Page 5 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: How to beat S.Miss

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Number five will happen only if number 2 occurs. We will win if our defense and special teams play at a college level.
    Here is how we will win-

Win the turnover battle

Win third down on offense and defense

No big plays allowed in the kicking game

That is how all football games are won. Last year, the thing that hurt us most in the things above, was giving up big plays on third down when he had teams in long yardage situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Last year, the thing that hurt us most in the things above, was giving up big plays on third down when he had teams in long yardage situations. _
    NOW THAT YOU SAY IT WE SURE DID NOT "HOLD" on defense last year it always look liked we would take a few plays off a game

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Last year, the thing that hurt us most in the things above, was giving up big plays on third down when he had teams in long yardage situations. _
    Boy, if there's one constant in my recent memory of cajun football it's the dreaded third and long. Guaranteed first down!

It would be interesting to see these statistics:

1. What is our 3rd down stop percentage over the past few years?
    2. When the opponent converts a third and long (over 6 or 7 yards), at what percentage do they score on that drive?

From the stands, it seems like that's one of the most deflating things that can happen to a defense. I wonder if it actually translates to on-the-field numbers?

Here is how we will win-

Win the turnover battle

Win third down on offense and defense

No big plays allowed in the kicking game

That is how all football games are won. Last year, the thing that hurt us most in the things above, was giving up big plays on third down when he had teams in long yardage situations.
    That will win a lot of games. Here's hoping the Cajuns learned something from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spydaman70507 View Post
    _ 1.Stop RB Damion Fletcher & key on TE Shawn Nelson

2. Our WR need to man up If one of our underclassmen steps up hopefully L.Kelly or J.Mitchell
    3. Get to the QB he is young with little playing time.

4.No big passing plays from a team that is a run first.

5. If Mike Desormeaux Throws for 200+ we will win _
    Kelly has a much better chance to be our 3rd or 4th receiver this seaon. Moore or Lee should also see playing time along with Falgout. Mitchell did not impress me at all in the spring. He is extremely slow out of the breaks and did not show good hands. Even though he has a decent frame with height I will be surprised if Mitchell will ever be a starter or productive receiver. In my opinion the coaches missed on this prospect but I hope I am wrong. I see Smith, Chery, Moore, and Kelly being the top 4 receivers this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Boy, if there's one constant in my recent memory of cajun football it's the dreaded third and long. Guaranteed first down!

It would be interesting to see these statistics:

1. What is our 3rd down stop percentage over the past few years?
    2. When the opponent converts a third and long (over 6 or 7 yards), at what percentage do they score on that drive?

From the stands, it seems like that's one of the most deflating things that can happen to a defense. I wonder if it actually translates to on-the-field numbers? _
    This is the biggest weakness of the cajun team over last few years. I don't know what the 3rd and long %'s were but I would love to know and what it is against the national avg. This just kills any motivations from the crowd. The crowd gets up and gets let down.

Other weaknesses is the inability to cover kickoffs, return punts, and throw the ball down field or to the TE.

I'm not as generous as most of you. Kent State is a must win if this season is to even be respectable and I don't even have that game as a sure thing. I think we are going 3-8 with 4-7 being the absolute best. Not enough talent, especially on defense. Only in the theoretical can you come up with notions that this defense will be improved over last year.

How many wins does Bustle need in order to be retained? The wheels could be off this thing before we even get to the month of October.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBoudin View Post
    I'm not as generous as most of you. Kent State is a must win if this season is to even be respectable and I don't even have that game as a sure thing. I think we are going 3-8 with 4-7 being the absolute best. Not enough talent, especially on defense. Only in the theoretical can you come up with notions that this defense will be improved over last year.

How many wins does Bustle need in order to be retained? The wheels could be off this thing before we even get to the month of October.
    We were not suppose to beat Houston a few years ago but did. We will have the talent to get it done. I hope the coaches instill the confidence and they beat USM which has been a regional powerhouse which might just give this team what they need to make us all happy this year.

