Page 97 of 222 FirstFirst . 87 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 107 . LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Quarterback situation

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Well, the idea was that BOTH were vastly improved and BOTH have shown at times to be correct. _
    I won't argue with you.I was just throwing out the argument from both sides. Des has proven to me he can throw the ball when given the opportunity (Ohio last season) I just want to see some consistency from both sides of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Would you still like for me to provide more evidence??? _
    Look I know when i'm wrong, Desmo had a great game against Illinois (aside from that terrible strip run back for a TD). But one game does not make a QB. I did like how he was throwing the ball yesterday. But are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that because he had a good passing game that he's a good quarterback. I'm still not sold that he can be a consistent passer. I still think that if we had a pocket passer QB and used Desmo as a "utility" player on offense that we would win more games. I guess we will agree to disagree.

If Desmo can have 2-3 more games passing like he had yesterday, I'll eat crow. I'm pulling for him. And he should be able to do it on Sun Belt D's.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ Look I know when i'm wrong, Desmo had a great game against Illinois (aside from that terrible strip run back for a TD). But one game does not make a QB. I did like how he was throwing the ball yesterday. But are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that because he had a good passing game that he's a good quarterback. I'm still not sold that he can be a consistent passer. I still think that if we had a pocket passer QB and used Desmo as a "utility" player on offense that we would win more games. I guess we will agree to disagree.

If Desmo can have 2-3 more games passing like he had yesterday, I'll eat crow. I'm pulling for him. And he should be able to do it on Sun Belt D's. _
    Des will prove you wrong, just like he proved everyone wrong last year. He needs more consistant play out of his WR, better route running and no more drops! He will have around a 55-60% completion by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ Look I know when i'm wrong, Desmo had a great game against Illinois (aside from that terrible strip run back for a TD). But one game does not make a QB. I did like how he was throwing the ball yesterday. But are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that because he had a good passing game that he's a good quarterback. I'm still not sold that he can be a consistent passer. I still think that if we had a pocket passer QB and used Desmo as a "utility" player on offense that we would win more games. I guess we will agree to disagree.

If Desmo can have 2-3 more games passing like he had yesterday, I'll eat crow. I'm pulling for him. And he should be able to do it on Sun Belt D's. _
    I agree. Would love to seem him in the running game and in the slot. His completion rate might rocket but these 5-8 yard passes on the average will not get it done.

5. Default Re: Too soon to write off the season?

Its way to early to quit on the season as anything can happen once we get into sunbelt play. There are definately some area's that will need some improvement for us to contend the rest of the way but i still believe that these things are fixable and adjustments will be made. I wont be ready to give up on the season until the numbers say its over.

Geaux Cajuns !

6. Default Re: Quarterback situation

I agree with many that Des isnt the best passing qb , but he also doesnt seem to get a ton of help out of the WR's and our passing game scheme seems to be fairly simple and not tough to disrupt. But i think he gives us the best chance to win being at QB as to any other position , to move him would mean less touches and having to work harder to get him touches and as always to have your best athletes with the ball more often is a plus. To move him now from the QB position i think weakens the offense as its built now , to me the scheme would have to change to move in a pocket passer type QB and its just not something you can do in season.

Geaux Cajuns

UL Football Re: Too soon to write off the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Square View Post
    _ Its way to early to quit on the season as anything can happen once we get into sunbelt play. There are definately some area's that will need some improvement for us to contend the rest of the way but i still believe that these things are fixable and adjustments will be made. I wont be ready to give up on the season until the numbers say its over.

Geaux Cajuns ! _
    When the numbers say 2-6 I will say it's over. the best you can have then is a 500 season. And that's not exceptable.

It is not a trivial matter to transition to another position. Des is not built like a RB and we have no idea if he is a good route runner. WR is a very difficult position that takes a lot of dedication and hard work to master. Not even a great athlete like Matt Jones could make the transition.
    Des is where he belongs. Like many of you I wish he threw better, but I am not sure we have the WR's or the OL to run the intermediate and deep routes.

UL Football Kent State overview

I thought I'd give you a quick overview of what to expect out of Kent State Saturday.

I'd appreciate it if someone could do the same for the Ragin' Cajuns over at KentSportsReport.com.

The Golden Flashes enter the game 1-2 after beating Delaware State, 24-3, and losing to Boston College, 21-0, and Iowa State, 48-28, to open the season.

Overall, the Golden Flashes have played well on defense, although the Iowa State game makes it look otherwise. In that game, the Flashes gave up three scores where the Cyclones had to travel less than 20 yards.

Their problem has been on offense where they haven't been consistent.

Quarterback
    Leading the way at quarterback is senior Julian Edelman, who is a three-year starter, though he's missed time with injuries.

