Page 61 of 222 FirstFirst . 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: UL vs USM will be a RUSH

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ You say thank you Mitchell and we say thank you Favre. To each school these two players define the programs. The main difference is your administration and community stepped up to the plate and did everything that it takes in order to succeed in football at the mid major level. While our administration did everything in their power to keep us from becoming a sports school. _
    In recent years our community failed us. There was a bond issue voted down in Hattiesburg recently that would have brought about the upgrades at The Rock, Pete Taylor Park and Reed Green among other things, a couple of years earlier. It would have been paid back by a 1% tax on restaurant food and beverage and a $1 tax on hotel rooms. So the bunk of it would have been paid back by nonHattiesburg residents. Interestingly, our Mayor supported it until a Rev Fairley formed a opposition group called NO NOT NOW, then he stood silently behind them. There was also a restaurant group that used phone banks to spread misinformation during the final two days before the vote. Who was that group led bythe father of one of our baseball players. It was a mess. In the end our AD stepped up and made it happen, within "our" communtity. So the opener this year is pretty sweet. But its not always been easy.

Default Cajun Offense Looking for Balance

Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

Quote Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
    _ LOL! You might make that claim, but you'd be laughed out of the room. You can't compare conferences based on a few random games. If you want to put your 8 members up against 1 through 8 of CUSA, then take that record and talk smack, you might have something. However, I think that you would be very disappointed with the result.

FAU vs UCF = CUSA blowout victory
    Troy vs Tulsa = CUSA blowout victory
    ULM vs ECU = CUSA blowout victory
    MTSU vs Houston = CUSA blowout victory
    ULL vs USM = CUSA blowout victory
    UNT vs Memphis = CUSA blowout victory
    FIU vs Tulane = likely CUSA win

There's a reason that CUSA has 5-6 bowls/year, while the SB has 1. There's a reason why CUSA has multi-year/multi-million dollar TV contracts with ESPN and CSTV, and the SB doesn't have squat. We are a better conference, and everyone in the world seems to know it but YOU. _
    You must need some work with your reading comprehension. Read my posts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    _ Overconfidence usually comes back to bite ya in the _____

UL Cajuns 27
    USM Eagles 23

_
    Good thing we aren't the ones on the field then huh?

I know without a doubt Fedora has the guys mentally ready and not looking toward upsetting Auburn. He's not going to come out and lose his first game as a HC and his first home game.

5. UL Football Week 1 Mid-Week Practice Report

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns began practice preparations for Southern Mississippi last Thursday. The team had scout team drills on Thursday and Friday to get a jump on their game-week planning. After a special script day by Coach Bustle on Saturday, a regular game week started with Sunday night’s practice at Cajun Field.

The team continued drills on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday will mark the final practice before the season opener. The Cajuns will depart via charter bus on Friday for Hattiesburg.

Five questions for assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Ron Hudson.

Q: How did practice go this week?

Hudson: "I thought we had a good week, but it’s been tough with the different nagging injuries and illnesses. I don’t know if we’ve had a day where everyone was out there fully healthy. We’ve had to move some guys around and because of that we’ve been a little inconsistent. Sunday was a great day. Tuesday was the first day we practiced after school and it wasn’t as sharp.”

Q: Is the team ready to open the season?

Hudson: "The guys have been ready to play a game for over a week. They are sharp, focused and anxious to play.”

Q: Was it tough to prepare the offense because you don’t know what the defense is going to do?

Hudson: "Not only do we not know what they are going to do, but they have a huge advantage of knowing everything we do. With that said, both teams still have to play football. We’ll have to adjust and adapt.”

Q: Does (former Cajuns offensive coordinator) Blake Anderson give Southern Miss’ defense an edge?

Q: Hudson: "It’s a huge edge. He knows our schemes and our personnel. He has knowledge of each guy’s strengths and weaknesses. We have to prepare for everything. Our team strength is leadership and we will need that on Saturday.”

Q: Tyrell Fenroy is always a big part of the offense, but what will it mean if he gets 65 yards rushing (and breaks Brian Mitchell’s career rushing record)?

