Page 7 of 222 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: How to beat S.Miss

[QUOTE=crazycajun;117646]
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    _ Explain? Without the big letters. _
    [/QUOTe)

im not sure if it was ohio of florida atlantic but we were driving the ball down the field. the defense could not stop des and fenroy. Des was getting off nice dink and dunk passes. i want to say we never even got to third down on the drive. every 2 plays we would get a first down. then out of the "playbook for idiots" comes this stupid full back pass from chancellor roberson that gets intercepted at the 5. Absolutely the crappiest thing i have ever seen. at that moment i realized for sure that our coaches were idiots. whoever called that play is a moron. i hope to god it was blake anderson! _

Ah yes i remember that, made me sick to my stomach. Luckily i followed tradition and had enough beer to numb that pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I remember the days when we would beat Southern Miss and didn't have to worry about what things we had to do to win. We used to be on the same level as USM, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa and the like. I want to go back to days like that. How to beat USM? Win the turnover battle, play sound defense & avoid 3rd and long.
    You might want to check out the history of the series...

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...hp?teamid=3052

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ You might want to check out the history of the series...

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...hp?teamid=3052 _
    With 50 games in this series and being less than 4 hours apart this is a rivalry that should be played annually. Close travel distance for both schools with a long history of playing each other. I think it would be a great rivalry along with Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowDog View Post
    _ I agree with you. Southern Miss plays a much tougher, meaner brand of football than we do. Their defense will intimidate our offense from start to finish. _

Better defenses than USM did not intimidate our offense last year when we were healthy. The issue as in the past two seasons is not offense, but defense and special teams.

The offense is not geared to catch up, and once we get down then turnovers are highly likely like all teams with all kinds of offensive schemes.

_ I think that was the Florida Atlantic game...another game we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!!! _

Yes we did take the lead very late and gave it up even later. Don't know which was the more unlikely to have happened, I think getting the lead was doable, and giving it right back was the norm.

#5 doesn't happen until the coaches grow a pair and actually pretend to use the downfield passing game. We threw for 250 yards against Ohio last year and they did a great job of throwing to the backfield esp. Wallace along with some nice downfield throws. I didn't see them attempt that once again the rest of the season

I remember the days when we would beat Southern Miss and didn't have to worry about what things we had to do to win. We used to be on the same level as USM, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa and the like. I want to go back to days like that. How to beat USM? Win the turnover battle, play sound defense & avoid 3rd and long.
    While I think there have been many times in our FB history where we have been very competitive with Southern Miss, our W-L record has never been very good against them. We've had numerous close losses (along with with a number of blow-outs), but darn few W's. I do remember beating them, but your implication was we used to (at one time) beat them (or any of those teams) regularly is wrong, with the exception of Tulsa and East Carolina. However, I do agree with you that we used to be more on par with the likes of those teams than we have been in the past decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    While I think there have been many times in our FB history where we have been very competitive with Southern Miss, our W-L record has never been very good against them. We've had numerous close losses (along with with a number of blow-outs), but darn few W's. I do remember beating them, but your implication was we used to (at one time) beat them (or any of those teams) regularly is wrong, with the exception of Tulsa and East Carolina. However, I do agree with you that we used to be more on par with the likes of those teams than we have been in the past decade or so.

RICE

'82-89---3-1 record

EAST CAROLINA

'77-'90---6-4 record

TULSA

'77-'92---5-4 record

MEMPHIS

all time 4-9 record, but

'84-96---4-5 record

TULANE

all time 4-20 record, but

'83-95---4-5 record

SOUTHERN MISS

all time 11-38-1 record, but

'82-93---4-6 record

What can be gleamed from this? Well, for one thing, it shows that from the beginning of FBS play in 1982 to the mid-90's, UL was a legit, competitve FBS program.

I also believe that for most of the next decade after the mid 90's we were not a legit, competitive FBS program. The reason for that is not that these other programs greatly improved their programs and we couldn't keep up. The reason for this is that WE QUIT TRYING on an administrative level.

That's a huge difference, and Cajun fans have a right to be angry about it.

The fact is that we DID beat some of these programs regularly and were even with others, and now that the main obstacle to our return to this level of play has been removed, I wholeheartedly expect UL football to get back to where we once were.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    RICE

'82-89---3-1 record

EAST CAROLINA

'77-'90---6-4 record

TULSA

'77-'92---5-4 record

MEMPHIS

all time 4-9 record, but

'84-96---4-5 record

TULANE

'83-95---4-5 record

SOUTHERN MISS

'82-93---4-6 record

What can be gleamed from this? Well, for one thing, it shows that from the beginning of FBS play in 1982 to the mid-90's, UL was a legit, competitve FBS program.

I also believe that for most of the next decade after the mid 90's we were not a legit, competitive FBS program. The reason for that is not that these other programs greatly improved their programs and we couldn't keep up. The reason for this is that WE QUIT TRYING on an administrative level.

The fact is that we DID beat some of these programs regularly and were even with others, and now that the main obstacle to our return to this level of play has been removed, I wholeheartedly expect UL football to get back to where we once were.
    Hey!!! Maybe we can have Doc A do another victory lap around Cajun Field this fall???? you know...just for old times sake!!!

You were a great one, DOC!!! Thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    RICE

'82-89---3-1 record

EAST CAROLINA

'77-'90---6-4 record

TULSA

'77-'92---5-4 record

MEMPHIS

all time 4-9 record, but

'84-96---4-5 record

TULANE

'83-95---4-5 record

SOUTHERN MISS

'82-93---4-6 record

Well I agree with you that we are down from what we were a decade or so ago. And that we have a right to be unhappy with the current status quo. But I don't think a 5-4 or 4-5 record in an arbitrarily varying window can be considered "regularly beating" those teams. I do think it means being very competitive with them. BTW, when I looked back at USM series (thanks to SpreadEagle), I noticed we beat USM the first 7 games of the series, only allowing a TOTAL of 13 points. However, since then they have a 38-4-1 record against us. That leads me to think that this season we will give them all they want, but succumb at the end. However it goes, I plan to be at Roberts Stadium to see it. I think everything is in place for us to give them a helluva game.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    But I don't think a 5-4 or 4-5 record in an arbitrarily varying window can be considered "regularly beating" those teams.
    I said "some" of these caliber teams. Consider our record versus these teams:

RICE
    COLORADO STATE
    UNLV
    TULSA
    FRESNO STATE
    EAST CAROLINA

...for these years:

'77-'90---21-8 record

You can call it whatever you like, but that's more than just being competitive.

I think what the other poster was getting at is that for a couple of decades, Cajun fans could go into a game with any of the schools we've been talking about in this thread and expect to if not win it, at least play a good competitve game. We didn't sit around and discuss ways we could somehow surprise them and steal it.

The mindset back then was the same mindset we have today in regards to our conference mates. Although, we haven't done a very good job in this regard either lately .

As for the USM game this season, if our pony is doing its "one trick" very well, we have a chance. If not, it could be a long night.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default CAJUNS 14 point underdogs in week 1

Default Re: CAJUNS 14 pt underdogs in week 1

Are you seeing this CajunZ1?

I can't believe that lines are out on these games this far out

And were getting a lot more love then ULM and N Texas are getting on there lines.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ Are you seeing this CajunZ1? _
    My guess was 11, yours was 17, correct?

I believe we have a draw! (Unless of course we agree to Price is Right rules... )

Page 7 of 222 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information