Page 87 of 222 FirstFirst ... 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: ul at usm

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    It is not fair to the kids to be so ill-prepared by a coaching staff than makes no adjustments and doesn't give them a chance to win. It is one thing to lose to a better team, but not to lose like we did. I don't blame the kids, I blame the coaches. And until that changes, it will continue to be the same thing week after week and year after year.
    I actually cant tell whether or not we are making good adjustments or have good game plans. The reason I say that isnt 2005 at the end of the season, we started winning with good game plans, in the beginning of 2006 our game plans were good, but its been bad since the MT homecoming game fiasco in 2006. Heres the question, did bustle forget how to coach? probably not. Did we lose talent? 2006 was supposed to be our year and it didn't flourish. In 2007 we were in year 6 of bustle and supposedly had better young talent on the field than at any point in the history of the program, yet we digressed and went 3-9. The point here is this, I truly feel that the players don't believe in the coaches, their adjustments, their schemes or their game plans anymore. If you have talent and you make them believe in you, their potential is almost limitless. At the same time, if you have talent and they don't believe in you anymore, they will not play up to their potential, ever, no matter how good your game plans and adjustments are. It just might be time to move on and try to breathe new life into the program and inspire these players.

Default Re: Report from Hattiesburg

BTW, supporting my thesis:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=312233

THP: If you bring enough fans, you don't have to be competitive, people still want to schedule you.

You want to know what you can do to move UL forward? Stop bítching, particularly about things that you have no control over. Stop whining about coaches and administrators.

Be upbeat. Show up at games. Bring guests.

Im not taking the bait here....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ BTW, supporting my thesis:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=312233

THP: If you bring enough fans, you don't have to be competitive, people still want to schedule you.

You want to know what you can do to move UL forward? Stop bítching, particularly about things that you have no control over. Stop whining about coaches and administrators.

Be upbeat. Show up at games. Bring guests. _
    Referring to a different post, our athletic program is run by accountants. Therefore, if we are filling the stands for a loser (aka Bustle), nothing will be done about finding a coach that will win. Enough of us have rode it out to keep the program's head above water, but until we put a winning product on the field, no one will come. And if that's what it takes to get the administration's attention, so be it.

As for you statement about bringing fans so people want to schedule you, it's all gain for them and none for us. We get stomped and get a paycheck which may or may not get us out of the red. They get an easy victory against a D-1 school and sell thousands of tickets to our fans. We start out the season 0 and whatever, our season is shot, the moral is down, and by the second home game, no one is in the stands.

We don't need to schedule the big dogs to get out of this rut. Schedule whoever you have to to consistently put up a winning record. Fill the stands with a winner. Bandwagon fans or not, they are still buying tickets, merchandise, and concessions. Then, when we have gotten a consistent cash flow, gradually move our way up to playing the bcs schools.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Referring to a different post, our athletic program is run by accountants. Therefore, if we are filling the stands for a loser (aka Bustle), nothing will be done about finding a coach that will win. Enough of us have rode it out to keep the program's head above water, but until we put a winning product on the field, no one will come. And if that's what it takes to get the administration's attention, so be it.

As for you statement about bringing fans so people want to schedule you, it's all gain for them and none for us. We get stomped and get a paycheck which may or may not get us out of the red. They get an easy victory against a D-1 school and sell thousands of tickets to our fans. We start out the season 0 and whatever, our season is shot, the moral is down, and by the second home game, no one is in the stands.

We don't need to schedule the big dogs to get out of this rut. Schedule whoever you have to to consistently put up a winning record. Fill the stands with a winner. Bandwagon fans or not, they are still buying tickets, merchandise, and concessions. Then, when we have gotten a consistent cash flow, gradually move our way up to playing the bcs schools.

JMO.
    South Carolina got in the SEC, not because of athletics success, but because even in losing seasons, they put 70K in the stands.

Some of us will complain

The rest of us will contribute.

Winners are not defined in winning, but in adversity. For me, it's a matter of character.

_ South Carolina got in the SEC, not because of athletics success, but because even in losing seasons, they put 70K in the stands.
    That won't happen here unless we win, and I would venture to guess that South Carolina did not get blown out on a regular basis.

Some of us will complain

I contribute. Therefore, I can complain.

Winners are not defined in winning, but in adversity. For me, it's a matter of character. _
    No offense, but that's just something losers say to make themselves feel better. There is no point in playing the game if you don't want to win.

That won't happen here unless we win.
    It happened at S. Carolina. Until a few years ago, UL had actually been in more bowl games than USC.