Hudson: “I think his numbers are awesome, but truthfully, we need to look at them at the end of the season. When it’s all done, we can sit back and enjoy what a classy young man he was and everything he accomplished. Fenroy is the last person who is concerned about the record book. He wants to win and do anything and everything to help his team win.”

Official Louisiana-Lafayette Injury Report (as of Wednesday, August 27, 2008): Brad Bryant, OL (knee – probable); Jeremy Cook, DL (knee – probable); Nasser Jamal, OL (knee – out); Junior Jean, DB (shoulder – probable); Lance Kelley, WR (shoulder – probable); Derik Keyes, DB (hamstring – probable); Kyle Pirtle, OL (knee – probable); Caleb Rubin, WR (shoulder – probable); Derrick Smith, WR (hamstring – probable); LaQuincy Williams, DL (foot – probable).

RaginCajuns.com

6. UL Football No free ride for Cajuns at USM

UL's football team opens the 2008 season on Saturday night at Southern Miss in a harsh environment.

Life has been tough for the Ragin' Cajuns in Hattiesburg. USM - which leads the all-time series, 38-11-1 - has won 21 of the 22 meetings at home against UL.

The lone Cajun victory in Hattiesburg came in a 24-21 win on Oct. 21, 1989. Mike Lemoine drilled a 50-yard field goal to win the thriller.

Gerald Broussard, UL's defensive line coach, knows all about playing USM on the road. He's been involved in 14 matchups in the series as a player (1979-83) and coach ('84, '86-'98) for the Cajuns.

"I think Hattiesburg is a tough place to play for everybody," Broussard said. "They have a true home field there that they cherish and defend. They've had good football players, and that's the big thing. They're a physical, nasty-natured team and take a lot of pride in it.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • August 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    i've stayed out of this pizzing contest 'til now. i have nothing for so miss, and am a semi-fan of ul thanks to my daughter.
    Holy moly, I'da never suspected you were old enough to have kids let alone one old enough for college. Hey, be proud because you obvioulsy made a very smart kid. ~.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlove View Post
    _ You must need some work with your reading comprehension. Read my posts again. _
    Nice copout.

Default Re: Week 1 Mid-Week Practice Report

Hudson: "Tuesday was the first day we practiced after school and it wasn’t as sharp.”

Hudson: "They are sharp, focused and anxious to play.”

Huh?

Default Re: Week 1 Mid-Week Practice Report

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTake View Post
    _ Hudson: "Tuesday was the first day we practiced after school and it wasn’t as sharp.”

Hudson: "They are sharp, focused and anxious to play.”

Huh? _
    lol I noticed the same thing, I think he just meant that day but overall they are ready

Default Alternate Routes Back to Lafayette

What are our alternate routes back to Lafayette from Hattiesburg and their estimated time of trip? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Alternate Routes Back to Lafayette

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lafa.rg&2s=MS&aoh=1

That's the best alternate route in order to avoid the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    _ http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lafa.rg&2s=MS&aoh=1

That's the best alternate route in order to avoid the interstate. _
    Too many turns you don't need, that will add 45 minutes to the already extended trip. Here is a good route that will take you there and back while avoiding the LSU/BR & New Orleans traffic:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lafa.burg&2s=MS&r=s

Hey man, whatever it takes to G.I.D.O.D.B. ;-)

15. UL Football Chery hopes to help reshape UL offense

UL — Don’t expect the University of Louisiana passing game to operate in the shadow of its nationally ranked running attack.

That’s because as UL senior wide receiver Jason Chery says, the Cajuns’ pass catchers have a point to prove.

“Things are not going to change around here. We’re certainly going to run the ball, but (the receivers) want to make this team better and show UL is not going to be ranked No. 115 in the nation,” Chery said about the Cajuns passing attack.

UL unveils the new direction of its passing game Saturday when the Cajuns open the season at 6 p.m. at Southern Miss.

Last season the Cajuns averaged 155 yards a game passing and 6.0 yards per catch —seventh among the eight Sun Belt Conference teams — while the rushing attack ranked No. 4 nationally.

This year UL is advertising a more aggressive passing attack, using Chery and senior wide receiver Derrick Smith as the two main components.

The rest of the story

By BOB ARDOIN
    Special to The Advocate

Page 61 of 222 FirstFirst . 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 . LastLast

Thread Information