Edelman's greatest strength is his elusiveness. He makes plays that make you say 'wow.' Unfortunately, some of those plays result in turnovers and blown opportunities.

For instance, last weekend it looked like he'd be sacked by two Delaware State defenders, but he stiff-armed one, bounced off the other and scrambled before throwing for a first down.

Here's a link to a video I put together before the start of the 2007 season that should give you an idea of his big-play ability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCtNsC1-XIE

Especially pay attention to the play at about the 2:31 mark.

Edelman's problem has been with turnovers. He's turned the ball over a copule times this seasonfumbles and interceptions. The coaches have worked hard with him to curb that issue. He has protected the ball better this season than in the past, but he's still got some work to do.

Though he's a terrific runner, he's been throwing the ball well this season. The Flashes will look to develop a passing game early Saturday to alleviate some of the pressure they'll face in the running game.

Running Back
    Eugene Jarvis returned this season as the nation's leading returning rusher. He's just 5-foot-5, but he's quick and shifty. He hides behind his offensive linemen then darts through whatever hole he can find. He's got incredible instincts and jukes and spins as well as any running back I've seen.

He twisted his ankle last week, so he saw little time against Delaware State. He should be back to 100-percent for Saturday.

When Jarvis isn't on the field you'll likely see Andre Flowers, a sophomore. He's not as shifty as Jarvis, but he's bigger and stronger and has the speed to get to the corner.

The Flashes also hope to utilize freshman Jacquise "Speedy" Terry more this season. He saw his first action last week and it's easy to see why he earned his nickname.

Wide Receiver
    This has been a position of weakness for the Flashes over the past few seasons. They have speed--but not much size. The unit has improved, but not nearly as much as the Flashes need it to. This week, head coach Doug Martin said he may bring only five or six receivers on the road, hoping to motivate the kids to work hard this week and focus on their assignments.

Last week Shawn Bayes, a senior, had a good week and a couple of younger kids stepped up a bit.

The Flashes have a converted defensive back at wide receiver and in practice he's been nearly uncoverable. Last weekend he got behind the defensive back and had a sure touchdown, but he couldn't catch a perfectly thrown ball. Had he caught it, it would have been about a 55-yard score.

Tight End
    Coming into the season expectations were high for Jameson Konz, a converted linebacker. Konz has NFL ability and is the fastest player on the team. He had a great spring and summer camp. He suffered an injury in the Boston College game and hasn't played since.

In his absence, Jonathan Simpson has performed well. Simpson also is a rare talent, and like Konz, the year before expectations were through the roof for Simpson. He didn't do much last season, but is off to a good start this year. He has incredible hands and with his size and speed, he should be a weapon if the Flashes can get the passing game going.

Offensive Line
    Three new starters along the line made this a position of worry heading into the season. They haven't been great, but they have gotten better each week. If that continues, the Flashes should be successful.

Defensive Line
    They aren't big, but they have speed. The ends, Darrius Carter, Sam Filippi, Monte Simmons and Kevin Hogan, all have the ability to be full time starters. But, they'll rotate and that helps them play at a high level for four quarters. Against Boston College, a team with big, fast offensive linemen, they were a bit neutralized. They played better at Iowa State and against Delaware State.

They'll need to contain Desormeaux Saturday to keep the Ragin' Cajuns from having a big day on the ground. If they can force the running game inside, that should be considered a success for the unit.

Linebackers
    Led by All-MAC performer Derek Burrell and Michigan transfer Cobrani Mixon, this is probably Kent State's best and deepest position. The linebackers have played well all season.

This unit will be key in stopping Desormeaux from running wild, and minimizing the damage the Ragin' Cajuns do on the ground.

Defensive Backs
    Rico Murray is solid at one corner and Brian Lainhart is a play-maker at safety. The Flashes use several players at the other corner and Dan Hartman should be at the other safety position. They struggled at Iowa State, but overall have played well.

Special Teams
    Last season was a disaster in the punt game. They seemed to have that fixed with Matt Rinehart as the freshman had a nice game against Boston College. The next week, the unit allowed two blocked punts (blown blocking assignments).

The Flashes started the season with Kirkland and another freshman, Josh Pleasant, returning kicks. Both players are electric in the return game, but had trouble fielding the ball and have been replaced by more sure-handed receivers. That hurts them in the return game, as far as big returns, but at least they haven't turned the ball over.

I'm a little concerned about their kickoff coverage unit as well, though they haven't really given up the big play yet.

OVERVIEW
    I think both teams are entering this game thinking they can win. I see a lot of similarities between the squads.