I contribute. Therefore, I can complain.
    Under the first amendment, yes you can.

But you can't and say you support the program. We did a poll, the majority of people agree that attitude and teamwork are more important for building success than money is.

So if you're giving money, and whining all the time, you're hurting more than helping.

No offense, but that's just something losers say to make themselves feel better. There is no point in playing the game if you don't want to win.
    That's what Jesus said. Win, win, win. People aren't important. The meek are suckers.

Wanting to win? Sure, that's OK. Everybody wants to. Needing to win? Putting winning ahead of the important things in life?

By your definition, the great bulk of humanity is worthless, their lives are pointless.

Buy a good mirror, look at yourself. Because if you honestly reflect on it, you will realize that you are a part of that great bulk. You might win in one area, maybe a couple.

Or if you're like most of the world, you aren't really the best in anything.

But by your own definition, if you're not winning, there's no reason for you to be alive. And I quote, "No offense, but that's just something losers say to make themselves feel better. There is no point in playing the game if you don't want to win.'

So who's the loser?

The guy who knows what is important in his life, who values his University, his kids, his friends, his life, his community?

Or the sad little man who can't see any point to life except winning a football game?

_ South Carolina got in the SEC, not because of athletics success, but because even in losing seasons, they put 70K in the stands.

Some of us will complain

Winners are not defined in winning, but in adversity. For me, it's a matter of character. _

It seems to me we are in a Catch 22 situation. We need people to show up to fund and support the program. But, if people show up, it is a sign that losing continues to be tolerated. If we don't show up to force the administration's hand that a change needs to be made, we hurt the program by not having attendance and revenue. If we do show up, changes won't be made. Well, maybe they will at the end of the season if we only win 3 or so games. But what if we win 5 or 6? Does that indicate improvement to warrant a contract extension? Or, are we still at mediocrity with a .500 or less record? Remember, since 1995, we have had only 2 winning seasons, both at 6-5. We remain on a downward spiral. In 1996 after we beat Texas A&M, we should have spiraled upward, only to have our athletic budget cut because we were achieving success where we were. The result has been 3 coaches and losing records ever since.

We fired Baldwin after 3 seasons who went 2-9, 1-10 and 3-8. In his 6th season, Bustle went 3-8 and year 7 starts out like he has every year with a lopsided, embarrassing loss. In Baldwin's 3 years (1999, 2000 & 2001), we averaged 14,412 per game. In Bustle's 6 years (2002 - 2007), we averaged 16,630. Not much of an improvement. Our total attendance for any given year is less than a single game at LSU or Texas or Alabama, etc. And, we are still losing. We will be lucky to average Baldwin numbers this year if this keeps up. We keep complaining that we don't get enough state funding for athletics so woe is us and we will never be allowed to rise above where we are. At the same time, until now, we have done nothing to obtain private funding, to increase attendance, to develop a winning program, all of which would increase revenue for athletics. It is too easy to blame LSU for our fate.

Athletics is UL's window to the world. Yet, we have total futility in football, which should be the leading barometer for athletics. We have had success in basketball and baseball, but nothing sustainable. All other sports have been on the losing side. Softball is our strongest long term and current program and appears to be the one sport that defines UL athletics.

If Dr. A were still in charge, I would say things would remain the same for another year or two because mediocrity was the accepted norm under his reign and he wouldn't spend money on a new coach. I don't think that will be the case under Dr. S. He understands the importance of athletics to UL (and any university) that brings increased national awareness of who we are, increased enrollment, increased community and alumni pride and support, and increased funding.

It is time for UL to _____ or get off the pot. If you want to see what a coaching change can do for a program, look at UCLA and what it did for them with a win over Tennessee last night. Look at LA Tech and its win over Mis State on national tv. We have been talking about private funding through creation of the Ragin Cajun Athletic Foundation for almost a year now since Farmer showed up and they still aren't ready to unveil it. Now is the time for the wealthy private funders to speak up, put up and shake things up. Name an interim coach to show we are serious about developing a winner, then bring in the right coach at the end of the season.

Look, there is a difference in just griping about everything and having a legitimate claim about consistent futility with no indication of improvement. I would love for Bustle to be successful and turn things around. We all want to see winning football at UL. But, how long is long enough? At what point do we stop the bleeding?

We have faced adversity for the past 15 years and continue to exist at the lowest level of 1A football. In fact, in the entire 105 year history of UL football we have a losing record. We faced adversity year after year and certainly again this year. Character shouldn't be questioned because we want to have a successful program and are not on the right path to success. I think we have a right to complain, to no longer accept mediocrity, and to demand that changes be made to turn this thing around. We'll continue to support UL as we have in the past, but our program cannot survive with the few diehards that do. I just want to finally see winning UL football and an athletic department that follows the model that other successful program have. Then watch the impact a winning football program can have on the growth, recognition, support, pride and prosperity of this university.

