became the Sun Belt Conference’s all-time leading rusher, Jason Chery stole all the thunder.

The University of Louisiana football team didn’t care who, though. They just cared that somebody provided the offensive fireworks, and Chery did more than his part as the Ragin’ Cajuns won a shootout for the second straight week.

Chery scored five touchdowns in the first half and the Cajuns rolled up their biggest point total in over a half-century on the way to a 59-30 victory over homestanding North Texas here Saturday.

The win boosts UL (3-3, 2-0) into a tie for the Sun Belt lead with Troy, Arkansas State and Florida International, and put the Cajuns at 2-0 in league play for the first time since the Sun Belt began football in 2001.

The rest of the story

By DAN MCDONALD
    Special to The Advocate

9. UL Football Chery, Cajuns Race Past North Texas

DENTON, Texas-Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns are 2-0 in Sun Belt Conference play for the first time in school history thanks to a 59-30 victory at North Texas on Saturday evening. The Cajuns’ 59 points are a modern era school record and are the most since the team scored 67 points vs. Corpus Christi in 1956.

Tyrell Fenroy, who finished with 92 yards rushing, became the all-time leader in rushing yards in Sun Belt Conference history. Ironically, he passed Mean Green legend Patrick Cobbs on the very field Cobbs accumulated a majority of his yards. Fenroy is now just 158 rushing yards from becoming just the seventh player in NCAA history with four 1,000-yard seasons.

Jason Chery was the other story for the Cajuns. Chery had 335 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns – in the first half. Chery had just seven touches in the first half, two kickoff returns for 131 yards, three receptions for 123 yards and two runs for 81 yards. He scored on a 97-yard kickoff return, an 81-yard run and caught scoring passes of 17, 49 and 57 yards.

Cajuns quarterback Michael Desormeaux led all players with 123 yards rushing and one rushing touchdown. He finished 14-of-20 for 217 yards and a career-best three passing touchdowns.

The Mean Green trailed by only eight points after taking the opening possession of the second half 80 yards in nine plays. Casey Fitzgerald, who had all 80 yards receiving on the drive, scored on a 43-yard pass from Giovanni Vizza. The score cut the Cajuns lead to 35-27.

The Cajuns were driving to answer, but a fumble at the NT 17-yard line killed the drive. The Cajuns defense held firm and did not allow the turnover to cost the team any points.

Fenroy’s 24-yard run at the 6:58 mark of the third quarter gave him the conference career rushing record.

Fenroy followed with a 14-yard run down the NT 35-yard line. Eventually the drive stalled, but Drew Edmiston connected on a 45-yard field goal to increase the Cajuns lead to 38-27 with 3:55 remaining in the third quarter.

Derik Keyes first career interception gave the Cajuns offense excellent field position at the NT 44-yard line. UL needed only four plays to reach pay dirt, scoring on a 31-yard run by Desormeaux. The score pushed the Cajuns lead to 45-27 after three quarters.

The Mean Green sneaked closer thanks to a 24-yard field goal by Jeremy Knott. The Cajuns lead was down to 45-30 with 12:03 remaining.

Desormeaux was injured on the ensuing drive, but Brad McGuire entered the game to finish off the eight-play, 80-yard touchdown drive. The drive’s key play was a 35-yard pass from McGuire to Erik Jones on third-and-five from the NT 36-yard line. Fenroy finished the drive on the next play with a one-yard plunge, his 40th career touchdown rush. The score essentially put the game away, giving UL a 52-30 edge with 8:48 left in the game.

Matt Dupre tacked on a six-yard touchdown run with 4:42 remaining to seal the final margin.

The Cajuns had a 15-point lead after a back-and-forth first half.

North Texas took the initial lead thanks to an eight-play, 41-yard drive that ended with a 46-yard field goal by Knott. The Cajuns have allowed their opponent to score first in five of six games this season.

UL bounced back in a big way. On the second play of the ensuing drive, Chery took the handoff on an end around and raced past several defenders 81 yards into the end zone. Chery became the first player in school history with three runs of at least 80 yards in a career.

The Mean Green was able to slice through the Cajuns defense to take back the lead. A nine-play, 60-yard drive finished with a 12-yard touchdown pass from Vizza to Roderick Johnson. The hosts led 10-7 with 7:56 remaining in the first quarter.