If Kent State is going to win, they are going to protect the football and pass for over 200 yards. They'll need a healthy Jarvis to do that, as the Ragin' Cajuns will have to account for him at all times. That should open some holes in the second level for Edelman to find his receivers, and hopefully the tight end.

The Flashes will need to force Desormeaux to throw the football by creating second and long and third and long situations. First down will be critical for both teams.

The crowd is going to really be behind the Ragin' Cajuns as Kent State doesn't travel well--in fact, they don't have large, raucous crowds for home games either.

It's cliche-ish, but this game goes to the team that wins the special teams battle and protects the football.

I look forward to the environment--haven't been to Louisiana since I left Ft. Polk in 2001.

Good luck!

10. Default Re: Too soon to write off the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ When the numbers say 2-6 I will say it's over. the best you can have then is a 500 season. And that's not exceptable. _

I agree Frenchie , if we hit 2-6 ill sit along side and consider the season to be over !

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Kent State overview

Thanks, Steve.

Here is a link to their Rivals Board.

http://kentstate.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1182&fid=2596

Default QB Club, KSU & IU

Couple of new articles up.

Default Re: Too soon to write off the season?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    That is exactly the problem. We have fallen so low, we are hoping for 5-7 or 6-6 for a successful season. And sadly, that may be enough for Bustle to remain. Mediocrity is our battle cry.
    That really makes me sick man. and I know that is not what YOU are proposing but rather the general malaise that surrounds this football program. Everyone knows my feelings from last year. I thought we should have bit the bullet then and made a move. I argue why do we spend money on a pretty field turf. Why do we spend money on a pretty scoreboard. Put $$$ into coaching and not asthetics. Winning = butts in seats = $$$'s = nice stuff not the other way around

My heart goes out to those kids who bought into the program and I applaud them for fighting their guts out every week. They are wonderful. But when it comes to the cold realities of sports today you have to do better than mediocrity in the worst football conference in D-1 (or whatever the heck they call it) especially when the "mistake on the bayou" over in BR is having such huge success (now Im really sick). Tech is winning. Monroe is winning.

Coach Bustle is a good man who chose a very tough profession one that rewards you when you win and severely penalizes you when you dont. He has to go. We tried a D-1 coordinator from a BCS program. My thought then was it was a great choice But perhaps that is a mistake They are used to big recruiting budgets with the corporate plane at their disposal. Perhaps another approach with a young D-2 (again I know I am not PC on the names here) head coach wanting to move up the ranks by establishing himself.

Time to change

i think it's too early to write off the season, though it may not be too early to write off the coach.

The only way I think he should stay is 7 wins or better. anything less is unacceptable.

After USM, i had no hope for the season and rightfully so. We laid an egg against a team we should have been at least competitive with, if not beating them.

Here comes Illinois and the expectation to receive $300,000 in return for a 50 point spanking. That would average to us charging them $6000 per point we get spanked by. THEN!, gametime actually comes and we only lose by three, when we should have actually WON?!? That averages to us charging them $100,000 per point we lost by. Point for point, that's gonna be the best rate for a money game in all of I-A this whole season (except for the actual upsets of course).

So now my expectations, as an semi-eternal optimist, are renewed. I agree with the previous posters who say that if the loss column gets to 6, season is over, and Bustle's fate is sealed.

However, if Bustle delivers, and gets at least 7 wins, then he needs to keep delivering. In fact, I say for him to stay, the next three seasons need to be at least 7 wins or more.

I think my rant is done now, as I've forgotten where this was all headed.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    i think it's too early to write off the season, though it may not be too early to write off the coach.

The only way I think he should stay is 7 wins or better. anything less is unacceptable.

After USM, i had no hope for the season and rightfully so. We laid an egg against a team we should have been at least competitive with, if not beating them.

Here comes Illinois and the expectation to receive $300,000 in return for a 50 point spanking. That would average to us charging them $6000 per point we get spanked by. THEN!, gametime actually comes and we only lose by three, when we should have actually WON?!? That averages to us charging them $100,000 per point we lost by. Point for point, that's gonna be the best rate for a money game in all of I-A this whole season (except for the actual upsets of course).

So now my expectations, as an semi-eternal optimist, are renewed. I agree with the previous posters who say that if the loss column gets to 6, season is over, and Bustle's fate is sealed.

However, if Bustle delivers, and gets at least 7 wins, then he needs to keep delivering. In fact, I say for him to stay, the next three seasons need to be at least 7 wins or more.

I think my rant is done now, as I've forgotten where this was all headed.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am fairly confident that we got a lot more than 300 grand for the trip to Illinois. In fact, it may have been as much as 600 grand.

Page 97 of 222 FirstFirst . 87 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 107 . LastLast

Thread Information