Page 43 of 222 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    But you and the rest of Eagle nation should should know that if you're expecting a blowout, you're crazy.
    Maybe you missed the line in my post where I said I think it will be a close game. Out of curiosity, why wasn't the McNeese game last year close?

Louisiana Re: Who's Going to see UL vs USM

I 'll be there in red.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ Maybe you missed the line in my post where I said I think it will be a close game. Out of curiosity, why wasn't the McNeese game last year close? _
    I don't know, why?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    Out of curiosity, why wasn't the McNeese game last year close? _
    It was a home game. we didn't respect them. we consider them to be in a lesser league than us. we were overconfident. we forgot that they have talented, gutsy football players too. and we got burned for it. Probably sounds a lot like the talk around Hattiesburg this week.

I'm fired up about the game with USM. I think it will be a good one. There's nothing wrong with you putting the history lesson on us. it just won't mean a thing come this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    It was a home game. we didn't respect them. we consider them to be in a lesser league than us. we were overconfident. we forgot that they have talented, gutsy football players too. and we got burned for it. Probably sounds a lot like the talk around Hattiesburg this week.

I'm fired up about the game with USM. I think it will be a good one. There's nothing wrong with you putting the history lesson on us. it just won't mean a thing come this Saturday.
    Most of the talk I have heard is that while everyone is excited to see our new offense,new defense, the new stadium additions and our new coaches, most are concerned with UL and about the game. True that USM has dominated UL in recent games, but this is the first game in a new era at USM, so most are justified in their concerns. You must admit, your team coming off a 3-9 season that included getting whipped by a 1AA team does give some USM fans a feeling of comfort. New season though, so like I have said, we shall soon see if history repeats itself or not this coming Saturday night.

UL Football How many

.fans do you guys think will be in red come this Saturday in Hattiesburg? After reading about the band, 4 Alumni buses going, student buses going, along with the people driving down there like myself, it sounds like we can easily have 2500-3000 fans there.

7. UL Football "We're ready to play"

As a deep-snapper, Scott Hayes rarely finds himself in the spotlight. Players at his position rarely - if ever - get quoted in the local newspaper or earn face time on TV.

But before UL's third and final scrimmage of the preseason on Wednesday, the junior from Bossier City finally got his moment in the limelight.

"We're ready to play," Hayes said, pacing the sideline. "We're definitely tired of hitting each other."

The wait is almost over for the Ragin' Cajuns, who open the 2008 season at 6 Saturday night against Southern Miss at M.M. Roberts Stadium.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • August 25, 2008

8. UL Football Opponent View: USM vs UL

Last game: Season opener. USM lost to Cincinnati 31-21 in Papajohns.com Bowl in last game.

Saturday: vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, 6 p.m.

TV: None

Radio: USM Network (WJNT-1180 AM in Jackson)

On Offense
    USM will have its hands full in the ground game as Louisiana-Lafayette returns its senior running back Tyrell Fenroy and senior left-handed quarterback Michael Desormeaux after both rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. The 5-foot-9, 186-pound Fenroy is trying to become the seventh running back in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards in each of his four seasons. The Cajuns depend heavily on the running game, but they return their top two receivers in seniors Derrick Smith and Jason Chery.

On Defense
    The Cajuns may be able to run the ball well, but they had a very hard time stopping opponents' running games last season, giving up 228.4 yards a game on the ground. The defense was the obvious weakness as it gave up 35.8 points and 446.7 total yards a game. ULL returns all three linebackers from last season led by senior Antwyne Zanders. Fellow senior Brent Burkhalter (65 tackles) and sophomore Grant Fleming (71 tackles) round out the starting linebackers for the Cajuns.

The rest of the story

Patrick Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Eagle View Post
    Don't count on it. We will continue to build on the progress we have already made in recruiting. The talent level at Southern Miss will continue to rise. _
    I won't but I won't discount it either. Just something to watch in the future. In terms of our own improvement, So. Miss is definitely the program we need to better compete against for south Louisiana talent.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Opponent View: USM vs UL

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    an amazingly fair and balanced analysis! Nice job!

Z

another intersting article in Sat or Sun Sun Herald (Biloxi, Ms) discussed how USM still has not made a decision on which quarterback will be the starter - two young untested quarterbacks

GOLDEN EAGLES UNSETTLED AT QB
    Fedora hopes one distinguishes himself
    By AL JONES - afjones@sunherald.com

Print
    Text Size: tool nameclose
    tool goes here HATTIESBURG -- Southern Miss has found itself in this position before and survived.

The Golden Eagles, entering game-week preparations for their first contest of the season, have yet to decide whether Austin Davis or Martavious Young will step behind center as the starting quarterback in the season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday at M.M. Roberts Stadium.

In the past, inexperienced quarterbacks such as Jeff Kelly, Lee Roberts, Long Beach's Mickey D'Angelo and Dustin Almond made initial starts before guiding the Golden Eagles to bowl games.

TIM ISBELL / SUN HERALD - Southern Miss quarterback Martevious Young broke his ankle on this play against Rice last season. He is currently battling for the starting position for the 2008 Golden Eagles.

Almond, D'Angelo and

the usm fans are talking big for having sucha a young defense and not being settled at QB - a new coach can only take a team so far.
    I hope USM didn't shoot themselves in the foot by running off a proven coach to bring in a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    _ GOLDEN EAGLES UNSETTLED AT QB
    Fedora hopes one distinguishes himself
    By AL JONES - afjones@sunherald.com

Print
    Text Size: tool nameclose
    tool goes here HATTIESBURG -- Southern Miss has found itself in this position before and survived.

The Golden Eagles, entering game-week preparations for their first contest of the season, have yet to decide whether Austin Davis or Martavious Young will step behind center as the starting quarterback in the season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday at M.M. Roberts Stadium.

In the past, inexperienced quarterbacks such as Jeff Kelly, Lee Roberts, Long Beach's Mickey D'Angelo and Dustin Almond made initial starts before guiding the Golden Eagles to bowl games.

TIM ISBELL / SUN HERALD - Southern Miss quarterback Martevious Young broke his ankle on this play against Rice last season. He is currently battling for the starting position for the 2008 Golden Eagles.

Almond, D'Angelo and

the usm fans are talking big for having sucha a young defense and not being settled at QB - a new coach can only take a team so far.
    I hope USM didn't shoot themselves in the foot by running off a proven coach to bring in a new one. _

In another article I read about USM, it looks like they are going to run the really fast offense like UL did last year. Their linemen are already talking about how taxing it is on them. At least we know what to expect from their offensive coordinator. Our defense will clearly be the key because I expect our offense to explode. USM has a new defensive line and an inexperienced QB. But, this is USM under a new coach and a newly renovated stadium. Should be a packed house, a great atmosphere, and a terrific ballgame. I wish I were going. Geaux Cajuns!!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ an amazingly fair and balanced analysis! Nice job!

Z _
    I think the intangibles are in our favor! The young USM QB (either one) gives up two interceptions and he coughs one up in the backfield for a costly UL fumble recovery. Also look for a blocked punt by our special teams. We're going to rattle them early and they are going to shoot themselves in the foot attempting to save face in front of a large angry USM crowd.

Unfair and unbalanced. that's what I'm talking about! Geaux Cajuns!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    I don't know, why? _
    I watched Rice put it to the SoMissers on TV last season after the Nicholls St Colonels put a hickey on Rice.

Page 43 of 222 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 . LastLast

Thread Information