How many wins does Bustle need in order to be retained? The wheels could be off this thing before we even get to the month of October. _
    Actually, on paper there is plenty to be optimistic about. In terms of experience and leadership, the offensive backfield cannot get any better and there is plenty of talent and depth across the front line. The defense has no way to go but up. Special teams needs plenty of improvement but it can be done. So, looking at the same players and coaching staff as you, I think our results will be far better in 2008. I quit predicting wins and losses a long time ago but I'll say this team will be successful with the rightfully anticipated improvements in special teams and defense and smart play on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Geaux Cajuns!!!

I'm with you man. Don't get me wrong. I will be in the stands for every home game and a couple of the away games cheering my butt off, but until I'm shown something from this program, I won't get my hopes up.

I, personally, don't think it's a lack of talent. I think it's the one page play book. Draw left, draw right, option left, option right. It's not hard to defend.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

How many wins does Bustle need in order to be retained? The wheels could be off this thing before we even get to the month of October. _
    This has been discussed a bit, and I think the consensus is his job is safe with a 6-6 record. I would venture to guess even 5-7 would keep him on for another year. (Keep in mind neither of the two previous records would grant him a contract extension imo). Going 7-5 with a bowl appearance would get him a moderate extension.

A lot of people want Bustle gone, but let's remember for that to happen it would mean a losing season. Also, it means we've wasted the best running back/quarterback combo we've ever had in our school's history. (not counting the QB/RB combo of Brian Mitchell/Brian Mitchell)

Also, if Bustle is fired, is our Athletic Department prepared to pay at this point? We know our next hire will need a package of at least 250-300k for it to be taken seriously. I feel like we'd be in a better position to offer that in a few more years.

So Geaux Bustle!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    This has been discussed a bit, and I think the consensus is his job is safe with a 6-6 record. I would venture to guess even 5-7 would keep him on for another year. (Keep in mind neither of the two previous records would grant him a contract extension imo). Going 7-5 with a bowl appearance would get him a moderate extension.

A lot of people want Bustle gone, but let's remember for that to happen it would mean a losing season. Also, it means we've wasted the best running back/quarterback combo we've ever had in our school's history. (not counting the QB/RB combo of Brian Mitchell/Brian Mitchell)

Also, if Bustle is fired, is our Athletic Department prepared to pay at this point? We know our next hire will need a package of at least 250-300k for it to be taken seriously. I feel like we'd be in a better position to offer that in a few more years.

So Geaux Bustle!
    I think most people want Bustle to be successful and want a bowl game. I also think most people have given up on the chances of that happening. I'm sold on us getting a good hungry 1-AA coach. I think we can afford that now.

Good Luck Bustle!

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ I think most people want Bustle to be successful and want a bowl game. I also think most people have given up on the chances of that happening. I'm sold on us getting a good hungry 1-AA coach. I think we can afford that now.

Good Luck Bustle! _
    A lot of 1-aa pay more money than we do.

I want Bustle to Succeed, I questioned him all of last year and even made posting saying it was time for a change. If he wins great I am behind him but if the season goes like it did lat year I will be looking for a change. In my opinion it will take more than 300k to get a coach in here that can turn the culture around. GEAUX CAJUNS!

WE HAVE TO COME OUT IN THE SECOND HALF AND PLAY FOOTBALL!!!! There is nothing more stomach turning than watching your team go into half with a lead or down by 10, and the second half is an utter collapse. The football team should have refunded half of the season ticket price becuase they only played half of every game they played. Essentially only playing half of the season. I don't know if we need to slip some 5 hour energy in the halftime gatorade bucket or have a motivational speaker talk at halftime instead of before the game, but hopefully that has been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    WE HAVE TO COME OUT IN THE SECOND HALF AND PLAY FOOTBALL!!!! There is nothing more stomach turning than watching your team go into half with a lead or down by 10, and the second half is an utter collapse. The football team should have refunded half of the season ticket price becuase they only played half of every game they played. Essentially only playing half of the season. I don't know if we need to slip some 5 hour energy in the halftime gatorade bucket or have a motivational speaker talk at halftime instead of before the game, but hopefully that has been addressed.
    That is not the sign of a very good coaching staff. Half the job of a coach is to make the team believe they can win it.

Page 5 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information