Page 6 of 222 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

UL Football Re: How to beat S.Miss

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Here is how we will win-

Win the turnover battle

Win third down on offense and defense

No big plays allowed in the kicking game

That is how all football games are won. Last year, the thing that hurt us most in the things above, was giving up big plays on third down when he had teams in long yardage situations. _

WOW!! This is an awesome strategy. Last time I checked any football team would win with this kind of play. Hopefully we do this every game.........bcs bound!!! Geaux Cajuns

Default Re: How to beat S.Miss

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBoudin View Post
    _ I'm not as generous as most of you. Kent State is a must win if this season is to even be respectable and I don't even have that game as a sure thing. I think we are going 3-8 with 4-7 being the absolute best. Not enough talent, especially on defense. Only in the theoretical can you come up with notions that this defense will be improved over last year.

How many wins does Bustle need in order to be retained? The wheels could be off this thing before we even get to the month of October. _
    I agree with you. Southern Miss plays a much tougher, meaner brand of football than we do. Their defense will intimidate our offense from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Actually, on paper there is plenty to be optimistic about. In terms of experience and leadership, the offensive backfield cannot get any better and there is plenty of talent and depth across the front line. The defense has no way to go but up. Special teams needs plenty of improvement but it can be done. So, looking at the same players and coaching staff as you, I think our results will be far better in 2008. I quit predicting wins and losses a long time ago but I'll say this team will be successful with the rightfully anticipated improvements in special teams and defense and smart play on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Geaux Cajuns!!!
    _
    I am very optimistic the offense will be improved, but I see no reason why the defense will be better. Our best 3 lineman are all gone. The kids taking their place have never been productive on the college level. Our DB's played mostly soft zone and when they did play man they were burned regularly. It is quite possible we could be worse at rushing the passer and defending the pass than we were last year. This will equate to coverted 3rd downs, big plays and no turnovers. If this scenario plays out we will be getting a new coach.

BTW, I think we can go 6-6 or 7-5 if our offense can hold on to the ball and keep the defense off the field. If we do not win time of possesion we will only get a few wins.

Quote Originally Posted by scotto_25 View Post
    _ WOW!! This is an awesome strategy. Last time I checked any football team would win with this kind of play. Hopefully we do this every game.........bcs bound!!! Geaux Cajuns _
    Fullback pass... it works everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I'm with you man. Don't get me wrong. I will be in the stands for every home game and a couple of the away games cheering my butt off, but until I'm shown something from this program, I won't get my hopes up.

I, personally, don't think it's a lack of talent. I think it's the one page play book. Draw left, draw right, option left, option right. It's not hard to defend.
    If there is a problem with the playbook, it is the defensive one, not the offensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I am very optimistic the offense will be improved, but I see no reason why the defense will be better. Our best 3 lineman are all gone. The kids taking their place have never been productive on the college level. Our DB's played mostly soft zone and when they did play man they were burned regularly. It is quite possible we could be worse at rushing the passer and defending the pass than we were last year. This will equate to coverted 3rd downs, big plays and no turnovers. If this scenario plays out we will be getting a new coach.

BTW, I think we can go 6-6 or 7-5 if our offense can hold on to the ball and keep the defense off the field. If we do not win time of possesion we will only get a few wins.
    I definitely understand your concern about the defense. If they do improve, it will be because they are more comfortable with the scheme, Fleming becomes the superstar we think he can be, Dean is the defensive freshman of the year and the two JC corners we brought in last year have live up to their potential. I am not saying any of these will happen. I am saying it is not impossible we will improve and these factors could lead to that improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Fullback pass... it works everytime! _
    Oh my god no! That was the worst play in cajun history!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    Oh my god no! That was the worst play in cajun history!
    Explain? Without the big letters.

I remember the days when we would beat Southern Miss and didn't have to worry about what things we had to do to win. We used to be on the same level as USM, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa and the like. I want to go back to days like that. How to beat USM? Win the turnover battle, play sound defense & avoid 3rd and long.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    _ Explain? Without the big letters. _
    I am not sure what game it was but this past season our fullback Chancellor Roberson who is 260# threw the worst looking pass that I ever seen (15 yard duck) that came up maybe 15 yards short. Very embarrassing. Huge turnover on the opponents side of the field and the throw was forced. He should have ate it.

I think that was the Florida Atlantic game...another game we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!!!

This will be a very exciting game. I hope many of your fans make it to Hattiesburg for the game. It will be a day of firsts for Southern Miss. A new head coach after 17 years. A whole new coaching staff. A new freshman qb. A whole new defensive line. Most exciting will be the opening of our new stadium additions.
    We will be expecting a tough contest against your Cajuns. Our team will be very talented on offense, but defense is a big question mark. Anyway, I look forward to visiting with you guys before the game.

I like our chances in this one. For the first time since 2004 we open against a non bcs team. We got Senior QB, RB and receivers to go against a questionable defense. I not saying we are running them out of their own stadium but we have done pretty well against CUSA. Hopefully it stays that way and we are 2 and 2 once conference play begins. If we lose then Kent ST is a must win.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    I am not sure what game it was but this past season our fullback Chancellor Roberson who is 260# threw the worst looking pass that I ever seen (15 yard duck) that came up maybe 15 yards short. Very embarrassing. Huge turnover on the opponents side of the field and the throw was forced. He should have ate it. _
    I lay 99% of that one on the coaching staff. You want another great example of futility go back and review the 4th quarter of the UCF game at Cajun Field in 2005 or 2006.

[QUOTE=Damon;117598]
    _ Explain? Without the big letters. _
    [/QUOTe)

im not sure if it was ohio of florida atlantic but we were driving the ball down the field. the defense could not stop des and fenroy. Des was getting off nice dink and dunk passes. i want to say we never even got to third down on the drive. every 2 plays we would get a first down. then out of the "playbook for idiots" comes this stupid full back pass from chancellor roberson that gets intercepted at the 5. Absolutely the crappiest thing i have ever seen. at that moment i realized for sure that our coaches were idiots. whoever called that play is a moron. i hope to god it was blake anderson!

Page 6 of 222 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information