9. Default Re: Report from Hattiesburg

Fun,

We're talking college football on the D-IA level. UL is not South Carolina. We haven't been to a bowl game in my lifetime(31 years). Most of our fans are downright tired of the same old song and dance year in and year out. We aren't going to magically fill Cajun Field if our performance continues to say the same. People want to see a team compete for 4 quarters and yes they would like to see them win. Granted changing coaches and getting the same results will not help either.

Many of us give both dollars and time to this program and you know what that gives us a voice and gives us the opportunity to complain when things are not going the way we would like them to go.

Our administration needs to make some tough decisions about UL athletics, specifically with Football. Being the doormat of D-IA football isn't fun for the fans and it does nothing to improve your program.

_ It happened at S. Carolina. Until a few years ago, UL had actually been in more bowl games than USC.

Under the first amendment, yes you can.

But you can't and say you support the program. We did a poll, the majority of people agree that attitude and teamwork are more important for building success than money is.

So if you're giving money, and whining all the time, you're hurting more than helping.

That's what Jesus said. Win, win, win. People aren't important. The meek are suckers.

Wanting to win? Sure, that's OK. Everybody wants to. Needing to win? Putting winning ahead of the important things in life?

By your definition, the great bulk of humanity is worthless, their lives are pointless.

Buy a good mirror, look at yourself. Because if you honestly reflect on it, you will realize that you are a part of that great bulk. You might win in one area, maybe a couple.

Or if you're like most of the world, you aren't really the best in anything.

But by your own definition, if you're not winning, there's no reason for you to be alive. And I quote, "No offense, but that's just something losers say to make themselves feel better. There is no point in playing the game if you don't want to win.'

So who's the loser?

The guy who knows what is important in his life, who values his University, his kids, his friends, his life, his community?

Or the sad little man who can't see any point to life except winning a football game? _
    What are you talking about? We are discussing how to become a successful football program. You are digging way to deep to defend these guys. Bustle is paid to do his job, just as you and I are. His job is to win football games. He is not performing. If I don't perform at my job, I get fired.

Where did I say there was no reason for living? You even quoted me. I said, "There is no point in playing the game if you don't want to win." Don't put words in my mouth.

Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

hey man i am not attacking your school but it is true that the SEC has set higher standards than those set by the NCAA. It is what it is. DeAndre made the requirements to play at most Ncaa schools but not the SEC. Or if he did it was really late. You guys didnt even know until after you signed him if he would clear. DeAndre probably didnt want to take that chance. I think its great that we get certain players that way. It helps even the playing field sometimes. I just said stop harping on how you got him and just be thankful that you did.

Supporting a coach like Bustle is a disaster for a football program. The man is clueless. To express disappointment by not attending games is certainly reasonable and to be expected. College football is a business and fans are the customers. Jeff Bower was still having winning seasons and going to bowl games, but USM fans could tell he had settled for mediocrity. That was not acceptable. The last game of the year last year against Arkansas State was very poorly attended. Our AD new it was time for a change. To settle for losing is just not being a responsible fan or alumnus.
    I had a hard time understanding how in the world Bustle got a contract extension considering his poor record, but after reading some posts in this thread, I get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ Supporting a coach like Bustle is a disaster for a football program. The man is clueless. To express disappointment by not attending games is certainly reasonable and to be expected. College football is a business and fans are the customers. Jeff Bower was still having winning seasons and going to bowl games, but USM fans could tell he had settled for mediocrity. That was not acceptable. The last game of the year last year against Arkansas State was very poorly attended. Our AD new it was time for a change. To settle for losing is just not being a responsible fan or alumnus.
    I had a hard time understanding how in the world Bustle got a contract extension considering his poor record, but after reading some posts in this thread, I get it now. _
    Somebody gets it.

If you are accepting of mediocrity, you'll get more of it. If you are accepting of losing, you'll get more of it. It isn't the least bit complicated.

Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ That post was directed to the LaTech fan that attacked USM on this board. Best wishes with Gustav. Hope all is well. _

Interesting. Sure seems you were attacking several of our fans on our board again...Not that it really matters anymore. I'm just sick of seeing you guys posting. I guess its just post Gustav frustration..

Page 87 of 222 FirstFirst ... 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 97 ... LastLast

Thread Information