Page 88 of 222 FirstFirst . 78 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 98 . LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: UL vs USM will be a RUSH

Quote Originally Posted by PR_Eagle View Post
    _ He will stay, but I am not sure about Gerald McRath.

Damion is a Brian Westbrook type back. He's physical, shifty, and intelligent, but lacks that breakaway speed once he makes it to the secondary to really bust out the huge runs- so he needs all four years to really pump his numbers up and show scouts what he's capable of.

Whats even more scary is that he only had 1 reception Saturday. I didn't notice that until someone on our board pointed it out. We've been hearing all pre-season how much they are going to integrate him into the passing game. I'm hoping we have a lot of surprises for Auburn. _

Good luck to USM and beat Auburn!

Default Re: Report from Hattiesburg

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    What are you talking about? We are discussing how to become a successful football program. You are digging way to deep to defend these guys. Bustle is paid to do his job, just as you and I are. His job is to win football games. He is not performing. If I don't perform at my job, I get fired.

Where did I say there was no reason for living? You even quoted me. I said, "There is no point in playing the game if you don't want to win." Don't put words in my mouth.
    So let me see if I understand you guys.

I've spent the past 18 years trying to make education in South Louisiana-- including UL-- better. Because let's face it, education in Louisiana is still some of the worst in the US. But I'm wrong on this. I should have waited until UL and Louisiana education were already great, before I put in any effort, right?

I have constantly worked to emphasize the positives about Acadiana and UL, but you're saying I was wrong on that point? I should have complained about the deficiencies, and run down the efforts of others, until those efforts were superior-- correct?

I have put in many hours trying to support our students, faculty, coaches & staff, so that UL and Acadiana would be a pleasant, attractive place, one that would help us recruit even better students, faculty, coaches & staff. If I understand you, I should have been harping on the problems, not the positives?

So apparently, I have been in the wrong. I have worked under the concept that support for others, encouragement, and optimism motivate people to try their hardest. I have mistakenly believed that people work harder for their friends, family and community that they do for their critics.

But you have corrected me on that. People will work much harder when they are surrounded by negativity and criticism.

In short, I should not help build winners. I should wait for a winner to come along, and then get on board.

Unless I have misunderstood, you are saying character is equal to band-waggoneering. Winners are followers, not leaders.

Or did I miss something here?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ So let me see if I understand you guys.

I've spent the past 18 years trying to make education in South Louisiana-- including UL-- better. Because let's face it, education in Louisiana is still some of the worst in the US. But I'm wrong on this. I should have waited until UL and Louisiana education were already great, before I put in any effort, right?

I have constantly worked to emphasize the positives about Acadiana and UL, but you're saying I was wrong on that point? I should have complained about the deficiencies, and run down the efforts of others, until those efforts were superior-- correct?

I have put in many hours trying to support our students, faculty, coaches & staff, so that UL and Acadiana would be a pleasant, attractive place, one that would help us recruit even better students, faculty, coaches & staff. If I understand you, I should have been harping on the problems, not the positives?

So apparently, I have been in the wrong. I have worked under the concept that support for others, encouragement, and optimism motivate people to try their hardest. I have mistakenly believed that people work harder for their friends, family and community that they do for their critics.

But you have corrected me on that. People will work much harder when they are surrounded by negativity and criticism.

In short, I should not help build winners. I should wait for a winner to come along, and then get on board.

Unless I have misunderstood, you are saying character is equal to band-waggoneering. Winners are followers, not leaders.

Or did I miss something here? _
    Get this through your thick skull. We are talking about football. And from what you have been saying, you believe that if we keep ra-ra'ing, the team will magically be competitive. Come back to the real world. And stop trying to twist and turn everything everyone is saying. Nobody is buying it.

Default Hey, CajunFun

I think there are a few things you need to understand about the people on this board.

1) Anyone taking the time to come on here and post their opinions obviously cared enough to come on here and discuss.

2) Most of the people on this board regularly attend Cajun athletics, or those out of town listen on the radio. I, for one, have season tickets to football and baseball and have been attending baseball, football, basketball, and softball games regularly for the past 20 years.

3) Most of the people on this board go to games and cheer. Very seldom do you hear people booing in the stands. I can personally vouch for the crew that i go to games with.

4) No one is trying to keep the university, academics or athletics, from progressing. We are tired of watching every tom, dick, and harry around us get better while we aren't.

We care. That is why we are on this board complaining. The world we live in will not give you anything. You have to go and take it. It's time for the university to n_t up and go take it.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ So let me see if I understand you guys.

1. Remember, we are talking about sports. You have a bad habit of starting off talking about one thing, then bringing up all kinds of other crap, spinning people's words. If you want to talk about education or community, then do so. If you want to talk about sports, then do so. Don't mix the two because you are comparing to totally different things. Haven't you said before that there are more important things than sports, like Community, Education, Humanity? If so, then why do you try to include both in the same topic.

2. If Bustle would have been successful by now, then we woudln't be having this conversation. There are very few 'positives' that you can point to over the last 7 years.

3. If you're all about support and harping on all of the positives, and as you say, there are still problems with our education, etc., then maybe you should take another angle. Perhaps holding someone accountable and kicking their ass to the curb when they don't do the job should be your new MO.

People have been positive and encouraging long enough and nothing has changed. The football team still sucks. Attendance at the games suck. The coach gets skull drug up and down the field in the first week of Season 7. NOTHING HAS CHANGED with positive encouragement. Tell him to pack his crap and get out. And when you hire the next guy, you tell him that you're tired of losing and if he doesn't turn it around, he'll be shown the same door.