After the Cajuns misfired on fourth-and-one from the NT 45-yard line, Jezreel Washington recovered a fumble to get the Cajuns the ball on their 47-yard line. UL marched 53 yards to grab the lead once again. Chery scored his second touchdown of the game, catching a 17-yard strike from Desormeaux. Desormeaux was 5-of-5 on the drive for 43 yards.

The Cajuns defense then appeared to create another turnover as Nate Douglas batted down a lateral that was recovered by Gerren Blount. An official’s video review overturned the call on the field and ruled an incomplete pass. After a Mean Green punt, the Cajuns took over on their 11-yard line instead of the NT 14-yard line.

The field position didn’t matter for UL, as the Cajuns moved 89 yards in six plays. Chery scored his third touchdown of the game after hauling in a 49-yard pass deep over the middle from Desormeaux. The drive’s key play came on third-and-six from the Cajuns 15-yard line. Desormeaux hit Derrick Smith with a 25-yard completion to the 40-yard line.

North Texas ended a nine-play, 54-yard drive with a 43-yard field goal by Knott to cut the Cajuns lead to 21-13.

Chery made jaws drop at Fouts Field on the ensuing kickoff. After muffing the return, Chery turned around to pick-up the ball from the turf and then raced 97 yards to score his fourth touchdown of the game.

The Cajuns defense came up big on the next drive as Washington forced a fumble that was recovered by Dwight Bentley to get the ball back to the offense.

The Cajuns took possession on their 16-yard line and, on the fourth play of the drive, Desormeaux hit Chery in stride with a 57-yard scoring pass. Chery’s fifth score tied him with Brian Mitchell and Jim Barton for the most touchdowns in a game in school history.

The Mean Green battled back with an 8-play, 62-yard drive that ended with a one-yard touchdown plunge from Cam Montgomery to cut the Cajuns halftime lead to 35-20.

RaginCajuns.com

10. UL Football Opponent View: North Texas gives up record-setting day to Ragin’ Cajuns

DENTON — Blame for another lopsided loss Saturday for North Texas might be assigned to an occasional conservative approach.

But until the Mean Green stops giving up obscene amounts of yards to other teams’ best receiver, the approach won’t matter.

Louisiana-Lafayette’s Jason Chery displayed a Midas touch, scoring five touchdowns on eight touches. The Ragin’ Cajuns (3-3, 2-0 Sun Belt) pulled away in the second half for a 59-30 victory against UNT (0-6, 0-2) at Fouts Field.

The rest of the story

By TROY PHILLIPStphillips@star-telegram.com
    Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760

11. UL Football Opponent View: Chery on top

North Texas came into its game against Louisiana on Saturday night hoping to slow down running back Tyrell Fenroy on a night when he seemed destined to break the Sun Belt Conference rushing record.

It turned out that wide receiver Jason Chery was the player the Mean Green should have been worried about.

The senior scored five touchdowns in the first half, providing the Ragin’ Cajuns the spark they needed to race past the Mean Green, 59-30, at Fouts Field

The rest of the story

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer
    DentonRC.com

12. UL Football Chery picking

UL’s Jason Chery scored five touchdowns and accounted for 30 points on Saturday, tying for the most in both categories in school and Sun Belt history.

The school record of five touchdowns and 30 points was set by Jim Barton against Delta State in 1968 and matched by Brian Mitchell against Lamar in 1989.

Mitchell scored four times in three other games. Other Cajuns to score four touchdowns include Jerome Coleman against Idaho in 2001, David Foret against East Carolina in 1981 and Mark Speyrer against Abilene Christian in 1972.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • October 12, 2008

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ That's bull. You're in a position where the game is decided and instead of putting 60+ you decide to do the classy thing and take a knee. I don't care how hard a 3rd stringer works, you don't take class out of the situation to get a kid a TD. He has plenty of time in his career for TD's and he probably would have felt kind of bad getting his first in that situation anyhow. I definitely disagree.

sorry _
    Masson takes it in.

sorry back at you!

Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaginCajun06 View Post
    _ I'm split down the middle. I wanted to see us reach 60+ points, but damn Bustle knows how losing feels. I am sure he did the right thing by taking the knee. It's a sign of respect if nothing else. We could have easily ended this with 66. _

Not about reaching 60. Its about letting everyone share in the success you work so hard for every week.

IMHO

Z

I would have loved to score 60, but I can't imagine anyone on the team or the staff feeling any better than they did if they would have scored 66. We still broke our modern day record, and played the good guy role at the same time.

Next week we play Red Boro's, let's put 60 on them and break the record again. We might need 60 next week to win.

Thread Information