Hope and optimism might be enough to win a presidential election, but it surely won't win any football games.

Default Too soon to write off the season?

I think it's too early to write off the season completely even with the disappointing showing from our defense against USM. There are games that can be won later in this roadtrip from Hades that's opening the season assuming the defense picks up somewhat and we don't get beat up too much in two upcoming money games. The question is whether or not we see better play from the defense against Illinois and Des and Fenroy are healthy going into the Kent State game. On the other hand, if we end going 0-6 to start the season, I'll add my voice to the chorus demanding a coaching change. But I can still see a outside chance of us being 3-3 if things fall the right way (defense decides to start playing, offense works like then on some series during the USM game).

_ It happened at S. Carolina. Until a few years ago, UL had actually been in more bowl games than USC.

untrue, unless you have a VERY liberal definition of "few." s caro had a bunch of bowl appearances by the end of the 80's [i recall this because lsu and s caro played in the gator bowl in the late 80's, and they had a list of the gamecocks bowl history on t.v.].

what they didn't have was a bowl win until not too long ago--i think maybe they lost their first 10 or so.

Default Re: Too soon to write off the season?

Quote Originally Posted by awadelewis View Post
    _ I think it's too early to write off the season completely even with the disappointing showing from our defense against USM. There are games that can be won later in this roadtrip from Hades that's opening the season assuming the defense picks up somewhat and we don't get beat up too much in two upcoming money games. The question is whether or not we see better play from the defense against Illinois and Des and Fenroy are healthy going into the Kent State game. On the other hand, if we end going 0-6 to start the season, I'll add my voice to the chorus demanding a coaching change. But I can still see a outside chance of us being 3-3 if things fall the right way (defense decides to start playing, offense works like then on some series during the USM game). _
    I think we will get it together enough to win a few. I feel very sorry for Des and Fenroy. They along with all the kids will be doing their best.

Well, the bright side is that we have 11 games left. Our conference games are the ones that count, but it sure is nice to (hopefully one day) compete out of conference too. My optimism however, is running on fumes. How about your optimism? Stupid question I guess

Default Re: Hey, CajunFun

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ I think there are a few things you need to understand about the people on this board.

1) Anyone taking the time to come on here and post their opinions obviously cared enough to come on here and discuss.

2) Most of the people on this board regularly attend Cajun athletics, or those out of town listen on the radio. I, for one, have season tickets to football and baseball and have been attending baseball, football, basketball, and softball games regularly for the past 20 years.

3) Most of the people on this board go to games and cheer. Very seldom do you hear people booing in the stands. I can personally vouch for the crew that i go to games with.

4) No one is trying to keep the university, academics or athletics, from progressing. We are tired of watching every tom, dick, and harry around us get better while we aren't.

We care. That is why we are on this board complaining. The world we live in will not give you anything. You have to go and take it. It's time for the university to n_t up and go take it. _
    Oh my! You took on the Poor Hungry Doctor. He is an idiot savant parading as someone who knows things. I've meet him. All I can say is creepy!

We could wish to start 1-5 and then go on a monster run and capture 1/3 of the SBC Title and not make a bowl game!

_ BTW, supporting my thesis:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=312233

THP: If you bring enough fans, you don't have to be competitive, people still want to schedule you.

You want to know what you can do to move UL forward? Stop bítching, particularly about things that you have no control over. Stop whining about coaches and administrators.

Be upbeat. Show up at games. Bring guests. _
    That thread I posted there was NOT THERE TO SUPPORT YOUR THESIS. I wanted to personally thank the USM fans there, including one in particular who invited us to tailgate with him and his family. You will notice in my thread I did complain about our performance (look at the first sentence).

You want us to stop _____ing about things we have no control over. Well, I'm also not going to be upbeat over something I have no control over. Things can be done by those who _____ and complain. Just look at what happened at USM. They _____ed and complained that they would get nowhere with Jeff Bower as HC. Well, something was done about it (they even had a winning program and they were still _____ing and complaining).

Default Re: Hey, CajunFun

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ Oh my! You took on the Poor Hungry Doctor. He is an idiot savant parading as someone who knows things. I've meet him. All I can say is creepy! _
    are you sure about the savant part?

_ It happened at S. Carolina. Until a few years ago, UL had actually been in more bowl games than USC.
    South Carolina bowl history:

1945 Gator Bowl L 14-26
    1969 Peach Bowl L 3-14
    1975 Tangerine Bowl L 7-20
    1979 Hall of Fame Classic L 14-24
    1980 Gator Bowl L 9-37
    1984 Gator Bowl L 14-21
    1987 Gator Bowl L 13-30
    1988 Liberty Bowl L 10-34
    1994 Carquest Bowl W 24-21
    2000 Outback Bowl W 24-7
    2001 Outback Bowl W 31-28
    2005 Independence Bowl L 31-38
    2006 Liberty Bowl W 44-36

So how far back is a couple years ago? 30 years ago??

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog308 View Post
    My optimism however, is running on fumes. How about your optimism? Stupid question I guess _
    For the program or the season? I'm optimistic that the right things seem to be happening to fix the endemic and painful problems at the program level. So, if the football season does go into the tank and we're not able to go around 0.500 for the non-conference schedule and we don't compete for the conference championship, then perhaps the tools will be in place to fix the causes before next season. For this football season, I don't think we've reached the point where we need to run Rickey Bustle and staff out of town on a rail. BUT, they've got to do better than what we saw last week against USM.

Page 88 of 222 FirstFirst . 78 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 98 . LastLast

Thread Information